Question on OOB

Order of Battle is a series of operational WW2 games starting with the Pacific War and then on to Europe!

Moderators: The Artistocrats, Order of Battle Moderators

Zovs
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Question on OOB

Post by Zovs » Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:15 am

Is this just a clone of Panzer General/Panzer Corps?

Looks almost the same.

Erik2
Order of Battle Moderator

Re: Question on OOB

Post by Erik2 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:51 pm

No.
Check out the free basic game yourself:
http://www.slitherine.com/store/?p=19&s ... =&a=3&pi=1

bru888

Post by bru888 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:03 pm

If you Google "Panzer Corps or Order of Battle," you will find plenty of links that compare the two games. The prominent differences that make OOB better than PC, in my opinion and that of others, are better maps, better animation, and the treatment of supply whereby units must remain linked to supply sources or risk being cut off and suffering in efficiency.
- Bru

Zovs
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Zovs » Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:33 pm

Thanks, thinking of biting on a few with the sale.

Mojko
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

Post by Mojko » Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:57 pm

Zovs wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:15 am
Is this just a clone of Panzer General/Panzer Corps?

Looks almost the same.
OOB plays very differently because of the supply system. I also transitioned from Panzer General/Panzer Corps (loved both games) and I must say that after playing OOB, I can't go back. One word of advice:

Don't try to play OOB like Panzer General/Panzer Corps as you will end up very sad. This game requires different approach.
Author and maintainer of Unit Navigator Tool for Order Of Battle (http://mfendek.byethost16.com/)

PoorOldSpike
2nd Lieutenant - Elite Panzer IVF/2

Post by PoorOldSpike » Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:06 pm

Zovs wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:15 am
Is this just a clone of Panzer General/Panzer Corps?..
I didn't like OOB at first, so I stuck to dear old PzCorps for about a year, then gave OOB another try by playing the tutorial and was hooked for life and un-installed PzCorps..:)
A main difference is that the OOB supply rules are far more realistic than PzCorps because the supply lines (and front lines) dramatically appear on the map and it's great fun to cut the enemy's supply lines, while at the same time guarding your own..:)

Here's a tiny demo I set up in the editor, it's all Japanese territory and my Sherman is drawing supply from the supply ship. Note how the Sherman leaves a "snail-trail" of US-controlled hexes behind it as it moves which serve as a supply corridor to the ship.
However an AI jap unit is moving towards the corridor along the red arrow..

And cuts it, what cheek!
The Sherman is now out of supply as indicated by the red dot (white arrowed) and won't be able to receive replacements, and furthermore if it attacks or is attacked it'll begin suffering an efficiency combat penalty. To re-establish supply it must withdraw towards the ship to re-open the corridor, or sit tight and wait for other units to push supply corridors to it..
As I said, it's only a tiny demo, but the same thing applies to big groups of units which can be "pocketed" to cut them off from supply..:)

bru888

Post by bru888 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:20 pm

And you would be surprised, Zovs, at how important this is and how it changes the strategic and tactical way of playing this game versus PC, as Mojko mentioned. I never played PC much - just dabbled but only after I got into OOB so it really wasn't a fair fight - but if you could wheel a Sherman around in PC without regard for a Japanese unit coming between you and your supply ship (does PC even have supply ships?), then that strikes me as quite unrealistic. IRL, an advance like this would need to be supported on the flanks for just this type of contingency.
- Bru

PoorOldSpike

Post by PoorOldSpike » Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:05 pm

Here's another screenshot which expands on what I said earlier about cutting supply corridors-
My panzer column is plunging into the Russian heartland along the photoshopped blue arrow, but the Russkis have waltzed a couple of AI infantry units and a light tank across the "snail trail" corridor and cut off the 3 panzers in the spearhead which have now got the dreaded "out of supply" red dot on them. My bad, I shouldn't have let an empty gap open between the spearhead and following units (sniffle).
Luckily the Germans were able to quickly re-establish supply next turn by steamrolling the Russkis.
PS- Notice the big number '50' on the town on the left which denotes it as a supply base for ground units; and the '20' on the airfield provides supply to aircraft.

Zovs
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Zovs » Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:20 am

Many Thanks for the detailed demo!

Zovs
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Zovs » Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:29 am

Again thank you for the details, I just purchased the entire series, sans Kreigsmarine.

LNDavoust
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by LNDavoust » Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:52 pm

Zovs wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:29 am
Again thank you for the details, I just purchased the entire series, sans Kreigsmarine.
Congratulations :) Have fun and then let us know.

PoorOldSpike

Post by PoorOldSpike » Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:06 pm

I should just point out that in many OOB scens the AI usually won't make a strong push to try to cut your supply lines, so don't drop off too many of your units to protect the flanks of your corridors, just the odd few will do at key points.
You can also do the occasional fast armoured car or aircraft recon sweep to keep tabs on whether there are any enemies shaping up to hit your rear areas.
Tip- if an AI enemy somehow slips through and is threatening your supply lines and bases but you've got nothing back there to block him, you can do an "emergency purchase" to buy a unit or two (if funds and command points allow) and immediately deploy them in a rear base to stop his little game.

PS- you'll also come to hate enemy AI paratroops who have the habit of dropping in and around your important rear supply bases, but there are only a few scens that have AI paras dropping (I won't spoil your fun by telling you which ones) so don't worry too much about them, just station an infantry unit permanently in your base on garrison duty as insurance if you like..:)

Zovs
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Zovs » Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:44 pm

LNDavoust wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:52 pm
Zovs wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:29 am
Congratulations :) Have fun and then let us know.
Will do!

Zovs
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Zovs » Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:45 pm

PoorOldSpike wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:06 pm
I should just point out that in many OOB scens the AI usually won't make a strong push to try to cut your supply lines, so don't drop off too many of your units to protect the flanks of your corridors, just the odd few will do at key points.
You can also do the occasional fast armoured car or aircraft recon sweep to keep tabs on whether there are any enemies shaping up to hit your rear areas.
Tip- if an AI enemy somehow slips through and is threatening your supply lines and bases but you've got nothing back there to block him, you can do an "emergency purchase" to buy a unit or two (if funds and command points allow) and immediately deploy them in a rear base to stop his little game.

PS- you'll also come to hate enemy AI paratroops who have the habit of dropping in and around your important rear supply bases, but there are only a few scens that have AI paras dropping (I won't spoil your fun by telling you which ones) so don't worry too much about them, just station an infantry unit permanently in your base on garrison duty as insurance if you like..:)
Excellent tips! Thank you for that!

Return to “Order of Battle Series”