Moscow Tips?

Order of Battle is a series of operational WW2 games starting with the Pacific War and then on to Europe!

Moderators: Order of Battle Moderators, The Artistocrats

Horst
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41

Re: Moscow Tips?

Post by Horst »

OOB is totally fine to start with this genre. I couldn’t get back to PzC or whatever PG game either anymore.
That was a nice cleansing there in Moscow!
I love to circumvent script triggers either in strategy games. Especially in RTS, where you are not given much time to build up units and get quickly slapped left and right from start. Do it totally unexpected, like not moving to a specific point of the map, and then suddenly a stressful session becomes a relaxing matter!
bru888
Order of Battle Moderator

Post by bru888 »

Yes, I call it my "contrarian style of play" which must be anathema to developers. I encourage them to pay me no mind and take no offense as I try doing things differently from what they intend. Overtime is my friend in this regard. Moscow is a well-designed scenario yet how could they anticipate somebody like me being willing to play out 175 turns just to "cleanse Moscow" as you put it? :roll:
- Bru
Andy2012

Post by Andy2012 »

@Horst: I find Panzercorps still rewarding with the long campaigns, unit upgrades, individual commanders. It looks old now and does not have a supply system, but makes your units special over a sophisticated, well-designed campaign. OoB should consider this; right now, my units gain experience, but they remain strangers and sort of replacable. And I cannot obsess about dozens and dozens of tank types and variants for my Wehrmacht.
@bru: For your playstyle, Panzercorps is actually ideal. Dont forget to save often. And you will get around those awkward graphics after playing a few missions, believe me.
GiveWarAchance
2nd Lieutenant - Elite Panzer IVF/2

Post by GiveWarAchance »

Ya Panzercorp has very well-designed scenarios, many unit types and long, long campaigns with units getting xp and leaders. The gamble of leaders popping up on units like mushrooms is the best part of the game cause they might be rubbish or quite good, especially if you are lucky to get a few good leaders on the same unit like I had a mountain infantry with 3 leaders that all added on movement so it had equal movement to a tank like 6 hexes a turn even through hills & mountains but that was very lucky. I got a lot of rubbish +1 leaders which used up valuable leader slots too like I had one infantry with 3 rubbish leaders on it so I named the unit 'Crud'. Most of my units had funny names usually about their leaders or about events that happened like one grenadier unit was good at clearing enemy infantry out of towns so I named the unit Ghost Town and one of my brown panthers was named 'Wholewheat Pancakes' cause that's what it reminded me of and another grenadier unit was called ChocoChip Cookies because of some event in the combat but I forget why.

OOB has better graphics, animations and supply system so I would say both games are about equal for playing value. I think when OOB gets more developed it will be better than Panzercorps cause it does have nice feel to it and lovely naval combat and amphibious warfare plus a lot of smaller things better than panzercorp so I think the makers are trying to make OOB into a next generation of panzercorps.
GiveWarAchance

Post by GiveWarAchance »

bru88, I don't think you are weird for wanting to fully secure Moscow. That would be fun for anyone. The scenario should provide an option to continue after the turn limit has run out so you don't need the cheat thingy.

About the heavy weapon infantry, were they not good at fighting despite all the slowness and fear of trees? They have support mortar too. I know everyone says they are slow but can't you move them fast in a mechanized APC?

Random extra question: have you played Hearts of Iron 4?
bru888

Post by bru888 »

GiveWarAchance wrote:bru88, I don't think you are weird for wanting to fully secure Moscow. That would be fun for anyone. The scenario should provide an option to continue after the turn limit has run out so you don't need the cheat thingy.

About the heavy weapon infantry, were they not good at fighting despite all the slowness and fear of trees? They have support mortar too. I know everyone says they are slow but can't you move them fast in a mechanized APC?

Random extra question: have you played Hearts of Iron 4?
Good idea about that suggestion for a "You have won the scenario! Continue to try for complete annihilation of the enemy?" option.

Yes, the heavy weapon guys are useful WHEN they can get close enough to the enemy to attack. They are more valuable when dug in defensively, especially with that mortar feature. Problem was, they were too slow in rough terrain and I could not afford to get them transports.

HOI is another game that I always wanted to get into but never had enough time. Only OOB has attracted my attention and garnered whatever time I do have for this genre.
- Bru
GiveWarAchance

Post by GiveWarAchance »

For me, I like heavy weapons, but my problem with them was when they got injured it cost an enormous amount of gold to restock them cause of expensive unit coupled with expensive transport. It is like that in Panzercorp too where I like to have some mountain troops, regular troops and grenadiers so the mountain troops are super cheap to restock but they can't face armor only infantry.

HOI4 is fantastic if ever have a chance to try it cause it has immense variety in how you form divisions and fleets and stuff, but OOB is just as good.
Andy2012

Post by Andy2012 »

@gwac: Yep, that's why I never go for heavyinf. Cumbersome, slow, expensive. If they are used against you, shell them and flank them, done.
@bru: You are really tearing that Blitzkrieg campaign apart. Lets hope they do a hypothetical campaign with the Wehrmacht plowing through Moscow or winning Kursk or holding Stalingrad or having an actual chance against the USAAF in Europe. Maybe even invading England and the US. I always enjoyed these in Panzercorps, gives you a whole range of whacky weapons just on the drawing boards in 43-45.
GiveWarAchance

Post by GiveWarAchance »

Andy2012 wrote:@gwac: Yep, that's why I never go for heavyinf. Cumbersome, slow, expensive. If they are used against you, shell them and flank them, done.
@bru: You are really tearing that Blitzkrieg campaign apart. Lets hope they do a hypothetical campaign with the Wehrmacht plowing through Moscow or winning Kursk or holding Stalingrad or having an actual chance against the USAAF in Europe. Maybe even invading England and the US. I always enjoyed these in Panzercorps, gives you a whole range of whacky weapons just on the drawing boards in 43-45.
Ya would be nice to have hypothetical campaign of Germany winning those pivotal battles and then going on to takeover Moscow and England. Even better would be a branching campaign which can lead to victorious campaign branch or defeat branch so we can play both ways. But maybe branching campaign is difficult for a small company to prepare but we can help as playtesters.

Return to “Order of Battle Series”