Possible idea for a campaign

Order of Battle is a series of operational WW2 games starting with the Pacific War and then on to Europe!

Moderators: Order of Battle Moderators, The Artistocrats

WWII44
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Possible idea for a campaign

Post by WWII44 »

I think it would be kind of cool if you guys made a mini campaign about the Flying Tigers and their exploits in China and Burma.
bru888
Order of Battle Moderator

Re: Possible idea for a campaign

Post by bru888 »

To my regret, I dumped on a guy recently for criticizing Kriegsmarine in such a way as to not take into account the possibility of having smaller, and therefore less-expensive DLC being made available from time to time; "mini campaigns" to use your phrase. My point was that not all DLC had to be major game-changing endeavors and that, for $9.99, Kriegsmarine was well worth the money.

So yes, I endorse your suggestion and second it. For every couple of Blitzkriegs and Burmas, there could be a "mini-campaign" offered at a discount to cover such topics of interest as the Flying Tigers. The more income that the Artistocrats receives, the more they will be incentivized to produce additional DLC. The possibilities are endless; I myself am working on a scenario about the Aleutians. Hopefully they don't do that one and beat me to it!

Heck, what I have been hoping for this franchise is that they will someday expand beyond WWII, forwards and backwards in time.
- Bru
w_michael
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Post by w_michael »

I like the idea of the occasional small, less expensive DLC that would concentrate on a small campaign. For example Operation Market Garden, where you could do 5 scenarios: Arnhem, Oosterbeek, Nijmegen, Wijchen, and Eindhoven. The units could be at the company level in each of the battles. In a full sized DLC Market Garden could be covered by a single scenario in a larger campaign, at the battalion or regiment sized unit scale.
William Michael, Pike & Shot Campaigns and Field of Glory II series enthusiast
Horst
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41

Post by Horst »

Yes, some smaller operations instead of only large campaigns is a good idea.
Andy2012

Post by Andy2012 »

WWII44 wrote:I think it would be kind of cool if you guys made a mini campaign about the Flying Tigers and their exploits in China and Burma.
Well, it would be a novelty. Flying Tigers are definitely not a well-trodden path like the Wehrmacht. However, an airforce-only campaign could be a bit boring since it leaves out most of the exciting stuff in OoB, which is the supply system and land-based combat. Mostly ignoring these did not do any good for Kriegsmarine as well. So you would have to structure the campaign around a Chinese force getting help from the Flying Tigers. Or something like that.
wolfpinguin
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by wolfpinguin »

War in Indo_china ?
Vietnam : vietcong, us, french ?
Indonesia : Dutch ?

W.
RES NON VERBA
bru888

Post by bru888 »

Andy2012 wrote:Well, it would be a novelty. Flying Tigers are definitely not a well-trodden path like the Wehrmacht. However, an airforce-only campaign could be a bit boring since it leaves out most of the exciting stuff in OoB, which is the supply system and land-based combat. Mostly ignoring these did not do any good for Kriegsmarine as well. So you would have to structure the campaign around a Chinese force getting help from the Flying Tigers. Or something like that.
As I was reading your post, I was thinking the same thing and then I came across it in the bolded sentence.
- Bru
bru888

Post by bru888 »

wolfpinguin wrote:War in Indo_china ?

W.
That's what I was saying. Endless possibilities. Just clearly label, price, and market them as "mini-campaigns." Come out with some major ones as well, from time to time.
- Bru
Andy2012

Post by Andy2012 »

@bru: I think the recent campaign stamp leaks (Volkskrieg, Endkrieg etc) in the Heavy Steel thread kind of outline such a huge workload for a small team that mini campaigns will probably left to poor Erik. Even if the devs pick up the pace with releases (with the UI and game system complete and able to focus on mission design, this might be possible), the workload sketched there is daunting and I'm guessing plenty for 1-2 years. And then there's Panzercorps 2 on the horizon.
bru888

Post by bru888 »

Andy2012 wrote:@bru: I think the recent campaign stamp leaks (Volkskrieg, Endkrieg etc) in the Heavy Steel thread kind of outline such a huge workload for a small team that mini campaigns will probably left to poor Erik. Even if the devs pick up the pace with releases (with the UI and game system complete and able to focus on mission design, this might be possible), the workload sketched there is daunting and I'm guessing plenty for 1-2 years. And then there's Panzercorps 2 on the horizon.
Ok, but I would hardly categorize what Erik does as "mini." His are generally "maxi-campaigns"! :)
- Bru
kverdon
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

