OOB Confidence over Time

Order of Battle is a series of operational WW2 games starting with the Pacific War and then on to Europe!

Moderators: The Artistocrats, Order of Battle Moderators

GabeKnight
Major-General - Jagdtiger

Re: OOB Confidence over Time

Post by GabeKnight » Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:22 pm

Nice, four more campaigns.

I'm just glad that such quite an old game continues to be maintained and expanded regularly to this day.

There are exciting times coming with such skilled and enthusiastic modders still active in the community. I'm looking forward to this! :)

13obo
Captain - Bf 110D
Captain - Bf 110D

Post by 13obo » Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:29 pm

Hopefully all the content will have funding to come true.

Andy2012
Order of Battle Moderator

Post by Andy2012 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:04 pm

@all: Guys, lets not get ahead of ourselves here, shall we?. You are not sitting in Slitherine's or the Artistocrats' office, looking over their shoulders. Neither am I. Let's see what the future brings; I think this franchise has improved markedly and has handed in some stellar DLC content with Panzerkrieg. (Yes, some patches are still coming.)
BTW, I think bru wanted to talk about current issues and the short to medium term plans. Not pie in the sky wishes for DLC two years away. And as far as I recall, nothing is fully decided yet. Yes, speculating is fun. But still guessing. And nobody around here has the inside view. Most definitely not me. :D

bru888

Post by bru888 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:36 pm

Andy2012 wrote:BTW, I think bru wanted to talk about current issues and the short to medium term plans. Not pie in the sky wishes for DLC two years away.
True. You know, from the very first time I played OOB, I envisioned its expansion not only across the wide spectrum of WWII but to other conflicts throughout history. I just don't see how it's ever going to get there without taking care of business in the manner that I described in the OP.
- Bru

Horst
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by Horst » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:39 pm

Abandon all hope ye who enter here in this topic! :P
The game indeed stresses someone's patient if looking for European WW2 content. It was originally designed as Pacific game, but turned into a complete WW2 development-marathon.
I'm already curious how the Panzer Corps 2 dudes are going to handle their work this time with all the 3d stuff. My OOB-vision for Afrika Korps and Endkrieg for 2018 already satisfies me enough. May whatever comes afterwards.

Mojko
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by Mojko » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:56 pm

bru888 wrote: Sorry, but I don't buy the "small staff and limited time" excuse for lacking these absolute basics of running a successful franchise. As it is, it's like watching somebody indulging in his hobby which he barely has time for and picks up occasionally when he feels like it.

These things have always bothered me about OOB and make me doubt its long-term viability. This naturally leads to my questioning the time that I have spent on it.
I know what you mean. I think the small fixes like typos in the units data file should be handled quite quickly as we already have a quick-fix patch delivery system. I could help with detecting the errors in the units data file by adding a validation report capability to the Unit Navigator tool. I would need some additional information to do that, things like:

- case-sensitive list of all valid unit traits (or a location of this data within game data files)
-> with this I could generate a report with all units that have invalid traits (in the past typos in the traits prevented some units to function properly)

- information about the unit upgrade path, including discount upgrades (or a location of this data within game data files)
-> with this I could validate unit type and also I could display this information about the unit in the tool (provides more information for strategic choice)

If anyone knows if this information is available in the game data files, please let me know. I would be happy to improve the tool so we could find mistakes more easily.

EDIT: I found the discount upgrade path data, I'll be adding this to the Unit Navigator :)
Last edited by Mojko on Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Author and maintainer of Unit Navigator Tool for Order Of Battle (http://mfendek.byethost16.com/)

bru888

Post by bru888 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:43 pm

Mojko, you are a force for good around here. Keep it up, please. 8)
- Bru

Horst
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by Horst » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:13 pm

I should have found all typos in the unit traits and reported them for hopefully more confidence. :)

Assaulted_Peanut
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by Assaulted_Peanut » Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:57 pm

Speaking about Confidence... is there any news about when the next patch will be released?
It is pretty frustrating to have the community reporting bugs and issues and on the other hand having no reaction from the developers...

