Rising Sun / Java conundrum

Order of Battle is a series of operational WW2 games starting with the Pacific War and then on to Europe!

Moderators: Order of Battle Moderators, The Artistocrats

GabeKnight
Lieutenant-General - Karl-Gerat 040

Rising Sun / Java conundrum

Post by GabeKnight »

v6.1.8
(but the issue was already there in v6.1.7)

When did this happen? Supply trucks spawning out of nowhere when Batavia's taken...
Screenshot 464.jpg
Screenshot 464.jpg (576.2 KiB) Viewed 4620 times
Screenshot 465.jpg
Screenshot 465.jpg (575.62 KiB) Viewed 4620 times
Screenshot 466.jpg
Screenshot 466.jpg (606.99 KiB) Viewed 4620 times
Last edited by GabeKnight on Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deja Bru
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Re: Rising Sun / Java conundrum

Post by Deja Bru »

Gabe, I think that is by design. It's this trigger here:
Screenshot 1.jpg
Screenshot 1.jpg (197.49 KiB) Viewed 4595 times
One of the primary objectives is to destroy 10 cargo trucks. There's only 17 on the map to begin with and they all start skedaddling for the exit sooner or later. What I think these spawned trucks are is your reward for the secondary objective of taking Batavia in 10 turns or less. Basically, the reward is to give you these three sitting ducks to knock off toward the achieving the primary goal:
Screenshot 2.jpg
Screenshot 2.jpg (143.51 KiB) Viewed 4595 times
- Bru
GabeKnight

Post by GabeKnight »

Deja Bru wrote:What I think these spawned trucks are is your reward for the secondary objective of taking Batavia in 10 turns or less. Basically, the reward is to give you these three sitting ducks to knock off toward the achieving the primary goal]
Thanks, Bruce, for pointing that out. (yeah, yeah, I was lazy again and didn't check myself before posting :wink: )

But that's new, right? I must have played this scenario about half a dozen of times by now, always meeting all the secondary objectives. And I always thought that the "Braat Overvalwagen" unit was the reward for capturing Batavia in less than 10 turns...

I remember the only real challenge for me in this mission was the destuction of the trucks objective. Before them reaching the well-defended positon around Bandung and massing-together there, that is. How could I have missed THREE trucks spawning right in front of me???

Do you remember it to be like that the last time you played this mission?
This one's a strange trigger, too.
This one's a strange trigger, too.
Screenshot 484.jpg (242.61 KiB) Viewed 4567 times
Deja Bru

Post by Deja Bru »

GabeKnight wrote:
Deja Bru wrote:How could I have missed THREE trucks spawning right in front of me???

Do you remember it to be like that the last time you played this mission?
I'm not sure. We both may not be remembering it from the previous time(s) that we played this scenario because the player has to take Batavia in 10 turns to get this reward. Maybe you and I did not do that in our previous go-arounds.

Regarding that "Event: Batavia Truck Spawn" trigger, beginning on turn 6 and every third turn after that for three iterations, it generates another cargo truck. I ran the scenario with #johnconnor and #orbitalcommand to see what it does. This single truck on turn 1 . . .
Screenshot 4.jpg
Screenshot 4.jpg (153.41 KiB) Viewed 4544 times
. . . by turn 17 had produced triplets parthenogenetically! (Look it up. :roll: )
Screenshot 5.jpg
Screenshot 5.jpg (168.97 KiB) Viewed 4544 times
Don't forget that although you start with 17 trucks on the map, they all start heading for the exit either immediately or soon. So the developers are giving you an even chance of winning the scenario by spawning these extra trucks.
- Bru
Shards
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by Shards »

I had another user reporting an issue where his Aux Engineer "disappeared" during this map and so was unable to repair the bridges? Anything in the triggers that might cause that Bru?
Erik2
Order of Battle Moderator
Order of Battle Moderator

Post by Erik2 »

I love it when the devs is asking Bru for some trigger CSI time :D
Bru should get a suitable CSI avatar.
Deja Bru

Post by Deja Bru »

Erik2 wrote:I love it when the devs is asking Bru for some trigger CSI time :D
Bru should get a suitable CSI avatar.
For those who are unaware, "CSI" in this context stands for "Campaign and Scenario Investigator." :)

Hey, it's something I enjoy doing and when you say "devs" you really are referring to a very small number of individuals with limited time and resources. So if the forum community can assist in some manner, and have fun doing it, why not?

