"10Gazala", DRv2.0 (continued)
First of all, thanks for this scenario. It was a great, massive battle, and by far the best mission of this campaign yet IMO. This time, with the huge Axis offensive, the wast deserts of this large map really payed out for many different tactics and approaches on the enemy advance. It was fun, just great!
But I've got a TON of RPs (from the Crusader mission I think). It's just too much. Can't buy anything anyways. Even could upgrade THREE of my Wellingtons from MkII to MkIII for something like 140RP each (for a lousy one more point air defense or something similar silly). And you're still giving me new core units each mission. I know I'm repeating myself, but please make them aux. units instead, otherwise they remain unused. My core unit roster is growing and becoming confusing. I'm seriously considering disbanding many of them just so that they're not in the way anymore - and I hate doing that, what a waste...
The only core losses I've had so far were some outdated fighters, which I actually used as bait to save up on my high star, fully upgraded "true" core dogfighters. I mean, why should I use the new units when I can use my experienced veterans instead?
On the bright side, I'm going to treat myself with a King George class
battleship now. Heck, I can't deploy it, but at least I can say that I owned one, even if it stays in drydock.
- there are many arty batteries behind enemy lines that have static/defend-hex order only. Intended?
- there's some minor left-over no-mans-land on the map, probably mines (near Gazala, south). I don't know how you decide the ownership of the mines anyways...I think that either the player or the enemy should be aware of them.
- you could really resize the map this time. Everything east of Tobruk wasn't needed. The rest, I'd keep...
- you should rephrase the sec. obj. to "capture or hold all sec. objectives" - although I don't think it's possible to hold Gazala and Bir Hachiem with no deployment areas nearby.
- how about some early victory trigger, as I was done (Tabula Rasa) at turn 20-ish. Or reduce the turn limit to 25.
(and I'm still convinced that some deployment areas would do no harm. Even as it was now, the weak forward units managed to stall the enemy offensive long enough for my units to arrive from the rear. The Axis never got past the Gazala line, so to speak)