OOB VS Panzer Corps 2

Order of Battle is a series of operational WW2 games starting with the Pacific War and then on to Europe!

Moderators: The Artistocrats, Order of Battle Moderators

richfed
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

OOB VS Panzer Corps 2

Post by richfed » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:52 pm

I own the complete Panzer Corps series [Gold], as well as everything to date of the Order of Battle Series. To me, there is no comparison. I like OOB much better. However, now that I see a Panzer Corps 2 is on the horizon, I guess OOB will really have to up its game to compete.

May the players be the winners!

GiveWarAchance
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2

Re: OOB VS Panzer Corps 2

Post by GiveWarAchance » Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:44 am

Panzercorp 2 is gonna come out in 2018 and probably take another year or two for the DLCs after that. OOB has lots of time to shine.
I don't think they really compete cause all sensible war gaming fans will buy both series.

hrafnkolbrandr
Senior Corporal - Destroyer
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by hrafnkolbrandr » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:12 am

Bloody April 1917 coming out this year; Panzer Corps 2 the year after that. What a time to be a wargamer. :)

bru888
Order of Battle Moderator

Post by bru888 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:30 am

I have been thinking about this topic on and off all day today, after reading the announcement for PC2.

I feel like I have a lot of time and effort invested in OOB, so I don't really welcome the possibility of that being wasted. Yet, I realize that competition is a good thing, as summed up by richfed's "I guess OOB will really have to up its game to compete. May the players be the winners!"

GiveWar has the right idea: May both games thrive so that "sensible war gaming fans" (such as the one that I have become) will indeed buy and enjoy both of them!

Mr. h. has the last word: "What a time to be a wargamer." Indeed.
- Bru

Andy2012

Post by Andy2012 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:00 am

If Panzercorps 2 turns out to be great instead of just adding better graphics, then I'll buy it. Meanwhile, OoB shouldnt rest on its laurels. Lets see how future DLCs pan out.
Do they compete? For me, it is not really about buying one or the other, it is more about investing time in playing.
(I mean, popping into the forums between things is a nice reprieve for a few minutes, but playing a mission requires a few hours of time. I assume most of us can only do that every few days or even weeks, so there is a competition about that precious time.)
OoB has the supply system and fancy graphics and several gameplay innovations, like AT support, which I like.
Panzercorps however was waaaayyy more immersive (spoken briefings, units with commanders you can drag along), flawless operation with few bugs, bigger brand name and community and more campaigns and waayyy better mission design. BTW, bigger market share and brand name also means more sales, which means more cash flow for investment in a bigger dev team and so fewer bugs, better campaigns and better and faster support. (OoB has, at least in my view, always suffered from a small team doing what they could with few resources. Still a great job, guys.)
If Panzercorps 2 adds nicer graphics to that package, OoB will really have to fight for my attention. However, my experience with updating a game franchise to newer hardware possibilities has been rather tepid, to put it mildly. I enjoyed Thief I and II back then because they had innovative gameplay and a great story. It was more or less playing a magnificent novel. Thief's recent reboot looked marvelous, but the story was not done well. Same goes for Myth I, II and the botched III. Looking good is second, gameplay counts. Thats why gog.com is a thing - people go back to these classics because they play well, even though they look like grampa's armpit.
Lets see how Panzercorps 2 positions itself in that field. I mean, we havent seen any screenshots or gameplay footage.

Horst
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by Horst » Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:16 pm

If PC2 comes with the Unreal engine then it will most likely be easier to modify, as they are many tools around that can access all kind of unreal-engine games. It will still be only for 3D-freaks to implement new unit models unlike in PC1 where you basically just needed a 2D paint program and a text-editor to change and add units.
Adding new content to OOB is too depended from official developers if you aren't of a coder type that can handle the Unity engine. That's why the activity here is rather low compared to PG games. It simply takes too much time to toy around with something new. Unity is one of the best tools to develop games, but has one of the worst file structures for amateurs to modify afterwards.
2018 is still a long way to go, so no reason to already make much fuss about it. I’m still glad that competition for OOB is coming what hopefully brings improvements to both games.

simcc
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by simcc » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:26 am

When OOB came out I was a big fan. Playing pacific campaign is fun and different from PzC so I kinda like it a lot however when OOB move to Europe I think that's just a fast cash tactic and after winter war I completely stop playing OOB as I find that the developer is not doing what they are suppose to do for the game.