Shards
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by Shards » Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:10 pm

Hi!

I don't have a release date yet, but we're working on it. Circumstances outside of the project have delayed things recently, but I'm working with the mods here to ensure we've got a good hit list.

Thanks

bru888

Post by bru888 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:26 pm

Shards wrote:Hi!

I don't have a release date yet, but we're working on it. Circumstances outside of the project have delayed things recently, but I'm working with the mods here to ensure we've got a good hit list.

Thanks
And thank you for the update. By the way, per your request in post #2 herein, I updated the Current Issues Summary (5.2.3) in Tech Support. As I stated there, the list is my subjective opinion and not meant to be exhaustive.
- Bru

GabeKnight

Post by GabeKnight » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:33 pm

Assaulted_Peanut wrote:Speaking about Confidence... [...]
It is pretty frustrating to have the community reporting bugs and issues and on the other hand having no reaction from the developers...
Seriously, a simple "will add it to the list. thanks for reporting" or something simple like that would really do wonders to soothe some nerves and moods sometimes, you know...
(... coming from the developers and not publishers or community members)

Horst
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by Horst » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:36 pm

How about a web-cam for everyone to see how hard-working game developers are at moment? :twisted:

13obo
Captain - Bf 110D
Captain - Bf 110D

Post by 13obo » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:52 pm

Horst, you aren't going far enough. In fact, I propose that they start writing 3 daily dev diaries and install cams all over their studios (bathrooms included), so that all the players get constant updates on everything including the number twos they do!

Apologies if I went too far, but I personally think we get enough developer show up in the forums. If it were more frequent, they won't be getting any work done *whapow*.

GabeKnight

Post by GabeKnight » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:24 am

Alright, alright... :)
But come on, the way I understand it, someone has to report these issues back from this Slitherine forum to the Artistocrats already, right? And someone there has to collect them and preprocess them for the programmers. And this is being done already. So why not at least publish a bug-list or to-do-list or known-issues-list or however they call it at the end of the week? I didn't mean like answering every single post. But how many of these issues had been reported twice because nobody knew if somebody was already working on fixing them.

13obo
Captain - Bf 110D
Captain - Bf 110D

Post by 13obo » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:54 am

GabeKnight wrote:Alright, alright... :)
But come on, the way I understand it, someone has to report these issues back from this Slitherine forum to the Artistocrats already, right? And someone there has to collect them and preprocess them for the programmers. And this is being done already. So why not at least publish a bug-list or to-do-list or known-issues-list or however they call it at the end of the week? I didn't mean like answering every single post. But how many of these issues had been reported twice because nobody knew if somebody was already working on fixing them.
Just teasing you!

I've seen more responsiveness from developers and I've seen less. As long as the game keeps being developed, I'm happy and don't mind the wait. And if development stops, I find something else to do or look forward to. I guess I'm just too flexible, but you are entitled to your preferences, of course!

Was just trying to shed some humour on the situation as it felt things have become kind of tense.

Duplex
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by Duplex » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:36 pm

Honestly, all I want is a China DLC where you can play as China.
"Surrender is the ultimate defeat."

Custom Scenario Creator

Horst
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by Horst » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:46 pm

The Morning Sun DLC introduced a lot of late-war lend-lease equipment which sadly didn't come into action at the end. I guess these units simply fell to the 12-mission limit or the fact that the campaign is rather more useful to finish earlier and continue in Rising Sun afterwards. The base to create a Chinese campaign is there at least.

fuzzayd
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by fuzzayd » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:19 pm

In terms of 'small things,' adding even one or two Steam achievements per DLC to indicate campaign or level completion would be great. The now-tutorial and early DLC have them and it always made me wonder why newer releases didn't bundle some in.

Return to “Order of Battle Series”