Boot Camp Tutorials - People, you WANT to play these!

Order of Battle is a series of operational WW2 games starting with the Pacific War and then on to Europe!

Moderators: Order of Battle Moderators, The Artistocrats

Kull
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Boot Camp Tutorials - People, you WANT to play these!

Post by Kull » Sat May 02, 2015 3:34 pm

Normally I don't have much use for tutorials, and this game is so intuitive that you can probably succeed without them, but the whole idea - and implementation - of this "Boot Camp" tutorial is really FUN to play!

1) It's a Blue Team-Red Team concept so that as a player it's the only time you fight against your OWN equipment! I'm about ready to go into the real campaign, and will do so with a much better understanding of the strengths and weaknesses of my various unit types.

2) The messaging throughout the Boot Camp scenarios is consistent with the Blue Team-Red Team concept. It's true the graphics show the typical unit death sequences, but you do have the feeling that it's a real world training exercise.

3) The Boot Camp scenarios gradually introduce and then integrate the Land-Sea-Air triad, and it's a nice way to slowly figure out how all of this needs to work together.

4) I actually played them through twice, and sure enough, the actions you take (or don't take) in one scenario definitely have consequences in the ones to come. That was an announced feature, so it's interesting to see it actually play out.

Bottom line, anybody who just leaps right into the game is seriously missing out on something that is uniquely fun and interesting to play. You wouldn't deliberately avoid Pearl Harbor and the Philippines, right? So don't miss out!

adherbal
The Artistocrats
The Artistocrats

Re: Boot Camp Tutorials - People, you WANT to play these!

Post by adherbal » Sat May 02, 2015 3:39 pm

Happy to hear you appreciate it :)

The 3rd "fleet command" scenario hints about the US carriers having left Pearl Harbor, which is what saved them during the air raid. So it's a proper prologue to the main campaigns.

Kull
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Kull » Sat May 02, 2015 4:02 pm

adherbal wrote:Happy to hear you appreciate it :)

The 3rd "fleet command" scenario hints about the US carriers having left Pearl Harbor, which is what saved them during the air raid. So it's a proper prologue to the main campaigns.
Now that you mention it, yes, that was a nice touch!

RussW
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by RussW » Sat May 02, 2015 4:49 pm

If gamers would take the time to run the tutorials they would answer a lot of their own questions..I'm an older gamer from the 70's well versed in wargames and always go through the provided training on any game first to see how the game engine works.
Semper Fi

Erik2
Order of Battle Moderator
Order of Battle Moderator

Post by Erik2 » Sat May 02, 2015 5:26 pm

Me to, but then I also tend to read manuals for kitchen appliances :roll:

RussW

Post by RussW » Sat May 02, 2015 5:32 pm

Erik...Me too my wife says I'm glad the don't print any thing on toilet paper cause I'd be in there all day .If all else fails RTFM good words of advice in this instant gratification world
Semper Fi

Kull
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Kull » Sat May 02, 2015 6:17 pm

RussW wrote:RTFM
Amen, brother. Words to live by. :)

Return to “Order of Battle Series”