Fallschirmjager/paratroops

Order of Battle is a series of operational WW2 games starting with the Pacific War and then on to Europe!

Moderators: Order of Battle Moderators, The Artistocrats

dks
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Fallschirmjager/paratroops

Post by dks »

I looked around the forum and missed or cannot find if there is a limit to paras transports in a scenario.

I'm playing Blitzkrieg camp at the moment getting the ins and outs of things OoB.

Norway I purchased 2 Falls and learned how to deploy and send in transport to wanted area on the map. that gave me 4 Falls in the scn with 2 aux paras to start with.

at Dunkirk I learned they get supply\air drop status in mid flight, say about 2nd turn due to supply. I really like the paras rules.

ok back to my questions. how or where can I find out how many air transports are available per scenario before I purchase my paras and locate them in airfields on the deploy turn? is there a limit?

thanks in advance and I'm really enjoying Blitzkrieg. already purchased Panzerkrieg and know I'll enjoy it as well.
uran21
Panzer Corps Map Designer
Panzer Corps Map Designer

Re: Fallschirmjager/paratroops

Post by uran21 »

Hi dks,

Long time no see :)

There is no limit on available transports but boarding paras will cost you 20 Resource Points.
dks
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by dks »

Hi uran21,

I'm always in the shadows lol.

getting used to the UI and all. I really like the paras rules. makes them very interesting and fun to use.

ok: no limit on transports soooooooooooo, this changes my strategy as far as infantry use goes. have to go back and see how many I can squeeze in from Mlawa on. the 4 CP's per unit is the struggle for now. I love the 8 range 17 cm K 18 arty but they cost 4 CP's also. there's my quandary before Minsk.

thanks for the info and good to talk to you again :D
13obo
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by 13obo »

dks, I was also a fan of Paras initially and didn't get why would one buy the infantry or heavy infantry given their overall advantage for similar CP cost. Well, there are two main reasons:

- Paras get their annual upgrade around second half to end of year, while infantry/heavy infantry is around Feb/Mar. As such, you'll be playing with '40s paras even for most of '41 scenarios.

- Infantry is useful in OOB, but the game is not as frivolous with resources as PzC, and due to cost to purchase/replace of tanks/artillery especially in later scenarios when you have experience and expensive models, you will want the infantry to be as cheap as possible or you'll run tight on RP (at least on 5th difficulty). You will probably find that experience is important on artillery/tanks so that they do not not suffer so much from efficiency loss, but infantry is cheap to replace in the back for a turn and then send them to the meat-grinder again.

So to conclude- yes, paras are good, but keep your infantry core diversified. Most units have their uses on every scenario. For ex, almost every scenario has open terrain with roads for heavy infantry to occupy those cities without much cover, there are forests for regular squishy infantry to hide but still move fast, and there are artilleries in the back, waiting for a para drop on their head.

I hope this helps! Good luck!
dks
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by dks »

@13obo thanks for the excellent advice. right now I'm playing at 3 difficulty until I digest the ins and outs of the rules(especially the los in the game). even playing at 3 dif, I keep going back to regular infantry on my retries. you bring up the point that has been nagging me....buy seasoned replacements for my core infantry or fresh to stock pile my RP's ?

for my play style so far tanks are my RP killers on the ground as you mentioned. the AI is real good at exploiting open spots to kill my supply(that dreaded red dot I'm beginning to respect all to well).

ok: back to the drawing board. going to have 2 Fallschirmjagers as back up for those tight scns like Ardennes push thru and Dunkirk. elite core units.

again thanks for the help.
13obo
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by 13obo »

Elite/standard replacements is a long-standing debate in OOB if you search the forum. It is definitely not a clear-cut as in PzC where elite units vastly outperform. The benefits of experience here are a lot less and given the low RP as well, one should definitely switch between the two.

Some units that don't take direct damage like artilleries/bombers/strategic bombers/and maybe even ATs are definitely worth always getting elite replacements for (unless you're really low on RP that is). For the frontliners like infantry/tanks/fighters, I try to balance the exp to be around the same level for all units and follow a simple rule of thumb to switch between elite/regular replacements:

Elite replacement if (average experience of frontline fighters)/10 > amount of RP I currently have, otherwise use regular replacements. For example, if a tank with 3500 experience needs replacements, and I have 200 RP, and my average experience of the rest of the front liners is around 2000, then use regular replacements. If another infantry at 1000 exp needs replacement in the same situation, I'd use elite replacements for it.

Ofc the above rule isn't perfect and if you have a badly damaged core, and 200 RP, you'd probably will use it all up even with standard replacements. The rule works when making in-battle decisions and the battle is progressing in a stable way.

Ah, I almost forgot! When considering replacements for a unit between scenarios, consider if it's viable/possible to upgrade that unit instead. When a unit is low on strength, an upgrade takes it to 10 str with no exp loss at slightly higher cost than if you had upgraded a unit at 10 strength directly. That is, the cost for the extra replacements is reduced greatly (or the cost of the upgrade).

Return to “Order of Battle Series”