Units You Never Buy

Order of Battle is a series of operational WW2 games starting with the Pacific War and then on to Europe!

Moderators: The Artistocrats, Order of Battle Moderators

kondi754
Major-General - Jagdtiger
Major-General - Jagdtiger

Re: Units You Never Buy

Post by kondi754 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:35 am

TheFilthyCasual wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:59 am

Er, not really. The Ki-43 was arguably the best dogfighter of its time, so the agile Spitfire would have been a better choice to face it. The units in Burma had to make do with Hurricanes because they were low-priority units, not because the Ki-43 was crappy enough that Hurricanes were a match for it.

Burma Road treats the Burma campaign as if it were just another front, thus the preponderance of funnies, SPGs, Spitfires and Churchills available.
Ok, it doesn't matter, although in my opinion Oscar, as well as Hurricane, was an obsolete plane in 1942 ... Hurricane was enough, but I'm not saying that was successful, it was enough to keep the balance.
I mean that in Burma DLC there are Ki-61, Ki-84 and even more modern constructions, and finally prototypes of jets, so the player can't maintain the "historical" core, because he will lose another battle

The funniest thing is that playing in a way that matches the reality of a given ToW would be much more interesting than copying Panzer Corps :(

Admiral_Horthy
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by Admiral_Horthy » Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:40 am

kondi754 wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:35 am
The funniest thing is that playing in a way that matches the reality of a given ToW would be much more interesting than copying Panzer Corps :(
Fully agreed with that... However many people want to shop units freely and see a lot in the shop window.
Another level of difficulty could be historical OOB choices.

People are different, with many gameplay style and preference. Someone want quick combat, someone realism, someone what-if overkill. I think OOB is already flexible to provide many choice - and much more possibilities lie in front of us. We modders and scenario makers can make a difference - and of course help to make it better by showing alternatives to the devs with new ideas

TheFilthyCasual
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by TheFilthyCasual » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:52 am

In retrospect I take back what I said about engineers. Not having them when you need them (mines, bunkers, etc) can bring your advance to a screeching halt.

I stand by the rest however. I think Commandos have to be rethought, though perhaps at the risk of making them OP (maybe make them very expensive):

Something like, removing the cost for their attack (so, by default, they take no return damage when attacking), then allowing them to move again after attacking. This means they truly can hit-and-run, but will, just as now, be cut to pieces if an enemy unit catches up to them and attacks, as they WILL take massive damage if they are the defenders in an engagement rather than the attackers.

Knirsch
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Post by Knirsch » Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:46 pm

While I agree that commandos are weak and that engineers and antitank units are very situational, you guys ignored one big issue. As bru said:
bru888 wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:45 pm
You guys mentioned my top bugaboo: submarines. My other one is strategic bombers. I do want to use these for a well-rounded attack but usually resources are tight and these fall by the wayside.
Strategic bombers are expensive and they don't have the same killing power as tactical bombers, I have used one a couple of times in a campaign, but I really don't see the point.

GabeKnight
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier

Post by GabeKnight » Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:05 pm

Knirsch wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:46 pm
Strategic bombers are expensive and they don't have the same killing power as tactical bombers, I have used one a couple of times in a campaign, but I really don't see the point.
I do. They're basically a mobile 10(+)hex-range arty unit that does not lose efficiency.

gunnyjs
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by gunnyjs » Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:38 pm

Engineers are great when playing against the AI in order to put down mine fields if one remembers that this can only be done if a unit is not adjacent to it and that it takes about 3 turns before the engineer can put down another mine field so buy 2 or 3 as needed. Furthermore, later on if you have the resources you can upgrade the unit to a regular fighting unit. Finally this unit and subs and perhaps others can be enhanced using the research points if you think its worth spending them on this ... the SPECIALIZATION points ...

TentacleMayor

Post by TentacleMayor » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:07 am

Towed AA, especially if it doesn't have an anti-tank mode. I always find myself reluctant to allocate command points to those except to defend airfields in specific missions or if I want to concentrate my fighters on a different flank.

Engineers are great for detrenching units while being pretty cheap and expendable. They're nothing to scoff at in high-cover terrain either.

terminator
Major-General - Elite Tiger I
Major-General - Elite Tiger I

Post by terminator » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:54 am

TentacleMayor wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:07 am
Towed AA, especially if it doesn't have an anti-tank mode. I always find myself reluctant to allocate command points to those except to defend airfields in specific missions or if I want to concentrate my fighters on a different flank.
This is the reason why, if I need an AA unit I buy at the beginning 8,8cm FlaK 37 then afterwards Wirdelwind or Ostwind to have the opportunity to switch :idea:

Did you see this mod (The "Gabe-Mod") :?:

Screenshot 660.jpg
Screenshot 660.jpg (405 KiB) Viewed 312 times

:arrow: http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtop ... &start=160

TentacleMayor wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:07 am
Engineers are great for detrenching units while being pretty cheap and expendable. They're nothing to scoff at in high-cover terrain either.
Engineers are useful in capturing cities :idea:

Return to “Order of Battle Series”