improvements

Order of Battle is a series of operational WW2 games starting with the Pacific War and then on to Europe!

Moderators: Order of Battle Moderators, The Artistocrats

jeff00t
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

improvements

Post by jeff00t »

hi everybody

first, I m french , sorry for my bad english :(

I would like to propose some improvement for the next games or DLC for this very good game just to give ideas to make it more immersive:

- why not some historical background? my son of 12 years likes very much the game and makes some great interest in discovering ww2. He searchs on google what is a chi-ha or the "kate "plane.why not some details in game?
It should not be difficult to add some big pictures of each unit used in game.
- when a unit is "unlock" , why not give some extra like many pictures of the unit, large history of the unit...

- in each mission, why not some explanations : how many killed, wounded, which generals on battles, great aces ou great commander, facts during the battle. There are so low details on each mission they seems same than the previous ones. ..

thnaks for reading
jeff
my custom single player mini-campaign in order of battle : normandie-niemen: Image
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=374&t=79333&p=676302#p676302
adherbal
The Artistocrats
The Artistocrats

Re: improvements

Post by adherbal »

It's a nice idea, but a huge amount of work. We now have over 750 unit types in the game, writing historical information for each would be a full time job on its own. Not to mention translating everything into 4+ languages!
jeff00t

Post by jeff00t »

thanks for the answer Adherbal.

Maybe is it possible to make online (in the forum) a model of identity card for a unit type ? the work would just to create a model of identity card (one for all units) and just add the name for each card. but the huge work could be made by all the community : a lot of players would be happy to participate ,they could fill each card with possibility to approove or not the description/picture by others players . Each week, some units could be released in the forum to be completed and to be validated with more than 10 "likes" by readers ...

just a proposal: an example : the FCM 2C 1ère version (french tank of ww1) : (this one is too many detailed! )

http://www.hostingpics.net/viewer.php?i ... ge0073.jpg

with some free pictures found on the net:
http://www.hostingpics.net/viewer.php?i ... iginal.gif
http://www.chars-francais.net/2015/imag ... ine_01.jpg

Translation is not a real problem because ther is not a lot of words to translate, mostly are numbers ...
my custom single player mini-campaign in order of battle : normandie-niemen: Image
bjarmson
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by bjarmson »

That's what Wikipedia and the internet is for. Do a search for virtually any piece of equipment, ship, plane general, battle, etc, etc and you'll find an immense amount of information. So immense you can spend hours or days reading about a specific topic. The game wouldn't be a game if it was bogged down with info about everything.
simcc
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by simcc »

Well I don't mind writing up some information if there is a designated area for it. I think it's a great idea to be more details. Maybe the developers can enrols some players to do a write up for instance Eric seems to be very interested in the game so he might have informations for write up
Erik2
Order of Battle Moderator

Post by Erik2 »

The interest is there :D
But currently I'm polishing a new custom campaign with 13 scenarios and then I need to update many of my single scenarios...
So I'll stick to scenario work and leave this for the scholars.

It would be nice if the devs could create some card framework and the modders add info and art.
Loki1942
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Loki1942 »

Make it happen 8) If you guys plan to take OoB further and further into WW2, there should be a unit database. Involving the players would be a great idea, i could certainly contribute if needed.
Erik2

Post by Erik2 »

A unit database could be set up using the units.csv data and put it into something with a graphic front end, nothing fancy.
jeff00t

Post by jeff00t »

"The game wouldn't be a game if it was bogged down with info about everything"

--> i don't agree, because developpers shouldn't underestimate that more and more players are becoming older and will search educative games who don't exist! I m 41 and it is the average now for most players.

There is a market in educatives games. A lot of players are tired of games with just ennemy to kill again and again . Between scenarios or in the scenario, i would like to read some interesting info. I must do alt+tab and search on google for that and read some wikipedia text without pictures? where is the immersion?
i would like to go further : why not unlock some "unit data" (sorry for my bad english) or some "extra database" by achieving such objective? it could be fun to have locked "info" that could be unlock by playing.
bjarmson
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by bjarmson »

WWII is the most documented war in history. There are well written books on almost every aspect of the war. If you are not willing to spend the time reading a book, there is a plethora of information easily available on the internet—histories, databases, photos, timelines, etc, etc. If you're really interested in WWII, do some reading. I've probably read several hundred books about the subject and still find it infinitely fascinating. Asking game makers to include in depth info about particular munitions, personalities, or battles would require an immense amount of additional work on their part. I'd prefer they spend their time on scenario design and making the game stable, not telling me about Dauntless dive bombers.
jeff00t

Post by jeff00t »

The community could make this part.

Return to “Order of Battle Series”