Point out many times OOB shine on naval, air battle and the supply system and deployemnt resources but time and time after the DLC didn't make full use of it and also the promise of importing core troops and making OOB into grand campaign style etc is not working, why? Because they keep jumping into pacific and Europe and back again so how to truely appreciate your core army when the game is not even decisive in their direction.

Why I play PzC for thousands of hours? Because of the GC that makes me restart everytime and it's still fun to customize the unit with hero gain to create different style and appreciate your core army, you need to leveled up anti tank to battle in the late campaign as green anti tank won't stand a chance so early planning and nurturing is fun in PzC and I was hoping OOB can do that too but sadly I dun see that happening, japanese troops carry over core? 2 campaign? Morning and rising sun? How do I appreciate my core when I rarely use them.

When pz2 hits the market OOB might die off as players dun spend time to play OOB. It's really really sad as OOB is full of potential when it launch and those first carrier battles is so memorable but sadly they prefer fast and easy work like winter war or german campaign. If they were to focus on pacific by now it would be a series that players talk about. Anyone remember the japanese carrier name and really love it and hate to lose it in battle like midway? No, why? Because you seldom play with it or nurture heroes for it so you treasure it. So many things could have been done for OOB to be on top but sadly it didn't. South east Asia campaign versus british, Dutch and French etc, invasion of US near Alaska, soooooo many possibilities

WarHomer

Post by WarHomer » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:29 am

I totally agree with Simcc regarding carry-over and longer campaigns. It offers so much more replayability and diversity.

As I´ve stated previously I rarely even bother with the last mission of a DLC since its goodbye to my core after that and it feels kindda pointless.

Great game though!

calmhatchery
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier

Post by calmhatchery » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:09 pm

I think that campaign with 14 scenarios also is ok but the Devs could make much more DLc's campaigns for one nation! and much more commanders with more randomness...It can give the game more surprise...
. For example
1. after finish the MORNING SUN + players could continue campaign in southeast Asia campaign with commanders from Mornirng SUN and all experience
2. SOUTHERN SUN" (for example :) 1940 - 1943 French Indochina, Singapure, Burma, and then another DLC for example
3. "FALLING SUN" 1943- 1945 with offensive in Burma and ICHIGO campaign in CHINA, and war in Manchuria in 1945 and (alternative) defending Japanese islands OR to make offensive in INDIA (alternative) and even Alaska US (alternative) and USSR (alternative)...
So we vave 3x14 scenarios!!!!! of course can be more it is depend of Devs...
I think that players could have a chance make a decison on the MAP which part to chose to fight with the enemy....

I understand that for the good balance in Risisng sun commanders will dissapear because at the begining of OOB nobody knows that this game evaluating so much...but in the new dlc for example for the japanese it is possible...SO a few dlc's for one nation or one mega big campaign will be ok...for the players
and you see that we can have big GRAND campaign!! :)
This example shows that everything is possible and can be use for the Germany, British, American even Italian....:)

bru888

Post by bru888 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:49 pm

@simcc

I don't agree with the doom and gloom forecast for OOB when PC2 debuts. For one thing, OOB suits my laptop and the equipment of many other gamers, I will wager. It provides just enough animation and detail to hold interest and satisfy desire for historical verisimilitude without causing frames per second issues. I have a feeling PC2 is going to be one of those games in which one will need to tinker at length with video settings and be disappointed when even the lowest settings are still causing choppy play.

Another thing. Could the devs be producing more DLC for this game (and doing other things, like updating manuals and creating more mods)? Sure. But I don't agree with statements like "sadly they prefer fast and easy work like winter war or german campaign. If they were to focus on pacific by now it would be a series that players talk about." So, if we had four Pacific campaigns instead of three (I am counting U.S. Pacific, Rising Sun, and U.S. Marines but not Morning Sun), then the game would be more fun, competitive, and viable? Don't think so.

And, having spent MONTHS designing, testing, and perfecting just ONE scenario (Oahu Invasion), I can tell you that there is nothing fast and easy in designing OOB DLC, especially for single players vs AI. (I use the term "perfecting" loosely. I did the best I could! :))

I, for one, am with the Artistocrats until they give up on OOB. I'm not giving up on it until then.

P.S. - Funny you mention "invasion of US near Alaska." I'm working on it! The working title is The Aleutian Crisis, 1946. It's not going to be what you are probably thinking. :wink:
- Bru

calmhatchery

Post by calmhatchery » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:49 am

Hey Bru It is cool that you are working on Alaska and Aleutian Crisis. Now Im too busy but I try to make my own campaign in Asia too :)

Return to “Order of Battle Series”