A few times here, I have referred to the phenomenon called Out of the Park Baseball. I joined that community 12 years ago and it was much like this one back then. We helped the game grow. Today, OOTPB is recognized, authorized, and in partnership with Major League Baseball. Let this suffice to attest to that success story.

Anyway, I cannot look at OOB right now because I must waste the next 8 hours working for a living. :( Unfortunately, I need to raise enough money to pay for OOB DLC somehow! :)
- Bru
GabeKnight

Post by GabeKnight »

Things like this are driving me crazy. Even reinstalled the v5.2.0 version of the game to retry it with the older build. I'll give it another go tonight.

And again, Thanks Bruce!, for bearing with me on this... :)

But sorry, I can't just let this go, I'll have to look through the triggers again myself...

(Is this how the Alzheimer disease works? Playing tricks with the mind? :wink: I'd bet my left arm that those trucks were there from the beginning...or not at all)
CoolDTA
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by CoolDTA »

GabeKnight wrote:
(Is this how the Alzheimer disease works? Playing tricks with the mind? :wink: I'd bet my left arm that those trucks were there from the beginning...or not at all)
Then I have it too, because my recollection is the same... :oops: Never had any troubles achieving the objective and my fighters kept an eye on them moving.
Duplex
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by Duplex »

I had a hard time trying to kill those pesky trucks. They kept moving! XD
I definitely do not recall the three trucks spawning. Wasn't the reward for capturing Batavia quickly the little Dutch recon/AA vehicle?
国民党万岁!

Custom Scenario Creator
Deja Bru

Post by Deja Bru »

Duplex wrote:Wasn't the reward for capturing Batavia quickly the little Dutch recon/AA vehicle?
Bingo, Duplex. Good memory. But still not an indicator of any changes to this scenario, I don't think.

You're remembering this one, I believe:
Screenshot 6.jpg
Screenshot 6.jpg (145.97 KiB) Viewed 4443 times
But it's part of the same trigger for taking Batavia in 10 turns or less:
Screenshot 7.jpg
Screenshot 7.jpg (217.68 KiB) Viewed 4443 times
Notice that it turns on this trigger if the objective is achieved:
Screenshot 8.jpg
Screenshot 8.jpg (155.44 KiB) Viewed 4443 times
This trigger is pointing at Bekasi, a few hexes to the east, so you don't get this prize right away by taking Batavia but you will get it if you keep advancing.

So, I'm thinking that we were all boot camp rookies once, utterly incapable of taking Batavia before 10 turns when we first played this scenario. That's why, perhaps (I can't be sure, of course) we don't remember those three trucks. Even if we did take Batavia in 10 turns, we may not have been in position to see all three due to FOW.

So the three trucks that Gabe did see are part of this "Bonus: Capture Batavia in 10" trigger. The "Event: Batavia Truck Spawn" trigger is another story but that happens after turn 6 and is spread out over several turns.
- Bru
Deja Bru

Post by Deja Bru »

Deja Bru wrote:The "Event: Batavia Truck Spawn" trigger is another story but that happens after turn 6 and is spread out over several turns.
If you are following this so far, you may be interested in this one last point.

So, if you take Batavia in 10 turns, you get two prizes: The "Braat" and three sitting duck cargo trucks to destroy for your primary objective. If you don't take Batavia in 10 turns, then the scenario gets a lot harder. First, you don't get the three sitting ducks. Next, when you get to a couple of hexes to the east of Batavia, you activate this trigger which shuts off the "Event: Batavia Truck Spawn" trigger. Net result: At least three, and possibly up to six, less cargo trucks on the map to hunt.
Screenshot 9.jpg
Screenshot 9.jpg (210.56 KiB) Viewed 4440 times
- Bru
Duplex

Post by Duplex »

I completed the Bavaria objective on my first run through. Maybe my memory is failing me and I actually did meet the three trucks. I might still have the replay, I'll go check it.
国民党万岁!

Custom Scenario Creator
Duplex

Post by Duplex »

Nope, turns out I don't have the replay. Btw, why are you deja bru now? What happened to bru888?
国民党万岁!

