Order of Battle: the new Specialization System

Order of Battle is a series of operational WW2 games starting with the Pacific War and then on to Europe!

Moderators: Order of Battle Moderators, The Artistocrats

AlbertoC
Slitherine
Slitherine

Order of Battle: the new Specialization System

Post by AlbertoC »

As you may know we are working on a major update for Order of Battle: World War II. This patch is accompanying the new exciting campaign pack: Blitzkrieg, finally introduces the Wehrmacht to Order of Battle! It also introduces a number of free features and today we’re going to talk of one of them.

The new campaign specialization system builds upon the old system, making it deeper and more fun, varied and interesting. The current system is simple: at the end of some scenarios you simply pick one between two choices, and you’ll continue with your campaign.

After the update this is going to change. You’ll gain a number of specialization points by completing a mission (5 every time you complete a mission successfully) and a varying number by completing a secondary objective.

Whilst in the campaign screen you’ll be able to spend your hard-earned points in a number of specializations – some will have prerequisites, such as having to unlock certain specializations, or having reached a certain date. These specializations allow you to customize your core army by obtaining special bonuses and unlocking new special abilities, and give even more flavor to certain units.

This allows far more freedom and variety than the previous system. We believe it will help with making the game more varied and offering more replayability.

Also, there are now more specializations than before: all the old campaigns have been adapted to the new system and they now have more specializations than before!

This new system is an exciting opportunity, and we believe it will nicely complement another big feature we have in store for the next update. But we’ll talk of that next week!

apec
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Re: Order of Battle: the new Specialization System

Post by apec »

Very Interesting. I guess that the total specialization points available in the campaign makes you select a few specializations only no matter how well you do in the campaign progression.
ikbenrichard
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by ikbenrichard »

Wish this system could be integrated right now, and not needing to wait a month.. See no connection with the new DLC so..
calmhatchery
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by calmhatchery »

what about the Morning Sun campaign? will it be the specialization tree for it?
Last edited by calmhatchery on Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mojko
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

Post by Mojko »

The new system looks great. I think I'll replay the Morning sun and Rising sun campaigns to test it out. Also it should be possible to carry over core units right? I wonder how that will work. Will it be limited in number of units you can pick or will it lower the experience of the units to certain amount?
Author and maintainer of Unit Navigator Tool for Order Of Battle (http://mfendek.byethost16.com/)
bru888
Order of Battle Moderator

Post by bru888 »

ikbenrichard wrote:Wish this system could be integrated right now, and not needing to wait a month.. See no connection with the new DLC so..
Well, they want to make money. It's an enticement to buy Blitzkrieg and any other DLC that you have not purchased yet. So, no, they are not going to release the new Specialization System by itself.

That said, my money is waiting for the taking . . .
- Bru
AlbertoC
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by AlbertoC »

apec wrote:Very Interesting. I guess that the total specialization points available in the campaign makes you select a few specializations only no matter how well you do in the campaign progression.
It won't be possible to select all specializations, but it'll be possible to get more than before.

Campaign progression matters since you'll get more points if you do well in the missions (and reach more secondary objectives).
AlbertoC
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by AlbertoC »

ikbenrichard wrote:Wish this system could be integrated right now, and not needing to wait a month.. See no connection with the new DLC so..
Well the system is still being tweaked, and besides this won't be the only change in the patch!
AlbertoC
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by AlbertoC »

calmhatchery wrote:what about the Morning Sun campaign? will it be the specialization tree for it?
All campaigns are getting the new specialization system :)
AlbertoC
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by AlbertoC »

Mojko wrote:Also it should be possible to carry over core units right? I wonder how that will work. Will it be limited in number of units you can pick or will it lower the experience of the units to certain amount?
It will be possible, yes, but the Import tool is a subject for friday :D
KeinGeneral
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by KeinGeneral »

If then also have long reported errors from Winter War and the original campaign of Americans resolved or these errors are left out ??
If you find mistakes may keep them or send to Google, the Google there are errors
ikbenrichard

Post by ikbenrichard »

AlbertoC wrote:
Mojko wrote:Also it should be possible to carry over core units right? I wonder how that will work. Will it be limited in number of units you can pick or will it lower the experience of the units to certain amount?
It will be possible, yes, but the Import tool is a subject for friday :D
Related to this, is it possible to get core units from let say morning sun to winter war (experience not the actual unit ofcourse) ?
KeinGeneral wrote:If then also have long reported errors from Winter War and the original campaign of Americans resolved or these errors are left out ??
Like to know as well.
AlbertoC
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by AlbertoC »

ikbenrichard wrote: Related to this, is it possible to get core units from let say morning sun to winter war (experience not the actual unit ofcourse) ?
I'm afraid not.
ikbenrichard

Post by ikbenrichard »

AlbertoC wrote:
ikbenrichard wrote: Related to this, is it possible to get core units from let say morning sun to winter war (experience not the actual unit ofcourse) ?
I'm afraid not.
Can you tell which scenarios are linked for the core units transfer?
simcc
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by simcc »

Thank you for listening and make the changes, really appreciate your commitment and hard work. This is long overdue but better late than never hahaha
Aaric
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by Aaric »

Is there any possibility to change specializations? Or did I have to run the whole campaign with the ones I choosed in early missions? Didn´t found a function to change it and the Game Manual is still on Pacific level.... maybe an updated Manual would be helpful.
Erik2

Post by Erik2 »

In my view changing specializations during a campaign is unrealistic. You can't send the troops back to school to unlearn...
I think part of the fun is anticipating what kind of specialization you'll need for upcoming battles.
For the Germans it is easy as there are currently only land battles. The Japanese and US will have to select between land/air/naval specializations depending on what area to focus on.
calmhatchery
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by calmhatchery »

yes. In the beta tests the specializations for Germany was more interesting because was more specializations but the Devs decided to cancel some of them like: "Winter gear" , "Fiels Camouflage" and many ... because they did not have a time to testing all...unfortunely
It would be better that players in "Blitzkrieg" can choose between some specializations...but can't discover all because every time the campaign could be a little different...
bru888

Post by bru888 »

An interesting aspect of this new Specialization System is that some specializations "cost" more than others. Some are downright "expensive," causing one to think about whether to spend the 5 or so points now, or "bank" them toward a future investment. At least I think that's how it works.
- Bru
hrafnkolbrandr
Senior Corporal - Destroyer
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by hrafnkolbrandr »

On the objective screen it shows five specialization "slots". If I pick up a sixth will it replace one that I already have, or will I get the benefit of all of them, despite only five shown on that screen?

Return to “Order of Battle Series”