SEMPER FI VOICE OVER INTRO

Order of Battle is a series of operational WW2 games starting with the Pacific War and then on to Europe!

Moderators: Order of Battle Moderators, The Artistocrats

JohnRN
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

SEMPER FI VOICE OVER INTRO

Post by JohnRN » Sat May 12, 2018 9:55 pm

I'm terribly sorry to bother folks with this but I hear an era-radio announcer sharing news about the USMC in the Pacific.

At the end of his bit, he says, "Semper Fi!," which is appropriate but he pronounces it 'fee,' which I'm not sure what means and not 'fye,' which I'm 99.99% certain is the correct pronunciation of the USMC's proud motto, yea, their battle cry.

I'm not here to cast dispersions on a fine game and wonderful group of producers/artists. I've just run across a party[ies] that firmly believe it was pronounced 'fee' because "the true Latin pronunciation is 'fee' and that "superior officers in World War II were conversant in Latin."

I have a hard time even writing what he thinks, it seems so ludicrous.... Like a radio announcer announced it JUST for the superior officers, who were sitting back and listening to the radio, with their snifters of brandy, wearing polished Calvary riding boots, etc., and not the general listening audience who were "normal" and non-Latin speakers... like a bad WWII movie.

Any input on this? :?

Erik2
Order of Battle Moderator
Order of Battle Moderator

Re: SEMPER FI VOICE OVER INTRO

Post by Erik2 » Sun May 13, 2018 9:22 am

From wikipedia.

Semper fidelis (Latin pronunciation: [ˈsɛm.pɛr fɪˈdeː.lɪs]) is a Latin phrase that means "always faithful" or "always loyal". It is the motto of the United States Marine Corps usually shortened to Semper fi.

So Fi could be considered a short form of Fidelity.

Return to “Order of Battle Series”