Post by kverdon »

I think your Idea has merit. Though I found the DLC "Blitzkrieg" and "Kreigsmarine" to be rather hot messes, riddled with scenarios that just did not make sense and questionable game mechanics, I rather enjoyed their "Battle of Britain" DLC. I thought it represented the Battle of Britain reasonable well. Doing a "Flying Tigers" mini DLC along the lines of BOB would be a neat idea. Having grown up reading "God is My Co-Pilot" and the a number of other books on the Flying Tigers and Chenault, I think it would be a fitting tribute to what that group of flyers managed to accomplish in the dark days of WW2 in the Pacific/CBI.

thanks,

Kevin
w_michael

Post by w_michael »

wolfpinguin wrote:War in Indo_china ?

W.
I would like to see more WW 2 campaigns before branching off into other eras.
William Michael, Pike & Shot Campaigns and Field of Glory II series enthusiast
richfed
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Post by richfed »

Ditto ... I would like to see a COMPLETED WWII game before expanding into any other eras!
GiveWarAchance
2nd Lieutenant - Elite Panzer IVF/2

Post by GiveWarAchance »

I am quite happy they chose Burma as the next DLC as I had been wanting it.
And I want more WW2 campaigns, especially 2 more to round off the German Blitz game. I love WW2. There was no more glorious an era rich in experimental designs and wonderful battles.

That said, a campaign of the French in Indochina would be fun too. That lovely campaign is in bad need of some love in wargames.
WWII44
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by WWII44 »

A mini campaign about the Tuskegee Airmen would also be an interesting one.
enigmaja
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Re: Possible idea for a campaign Final Countdown

Post by enigmaja »

One of my favorite movies The Final Countdown is the story of the modern Nimitz aircraft carrier going through a time warp and transported back in time to Dec 6 1941. Unfortunately in the movie the carrier is brought back to modern times before it can attack the Japanese fleet on the way to Pearl.

It would be very interesting to have added to the Pacific series a Nimitz class carrier available and see how it could change all the scenarios !
GiveWarAchance

Post by GiveWarAchance »

If they make this kind of mini campaign, please make it a long campaign. The more battles the better. I love war! I love all war about all aspects of WW2. Yes maybe I am a bit nutty but war is lovely.
I think a small aspect of the war like Flying Tigers campaign can still be a long campaign, especially if it includes both air and ground fighting, even though the main focus is on the air battles.

Another good campaign idea is the Cactus Club on Guadalcanal which could include air, land and air battles fighting for control of the big jungle island. The potential for wargaming Guadalcanal is huge.
WarHomer
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by WarHomer »

I´m for longer campaigns for sure, but that doesn´t mean they couldnt incorporate/tie-in something like the Flying Tigers in relevant scenarios.

I had hoped this for Kriegsmarine, so it would have more replayability.
JohnMcCarthy1
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by JohnMcCarthy1 »

I would love to see (once they're done with all of World War 2) a campaign focusing on the hypothetical Operation Unthinkable, because it's pretty much never depicted in video games, and I would love to see the very late World war 2 and very early cold war prototypes going at it while Atomic bombs are dropped on Russian soil. I mean imagine a Heavy tank Platoon of T30s T29s and Pershings with King tigers rolling through the streets of Eastern Europe to combat IS3s and hordes of T-34 variants with only the assistance of infantry and occasional airstrikes , or if that doesn't sound Interesting, a squadron of P-82s and P-51s or some early jets (I'd love to see the XP-81) fighting off MIGs and YAKs to defend a squadron of bombers as they try to make their way to Moscow. granted it would be kinda hard, because it's all speculation.

I also think it would be cool if there could be a master campaign with all the missions currently in the game but say you have more resources but more than one army to split up on the grand map and you could transfer a unit from one front to the other (compensated by having it be out of action for 1 mission, to be active on the next mission on the other front).
I still would like to know why there is no "live" multiplayer for this great game.
Andy2012

Post by Andy2012 »

@JohnMccarthy1: Would be nice, but years into the future. However, if they keep up that outsourcing campaigns design approach the Artistocrats have adopted with Burma Road, the pace could quicken. But this is all just speculation.

Return to “Order of Battle Series”