Units historical names

Order of Battle is a series of operational WW2 games starting with the Pacific War and then on to Europe!

Moderators: Order of Battle Moderators, The Artistocrats

GUNDOBALDO08
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Units historical names

Post by GUNDOBALDO08 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:17 pm

HI Aristocrats, one upgrade that is less time expensive for you but make the game more intersting is give historical correct names to the units. The player could give names to the core units, but you have to give the names to ausiliares units and to enemy units: i’d like so much know if I have to destroy 1 british armoured division, or if my 7 panzer division has broker from 10 scottish infantry division instead of 5 yeomanry artillery brigade...

Oleksandr
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Re: Units historical names

Post by Oleksandr » Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:37 pm

Thing is, map scales are really different between missions - i'm talking about the scale of operation. Divisions would have to be changed to battalions, regiments, etc. Also, types of units are really abstract. I tried to start giving historical names to my units, but then i realized that it doesn't work that way :)

bru888
Order of Battle Moderator
Order of Battle Moderator

Re: Units historical names

Post by bru888 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:13 pm

Gundy does have a point, though. While the scale of operation cannot be fixed (i.e., standardized) in OOB for the reasons that you state, a scenario designer can designate the size of the units, as well as their historical background to some extent, by using custom unit names. Not much space, but abbreviations help. Here is a portion of my historical U.S. Army forces on Oahu in December 1941; these units were on the island at that time and I chose to represent them as battalions:
Screenshot 1.jpg
Screenshot 1.jpg (63.74 KiB) Viewed 418 times
- Bru

Return to “Order of Battle Series”