Waffen Flag and Emblem

Order of Battle is a series of operational WW2 games starting with the Pacific War and then on to Europe!

Moderators: Order of Battle Moderators, The Artistocrats

GabeKnight
Lieutenant-General - Karl-Gerat 040
Lieutenant-General - Karl-Gerat 040

Re: Waffen Flag and Emblem

Post by GabeKnight »

terminator wrote: You can see :
- slovakia (next update)
I'm not sure this is the right flag for Slovakia of that time. They've been using it after splitting up with the Czech Republic, it was Czechoslovakia's flag (whole different) during Soviet rule (Warsaw Pact) and I think they were split up before Nazi-Germany, too. You should double check the flags.
terminator
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by terminator »

It is very complicated with flags for certain countries (Italy).
What I found on wikipedia (Flags in order chronological) :
Flag(0).JPG
Flag(0).JPG (22.79 KiB) Viewed 3595 times
Slovakia.JPG
Slovakia.JPG (20.93 KiB) Viewed 3595 times
Flag(1).JPG
Flag(1).JPG (25.53 KiB) Viewed 3595 times
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slovak_Re ... 80%931945)
terminator
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by terminator »

Slovakie.JPG
Slovakie.JPG (43 KiB) Viewed 3598 times
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_Slovakia

Slovakia, officially the Slovak Republic (Slovak: Slovenská republika), is a landlocked country in Central Europe. It is bordered by Poland to the north, Ukraine to the east, the Czech Republic to the west, Hungary to the south, and Austria to the southwest. Slovakia's territory spans about 49,000 square kilometres (19,000 sq mi) and is mostly mountainous. The population is over 5 million and consists mostly of Slovaks. The capital and largest city is Bratislava. The official language is Slovak.

The Slavs arrived in the territory of present-day Slovakia in the 5th and 6th centuries. In the 7th century, they played a significant role in the creation of Samo's Empire and in the 9th century established the Principality of Nitra. In the 10th century, the territory was integrated into the Kingdom of Hungary. After World War I and the dissolution of the Austro-Hungarian Empire, the Slovaks and Czechs established Czechoslovakia (1918–1939). A separate (First) Slovak Republic (1939–1945) existed in World War II as a client state of Nazi Germany. In 1945, Czechoslovakia was re-established and under Communist rule became a Soviet satellite. In 1989, the Velvet Revolution ended Communist rule in Czechoslovakia. Slovakia became an independent state on 1 January 1993 after the peaceful dissolution of Czechoslovakia, sometimes known as the Velvet Divorce.
kondi754
General - Elite King Tiger

Post by kondi754 »

PoorOldSpike wrote:Speaking of the Waffen-SS, this is me in a replica W-SS jacket I bought earlier this year to strut around town in.
I might award myself a "tank destruction arm patch" to sew on it..:)

Is it "Erbsenmuster" camo pattern?
PoorOldSpike
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by PoorOldSpike »

kondi754 wrote:Is it "Erbsenmuster" camo pattern?
I don't know, there were several historical patterns
terminator
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by terminator »

PoorOldSpike wrote:
kondi754 wrote:Is it "Erbsenmuster" camo pattern?
I don't know, there were several historical patterns
It looks like it a lot :
Erbsenmuster.jpg
Erbsenmuster.jpg (164.65 KiB) Viewed 3503 times
PoorOldSpike
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by PoorOldSpike »

terminator wrote:It looks like it a lot :
Erbsenmuster.jpg
Yes, but the real ones (below) were faded and blurry, but mine is too bright and crisp (sniffle)

Waffen-SS troops with Russian prisoner
terminator
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by terminator »

PoorOldSpike wrote:Yes, but the real ones (below) were faded and blurry, but mine is too bright and crisp (sniffle)
Where was made your jacket ?
kondi754

Post by kondi754 »

PoorOldSpike wrote:
Yes, but the real ones (below) were faded and blurry, but mine is too bright and crisp (sniffle)
I wonder how do you know what jackets have SS-mens in the picture?
The picture is black and white and poor quality.
I think this photo was taken in 1942 or 1943, it's a result of the observation of the landscape and the uniform of a Soviet soldier.
"Erbsenmuster" is Waffen-SS camouflage from the end of the war (1944-45)
This formation used at least 6 different camo patterns throughout the war.
That's why I suppose that your jacket is more like Erbsenmuster than the jackets in the picture. :twisted:
PoorOldSpike
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by PoorOldSpike »

terminator wrote:Where was made your jacket ?
It says on the label inside-
Sturm Handels GmbH
72108 Rottenburg
Deutschland

and I bought it from the Epic store in England..:)
----------------------------------------------------------------------
kondi754 wrote:.."Erbsenmuster" is Waffen-SS camouflage from the end of the war (1944-45)..
Yes you're right mate, this is mine..:)-

kondi754

Post by kondi754 »

