Destroyer can't flak a bomber over a sub base

Order of Battle is a series of operational WW2 games starting with the Pacific War and then on to Europe!

Moderators: The Artistocrats, Order of Battle Moderators

euramer
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Destroyer can't flak a bomber over a sub base

Post by euramer »

Hello, something which looks far from reality is that you cannot defend a ground based unit or construction like this submarine base in Kriegsmarine with the flak from a Destroyer if it is attaked by an airplane.
Don't you think?
PoorOldSpike
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Re: Destroyer can't flak a bomber over a sub base

Post by PoorOldSpike »

Yes, it's far from reality..:)
(PS- I'll run some tests)
Last edited by PoorOldSpike on Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
13obo
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by 13obo »

euramer wrote:Hello, something which looks far from reality is that you cannot defend a ground based unit or construction like this submarine base in Kriegsmarine with the flak from a Destroyer if it is attaked by an airplane.
Don't you think?
Which mission are you referring to? What is the situation? A destroyer should be able to provide defensive fire against air attacks to any friendly units that are within a 2 hex radius range.

Just for future reference, you'd probably want to make your inquires a bit more specific if you are looking for help when describing an issue you're having.
GabeKnight
Lieutenant-General - Karl-Gerat 040

Post by GabeKnight »

In OoB one has to differentiate between "small" and "large" air attacks. Some destroyers lack the ability to fire at high flying targets ("large") and thus won't give AA support when a friendly structure's under attack from strategic bombers.
13obo
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by 13obo »

That's a good point and true for all units too. Similar to infantry/mechanical ground attack values, a unit also can have small/large air attack values. A heavy infantry has small air attack value and can retaliate against such planes, but cannot retaliate against large ones as it has no large air attack.
PoorOldSpike
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by PoorOldSpike »

euramer wrote:Hello, something which looks far from reality is that you cannot defend a ground based unit or construction like this submarine base in Kriegsmarine with the flak from a Destroyer if it is attaked by an airplane.
Don't you think?
Congrats mate, it took a year but you're finally getting some replies..:)
But like the guys have said, we need more details of which scenario it was, and which aircraft was attacking, etc.
And are you sure it was a destroyer? Some smaller vessels can't fire AA at all.
What's a 'sub base' anyway?
Meanwhile I just ran this test in the editor, a Betty is attacking a fuel depot and the Gleave destroyer is firing AA at it, no problem there..:)
(PS- I then swapped the Betty for a small Val and the destroyer fired at that too)

13obo
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by 13obo »

Lol didn't notice the original question was from a year ago... What's dead will never die!
euramer

Post by euramer »

Hello, I really appreciate that you guys take the time to challenge my question even if it is from a year ago: Unfortunatly I don't have a save from from that map to show you.
It is from the Kriegmarine DLC: The map show west of France, Irland and the South of England. The submarine base looks to be Lorient on the map. The objective was to sink with you submarines enough merchant ships and to makes them also damaged by well placed mines. The german submarine base was often attaked by English bombers and the scenario didn't gives any AA capabilities outside the ones given by the german warships and the planes.
May be it was patched since then, but one year ago selfdefense using destroyer didn't work, only with BF109 did I manage to protect the base... :D
GabeKnight

Post by GabeKnight »

euramer wrote:The german submarine base was often attaked by English bombers and the scenario didn't gives any AA capabilities outside the ones given by the german warships and the planes.
May be it was patched since then, but one year ago selfdefense using destroyer didn't work, only with BF109 did I manage to protect the base... :D
It's the "Western Approaches" scenario, and the Brits attack the "Sub Base" (it's really a sub unit stranded on land :) ) with strat. bombers classified as "large". The DDs Type 1936A available at that scenario have no "large" attack capabilities - so yes, the only way to defend the base is by the cruiser's or battleship's AA guns or the aux. two german fighter planes. I don't remember if the carriers are available in this mission already (?), and if yes, you can also use them for AA support.

IMO it works as intended.

Return to “Order of Battle Series”