Order of Battle :Europe?

Order of Battle is a series of operational WW2 games starting with the Pacific War and then on to Europe!

Moderators: Order of Battle Moderators, The Artistocrats

Decaff
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Re: Order of Battle :Europe?

Post by Decaff » Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:16 pm

There are so many more battles they need to add to Pacific before they can move on to Europe. Being a fan of the SSI General series myself there just needs to be more content in OOB:P, The campaign is fun but ridiculously short, and in my opinion there a lot of unit types missing. So yea Pacific will need to be worked on for a while before they can come out with a European version.

Horst
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by Horst » Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:34 pm

I agree that OOB:Europe is not necessary yet. I think so too that the basic game could have needed longer campaigns on its release. The current number and types of units are okay to play with, although I hoped more engineers types (the early ones can hardly survive against late-war units) and a few unique light cruisers to complete the naval assets.
12 missions per nation in a campaign are definitely not enough to have fun building up your core units. Most battles take place here in 1942, and afterwards it quickly jumps to the end of the war in a handful missions that you can hardly enjoy playing with one unit variant for more than one campaign mission.
I can't remember anymore the older Panzer General titles, but at least the original Panzer Corps campaign offered 40 maps including alternative maps according to mission outcomes. I think 20 instead of 12 missions would have been perfect for each nation. Even each of the PzC DLCs offered at least 14 missions.

Decaff
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Decaff » Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:30 pm

Horst, just in case you wanted to look them up to play them or use them as reference:
Panzer General
Panzer General II
Allied General
Pacific General
Panzer General 3D

I put them in order of release (I think its right). The last 2 are my favorites.

Horst
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by Horst » Tue Jun 30, 2015 6:39 pm

I've played a couple of PG titles years ago, but can't remember anymore how many missions their campaigns had. I don't know if it comes to the same sum of maps, as OOB:P includes a couple of scenario outcomes within the same maps, while older PG titles rather offered alternative maps as paths although some look the same like others.
I'm sure a couple of custom/fan-made campaigns will sooner or later pop-up here before some more official content will arrive. People just need to get used to the editor.

Decaff
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Decaff » Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:51 am

I hope this isn't violating any TOS but if you were wanting a playable version of any of the General series from SSI, gog.com has several. For a little over $5 USD its not a bad buy and its a great reference for making scenarios. Here's a link to Pacific General - https://www.gog.com/game/pacific_general

HINT HINT to the devs! I want a larger campaign! :p

bcnkor5
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

Post by bcnkor5 » Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:41 am

Erik wrote:While I would love to see this game system moving to Europe, I think there's still much potential in the Pacific/Asian area.
The fighting in China, Burma, Malaysa, India is seldom covered in war-games.
Europe also has much play in the marine war:
Graf Zeppelin began on 28 December 1936, when her keel was laid down at the Deutsche Werke shipyard in Kiel. Named in honor of Graf (Count) Ferdinand von Zeppelin, the ship was launched on 8 December 1938, and was 85% complete by the outbreak of World War II in September 1939. Capable of projecting German naval power far beyond the narrow confines of the Baltic and North Seas. The carrier would have had a complement of 42 fighters and dive bombers.

----------------------
Download New MiniMod Updated v.2.1F Order of Battle Pacific v1.7.8
viewtopic.php?f=374&t=66031
-----------------------

German aircraft carrier Graf Zeppelin
Attachments
Graf_zeppelin_flugzeugtraeger_modell_01.jpg
Graf_zeppelin_flugzeugtraeger_modell_01.jpg (220.39 KiB) Viewed 1161 times
Graf-Zeppelin-1.jpg
Graf-Zeppelin-1.jpg (69.47 KiB) Viewed 1162 times
Last edited by bcnkor5 on Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:02 am, edited 4 times in total.

Grayfox12
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by Grayfox12 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:28 pm

I was thinking the same thing. It be great to do Europe. From what I saw, you get a taste of German side with the Tiger and Me262. Being this game was just released, I don't think they will make Europe until 1-2 yrs. I just hope they add more to it in a patch. Maybe add single player missions in Europe to hold us over until a full release is out.

bruce1944

Post by bruce1944 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:41 pm

Also think of air battles...sweet,,,Battle of Britain , Bombing the Reich, air war in the Desert...wow :D

Jagon
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by Jagon » Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:56 pm

Completing the Pacific theater first, I think is ideal. Would love to experience China vs Japan. Then turn to Med, NoAfrica, Italy along with Europe and Russia. My son and I played Panzer General and some of the others, including Panzer Corps. But with OOB's new engine, I'd like to experience it all again with their wonderful sound effects and animations. The slightly different tactics would make it a new experience as well.
Time was invented so that everything didn't happen at once.

Return to “Order of Battle Series”