So when you walk down the street you look like a grenadier of the Hohenstaufen Division, who fought with the British paratroopers at Arnhem. :wink:
(it's good that veterans of the 1st Airborne Division are over 90 years old :mrgreen: )
13obo
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by 13obo »

The truth is, if anyone from the 1st airborne saw someone sporting that pattern on the street knowing it was used by the SS, they'd jump even if they were 90 years old...

Reminds me of reading this awhile ago:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/worl ... 94661.html
Andy2012
Order of Battle Moderator
Order of Battle Moderator

Post by Andy2012 »

13obo wrote:The truth is, if anyone from the 1st airborne saw someone sporting that pattern on the street knowing it was used by the SS, they'd jump even if they were 90 years old...

Reminds me of reading this awhile ago:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/worl ... 94661.html
Let's not start calling names...

Spike is not a Nazi (and you probably didnt mean it that way), but I think users generally should not post pics of themselves in this forum established for anonymity. Let's leave it at that, shall we? For us, this is just a jacket. :D
13obo
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by 13obo »

True- didn't mean to call anyone anything and the article obviously relates to a very different situation, though the topic here is still hitting a nerve.

I'm struggling to understand the rationale behind wearing such a patterned jacket knowing its historical background. There must be hundreds of other similar jackets with different patterns (and names), why pick this one? It's honest curiosity!
kondi754

Post by kondi754 »

13obo wrote:True- didn't mean to call anyone anything and the article obviously relates to a very different situation, though the topic here is still hitting a nerve.

I'm struggling to understand the rationale behind wearing such a patterned jacket knowing its historical background. There must be hundreds of other similar jackets with different patterns (and names), why pick this one? It's honest curiosity!
Maybe Spike is a member of a historical reenactment group.
People have different passions.
13obo
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by 13obo »

Fair, that's a good reason indeed.
PoorOldSpike
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by PoorOldSpike »

No I'm not a re-enactor, it's just that I fancied buying myself a camo combat jacket, and as there are lots of different styles and designs and colour patterns on sale everywhere (US/British/German etc) I simply decided to go for the Waffen-SS one for fun, and it'll also help me blend in with the landscape when I go hiking and camping..:)
The nazis once bombed my mother (what cheek!) but that was 78 years ago, so as far as I'm concerned, WW2 is ancient history and Hitler and his psycho nazi party have no influence on today's world,
"The target marker flares looked quite pretty floating slowly down in the night sky" my mother told me about the time the Luftwaffe raided her home city of Leicester (England) in November 1940 when she was 18. She and her family survived without a scratch, but others didn't.
As a kid I remember seeing rubbled houses in Leicester caused by bomb damage and thinking how Hitler and his chums can't have been very nice people to do that.
Likewise, I can't understand why they didn't like jews, as I've never met a jew I didn't like, they're warm friendly people and I've even worked at two jewish family firms.
Hitler's family was a bit dysfunctional, so maybe he was jealous because he never had a warm loving family like jews have got?

Bullet-riddled Heinkel 111 shot down by Spitfires in Scotland, 1940, haha..:)
http://www.mission4today.com/index.php? ... forum&f=92
http://www.mission4today.com/index.php? ... orum&f=134
kondi754

Post by kondi754 »

You're a decent man, Spike.
BTW, I've been reading your posts here for some time and I think you should become moderator of the OoB's forum.
Perhaps you don't want it, but I think you'd be a great moderator. :)
13obo
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by 13obo »

Agree to both of kondi's statements. Spike's a great guy, and seeing his infinite willingness to help, would make a great moderator too.

Apologies again if I offended. My posts weren't meant to offend, but rather to help establish clear lines on the topic, which can be quite grey.

Myself, I'm only 30 years old and even my dad was born in '47. I love history and it's sad that these days the world seems to rapidly forget the horrible legacy of that war. People are becoming more aggressive by the day to "others", because they are used to living in peace. Less and less appreciate the hard work after the war to repair relationships between nations/groups of people/cultures.
CoolDTA
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by CoolDTA »

I concur. Spike would be an excellent mod. Image

Return to “Order of Battle Series”