Order of Battle - The Unit Navigator Tool

Order of Battle is a series of operational WW2 games starting with the Pacific War and then on to Europe!

Moderators: Order of Battle Moderators, The Artistocrats

AlbertoC
Slitherine
Slitherine

Order of Battle - The Unit Navigator Tool

Post by AlbertoC »

2017 is gone. It was a great year for Order of Battle with many new expansions being released, greatly expanding the list of available campaigns, scenarios, factions and units, as well as adding plenty of amazing new features.

But let’s look forward, to 2018: there is much more coming your way. Work continues relentlessly and without pause. The goal is to bring the beloved Order of Battle formula to new battlefields and adapt it to represent the various types of warfare waged in WWII.

Next week we will also announce something community related… if you’re a fan of Order of Battle you don’t want to miss this, so stay tuned!

And now something which all players will find extremely useful. We would like to show you an amazing tool developed by a very talented fan, Mojko.

It’s the Unit Navigator, an online tool through which you can browse and compare all the units included in the game! Making the right strategical choice has never been easier. You can read more detailed information here. Thank you so much for your hard work and dedication Mojko!

Order of Battle: World War II is completely free to try. Download it for free and try it immediately for an authentic and challenging World War II strategic experience.
Andy2012
Order of Battle Moderator
Order of Battle Moderator

Re: Order of Battle - The Unit Navigator Tool

Post by Andy2012 »

Yes, marvelous work, Mojko. Well done!
Mojko
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

Post by Mojko »

Thank you, I'm glad that I was able to provide a helpful tool for the community. Now, onwards to victory!
Author and maintainer of Unit Navigator Tool for Order Of Battle (http://mfendek.byethost16.com/)
GUNDOBALDO08

Post by GUNDOBALDO08 »

9 january you store” next week we will also announce something community related… if you’re a fan of Order of Battle you don’t want to miss this, so stay tuned”
More than a week past but any announce arrived.. ?
AlbertoC
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by AlbertoC »

GUNDOBALDO08 wrote:9 january you store” next week we will also announce something community related… if you’re a fan of Order of Battle you don’t want to miss this, so stay tuned”
More than a week past but any announce arrived.. ?
It took a bit longer than anticipated but it finally got here ;)

http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtop ... 64&t=82351
GabeKnight
Lieutenant-General - Karl-Gerat 040

Post by GabeKnight »

@Mojko
Is the UNT being updated automatically with the v5.2.9 update? If not, I'd appreciate an update, please.
Mojko

Post by Mojko »

GabeKnight wrote:@Mojko
Is the UNT being updated automatically with the v5.2.9 update? If not, I'd appreciate an update, please.
I need to make the update, but it's not just uploading new data files. The terrain data files have different data format now so I need to make application changes as well. As I work full time I will have time to look at it during upcoming weekend.
Author and maintainer of Unit Navigator Tool for Order Of Battle (http://mfendek.byethost16.com/)
GabeKnight

Post by GabeKnight »

Mojko wrote:I need to make the update, but it's not just uploading new data files. The terrain data files have different data format now so I need to make application changes as well. As I work full time I will have time to look at it during upcoming weekend.
Great. Thanks. And it's always something after an update, isn't it? :wink: :)
Mojko

Post by Mojko »

New version released: 2018-02-22

changes:

- Game data files version updated to 5.2.9

If you want to see the differences in game data files visit this page.
Mojko

Post by Mojko »

New version released: 2018-04-07

changes:

- Game data files version updated to 5.3.0

If you want to see the differences in game data files visit this page.
Mojko

Post by Mojko »

New version released: 2018-05-07

changes:

- unit pictures added
- UI changed slightly to make room for the unit picture
GabeKnight

Post by GabeKnight »

Looks great. Thanks!!!
Mojko

Post by Mojko »

New version released: 2018-05-17

- game data files updated to version 6.1.7
SecretS
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by SecretS »

Very very good!Thanks a lot!
To be what we are, and to become what we are capable of becoming, is the only end of life.
GabeKnight

Post by GabeKnight »

Mojko wrote:New version released: 2018-05-17

- game data files updated to version 6.1.7
If it's not too much to ask, could you please put up a page with the "differences in game data files" (to v5.3.0) as you did with the previous versions. That helped a lot.
Mojko

Post by Mojko »

GabeKnight wrote:If it's not too much to ask, could you please put up a page with the "differences in game data files" (to v5.3.0) as you did with the previous versions. That helped a lot.
It's not a problem. I wasn't sure if it's interesting for anyone. I can post it the diff page every time. You can find the differences in here.
GabeKnight

Post by GabeKnight »

THANKS!
Mojko wrote:I wasn't sure if it's interesting for anyone. I can post it the diff page every time.
It is for modders who are lazy like me :wink:
fog1234
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Post by fog1234 »

Is there a combat simulator/combat results table/odds table for this.

I see what you've done is to have all the units in one place, but how does one predict the combat results ?
Mojko

Post by Mojko »

fog1234 wrote:Is there a combat simulator/combat results table/odds table for this.

I see what you've done is to have all the units in one place, but how does one predict the combat results ?
There is definitely no combat table as the calculations are way too complex - too many inputs are needed. OOB is way more complex compared to PanzerKorps because they took lot of "binary" mechanics from PzK and made them much more smooth. For example close attack / close defence in PzK is either applied or not. In OOB you have a "smooth" transition from normal attack to close attack based on terrain cover percentage. To be fair OOB does a good job of hiding a lot of this complexity so the system feels simple.

Making "combat" table is out of the question. Creating combat simulator is certainly possible if someone can provide exact equations, but I don't think it's really worth the effort. Unlike PzK, in OOB you will rarely get large damage output from a unit, combat is much less randomised, also there are situations where combat result is not applied fully as the defender unit is able to retreat and so on.

TLDR: You shouldn't really need combat predictions outside of the game. A tool can be build but it would be ridiculously difficult to operate as you would need to input large amount if input data. It's not worth the effort of implementing nor using as the game does a better job for this. Btw you can still compare unit attributes in this tool so if you want to buy the best unit for the job, this tool will help you do that even without combat predictions. Just you use "compare button" on the unit screen.
Mojko

Post by Mojko »

New version released: 2018-06-07

- game data files updated to version 6.1.8

See the diff page for more details.

Return to “Order of Battle Series”