First impressions on return

Order of Battle is a series of operational WW2 games starting with the Pacific War and then on to Europe!

Moderators: Order of Battle Moderators, The Artistocrats

Mercutio
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

First impressions on return

Post by Mercutio »

I can't believe it has been three years since I played this fine game system. The steam sale hit and I saw Sandstorm was out and supposed to be harder than the original and it was in a bundle pack so I thought "Why not".

So being a person I am, I started it on hard after a light brush with the manual and not much knowledge on the theater. I made it through Tobruk by the skin of my teeth forgetting that doing the key objectives first is vitally important. Did well on Halfaya Pass and thought, "I got this". Played Crusader and was sooooo close. Oh well, it goes on. Played Sea Convoy and lost a cargo ship toward the end, but made it!

Then came Gazala. I thought to myself, "I know I should probably put most of my army on the southern map and hook it around, but I have 3 engineers and a bakasomething that removes mines available. I know, I will be clever and put them all together and make a big hole in the minefield and push through it." Also I will keep a few in the north just in case they break out.

Boy was that stupid. They got pounded while my tanks did their end round in the south. However, they needed more support. Like maybe those engineers and arty and infantry I had way over there. I fought on anyway. Finally breaking through late mid game and man, the casualties for madly pushing on to make up for lost time.

I was closing in on the last target and had taken out the supply depot on the way, but time ran out. A loss. Wow, I haven't lost a game in OoB since I first played it. Well done devs! The sneaky counter attacks, the cutting off your supply (hey, that is my trick damn you!) The focus fire on one unit at a time. Retreating on trucks at times instead of just getting wiped out. That freaking ghost jeep in the 1st scenario, brilliant!

You got me, well played. Next time no mercy though, just letting you know!
:evil: :twisted: :evil: :twisted: :evil:
kondi754
General - Elite King Tiger
General - Elite King Tiger

Re: First impressions on return

Post by kondi754 »

Hello, I remember you from the Morning Sun beta test, I wondered where you disappeared :)
Nice to see you again here...
Mercutio

Post by Mercutio »

Thanks Kondi, I remember you too. Nice to see a familiar name! Got involved in work, life and other games. I always meant to come back, but never got around to it.
WarHomer
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by WarHomer »

Life do have a way of getting in the way of computer gaming :-)
Mercutio

Post by Mercutio »

I know WarHomer. What is that about?

Return to “Order of Battle Series”