Custom Scenario Creator
Deja Bru

Post by Deja Bru »

Shards wrote:I had another user reporting an issue where his Aux Engineer "disappeared" during this map and so was unable to repair the bridges? Anything in the triggers that might cause that Bru?
I cannot see anything wrong in this regard. I looked at the bridge triggers and they seemed fine. Then I "#johnconnored" and "#orbitalcommanded" and snaked my way across the map, activating the blown bridges and repairing them as I went. This is the fourth bridge that I repaired, and I got the popup message:
Screenshot 11.jpg
Screenshot 11.jpg (671.42 KiB) Viewed 4435 times
Right below the message was the prize: a core Japanese engineer:
Screenshot 12.jpg
Screenshot 12.jpg (686.93 KiB) Viewed 4435 times
Both engineers were still there when I ran out the scenario. Which I lost, of course, because I didn't do anything else. :)
Screenshot 13.jpg
Screenshot 13.jpg (588.49 KiB) Viewed 4435 times
Scanning the triggers carefully, I see nothing in there at all that would remove a Japanese "Aux Engineer" from the map. Maybe the complainant neglected to notice that his engineer had in fact succumbed in battle.
Last edited by Deja Bru on Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:14 am, edited 3 times in total.
- Bru
Deja Bru

Post by Deja Bru »

Duplex wrote:Btw, why are you deja bru now? What happened to bru888?
As Shards once said to me when I asked him a tough question, "It's complicated." :wink:
- Bru
CoolDTA
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by CoolDTA »

GabeKnight wrote:Things like this are driving me crazy. Even reinstalled the v5.2.0 version of the game to retry it with the older build. I'll give it another go tonight.

And again, Thanks Bruce!, for bearing with me on this... :)

But sorry, I can't just let this go, I'll have to look through the triggers again myself...
I rechecked this using Paradogs Gamer's excellent video here (It is published on the 7th of Oct, 2016 and therefore uses game version 2.8.0. At turn 5 (timestamp ~ 13 min) he takes Batavia and boom, the trucks appear (one is out of LOS). Bru is right and it is by design and has probably always been there.

I guess we are just old. :shock: :oops: :cry: Better not bet your left arm. :wink:
GabeKnight

Post by GabeKnight »

Thanks all for answering! At first, I just thought I was right about the trucks, didn't know this thread would grow this big... :)
CoolDTA wrote:I rechecked this using Paradogs Gamer's excellent video here (It is published on the 7th of Oct, 2016 and therefore uses game version 2.8.0. At turn 5 (timestamp ~ 13 min) he takes Batavia and boom, the trucks appear (one is out of LOS). Bru is right and it is by design and has probably always been there.
Thanks, good idea with the video. Yeah, seems it was always like this... :?: :shock: :oops:
Deja Bru wrote:So, I'm thinking that we were all boot camp rookies once, utterly incapable of taking Batavia before 10 turns when we first played this scenario. That's why, perhaps (I can't be sure, of course) we don't remember those three trucks. Even if we did take Batavia in 10 turns, we may not have been in position to see all three due to FOW.
Although I may have lost a bit of "memory-credibility" here :wink: , I'm sure I've always taken Batavia in 10 turns. The last time I've played this campaign was right before Sandstorm beta. Like two months ago. But I have to admit, I've never played this scen out of the campaign before, like in the test above. So with the campaign rewards, an existing core force and some specs I might have had a slightly different CP balance which resulted in different deployment patterns.

Maybe just enough air-CP to not NOT have enough for a recon plane left and thus shrouding the area around Batavia in the FOW to cleverly disguise the truck spawns. Must be something like this then.
CoolDTA wrote:I guess we are just old. :shock: :oops: :cry: Better not bet your left arm. :wink:
But I could've sworn...., and I would've bet....... :lol: :wink:
Deja Bru

Post by Deja Bru »

It's cool, Gabe. Cool as in fun and as in CoolDTA. Thanks to you both for a bit of diversion and clarification.

Heh, the funny thing is, if the Creator (of the game, not the universe) were to come here and say "Knock it off, you guys. I made no changes here recently," the thread would have been much shorter. :)

But it was fun.
- Bru
GabeKnight

Post by GabeKnight »

Deja Bru wrote:Heh, the funny thing is, if the Creator (of the game, not the universe) were to come here and say "Knock it off, you guys. I made no changes here recently," the thread would have been much shorter. :)
Actually I didn't think it was a deliberate change made, but an after-effect of the popup-windows-not-appearing-right-when-you-clicked-on-objectives-bug or whatever it was. You remember it within your scens and the first Panzerkrieg DLC mission, right?

Return to “Order of Battle Series”