Puzzling Midway DEFEAT

Order of Battle is a series of operational WW2 games starting with the Pacific War and then on to Europe!

Moderators: The Artistocrats, Order of Battle Moderators

Gnarly
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Puzzling Midway DEFEAT

Post by Gnarly » Tue May 12, 2015 6:50 pm

I just had a screwy result playing Midway (U.S).

Don't remember the turn, but I got a message that the enemy fleet was withdrawing because they had lost most of their planes... OK, I pursued them to the exits...

I sank ALL enemy carriers (Got the official Pop-Up msg), demolished the Midway invasion fleet, shot down all enemy planes (that I could find), sank numerous enemy surface ships & subs.
I DID NOT lose a carrier, in fact I don't remember losing a single plane, although I might have...

By turn 31, I had planes scouting the entire western side of the map & couldn't find anything to attack all enemy ships seemed to have exited.
I returned my planes to their carriers to repair them for the next scenario only to get the following inexplicable "Defeat" message.

DEFEAT
"While code breaking allowed us to be fully prepared, we have failed to achieve any meaningful success against the Japanese fleet".
WHAT ????? #$#@$%$ I can't even continue, since the campaign came to a forced END!

Can someone PLEASE explain this ridiculous result?
Even IF I missed some silly secondary goal, the scenario is a resounding success, NOT a defeat!

Color me puzzled & very disappointed...

AgentTBC
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Re: Puzzling Midway DEFEAT

Post by AgentTBC » Tue May 12, 2015 7:12 pm

I think that happens when one of the enemy submarines is too slow to make it to the exits before the scenario ends.

TangSooDo
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by TangSooDo » Tue May 12, 2015 7:31 pm

First of all, that's a very impressive accomplishment. I won a victory, by the skin of my teeth on the second attempt, by sinking only one IJN carrier,damaging another substantially, and sinking most of the invasion troop transports. I can't explain why you wouldn't have gotten a victory with superior results. As an aside, for those like me who think Midway is tough (at Captain level), I would suggest allowing the USN to put several PBY's out on recon -- that's how they found the IJN carriers initially, and finding them with Fog of War in effect is challenging in my opionion.

Ron42na
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by Ron42na » Tue May 12, 2015 7:34 pm

I think Midway victory conditions is a known issue...this thread has some posts about it on page 3 along with a workaround to manually set it to give you the victory result so you can continue.

viewtopic.php?f=264&t=64457&start=20

AgentTBC
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by AgentTBC » Tue May 12, 2015 8:06 pm

Oh I suck, I didn't read the question carefully and answered as though you were the IJN.

Myrddraal
The Artistocrats
The Artistocrats

Post by Myrddraal » Tue May 12, 2015 8:26 pm

You're not the first to experience this, sorry for the unexpected and undeserved defeat. The hotfix solves this issue for newly launched scenarios, but not for ongoing games.

To continue your existing campaign, you can load the autosave just before defeat, press SHIFT + C to open the console, and type #igotnukes to get your victory. Any secondary objectives you have achieved will count. This will allow you to continue your campaign.

Sorry for the issue!

Gnarly

Post by Gnarly » Wed May 13, 2015 1:06 am

Thanks for the comments guys. The key to the win was pulling my carriers back out of range once the Midway invasion fleet was beat, and continually recycling those torpedo planes & bombers.
Use those fighters wisely & if you can, try to mix up who lands on what carrier. You can only launch one at a time, so if you have 3 fighters on one carrier the other two are stuck for another turn.

Nice to find out about the "Nukes" fix. Hah...
I'll check, but I thought I had all patches installed.

Return to “Order of Battle Series”