Order of Battle: Sandstorm will hit the shelves on May 16th

Order of Battle is a series of operational WW2 games starting with the Pacific War and then on to Europe!

Moderators: The Artistocrats, Order of Battle Moderators

steevodeevo
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Re: Order of Battle: Sandstorm will hit the shelves on May 1

Post by steevodeevo »

OK, I was a tester, couldn't commit as much time to Sandstorm as I would have liked but didn't pick up on that.

It doesn't seem to make a lot of sense to increase the difficulty in older well balanced campaigns as well as beta Sandstorm, just because Sandstorm was playing a little too easy to 'very' experienced play testers.

Each campaign is so different that an universal uplift in challenge could easily have a major impact and a different impact on each campaign or even map. This is what I think I have found going back to Panzerkreig. PK is now (for me) crazy tough on level 3. Too rough in my opinion.

Originally difficulty was pretty much the number of units in a division, level 3 being 10. If difficulty is increased but the number of units for each level is the same, what has changed?

Further thought - if starting points for unit purchase and repair and per turn RPs for repairs have been reduced to increase challenge (I've been thinking about what kind of universal meta-changes could be used to increase difficulty across the board for all campaigns without delving into each specific campaign), then this would pretty much explain my current conundrum.

In Panzerkreig for example, Im pretty sure I can't deploy anywhere near the number of starting units on each map as I used too. In fact I can't even fully repair the few I can deploy. Furthermore I get so few points per turn I can not repair strength each turn, even if I dig in and go on the defensive, such that I start with units at half strength and they pretty much stay that way, static, too weak to advance and die where they sit.

I'm not exaggerating, I'm at a standstill. I'm a reasonably experienced player, have played these missions before but I'm totally unable to manoeuvre, attack or even contemplate winning the map.

Has anyone taken a look at the impact on difficulty increases retrospectively on the earlier released campaigns?
Shards
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by Shards »

Hi,

There were no universal changes to the game difficulty settings.

I believe that the designer tweaked some of the Panzerkrieg missions post-release to fix some issues, but I don't believe they set about to create an increased challenge like you're reporting?
steevodeevo

Post by steevodeevo »

Shards wrote:Hi,

There were no universal changes to the game difficulty settings.

I believe that the designer tweaked some of the Panzerkrieg missions post-release to fix some issues, but I don't believe they set about to create an increased challenge like you're reporting?
Thanks Shards, then i'm baffled.
If anyone has time in the future, it would be great to get some feedback from folks replaying Panzerkrieg at the level they played it previously and see what they think.

Return to “Order of Battle Series”