Order of Battle: NOT WW2

Order of Battle is a series of operational WW2 games starting with the Pacific War and then on to Europe!

Moderators: Order of Battle Moderators, The Artistocrats

mcseamus
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Order of Battle: NOT WW2

Post by mcseamus »

I have always been curious, given the particular way the title of the game is phrased, if there is ever going to be an Order of Battle series set somewhere other than WW2. I would love to see an Order of Battle: Napoleon, or Order of Battle: Civil War, or Order of Battle: Etcetera.

Any word, hints, wild unfounded rumors?
bru888
Order of Battle Moderator

Re: Order of Battle: NOT WW2

Post by bru888 »

mcseamus wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:51 pm I have always been curious, given the particular way the title of the game is phrased, if there is ever going to be an Order of Battle series set somewhere other than WW2. I would love to see an Order of Battle: Napoleon, or Order of Battle: Civil War, or Order of Battle: Etcetera.

Any word, hints, wild unfounded rumors?
This, from time to time: "hints." Nothing official that I have ever seen announced. I believe this game has great potential for chronological expansion, though.
- Bru
bebro
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by bebro »

mcseamus wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:51 pm Any word, hints, wild unfounded rumors?
For the foreseeable future we'll stay with WW2.

I agree it *could* work outside WW2, but there is nothing specifically agreed, planned, worked on etc. at this point, so *if* that ever happens it will not be soon.
Erik2

Post by Erik2 »

2 expansions that would not require a total rewrite of the game would be Spanish Civil War and Korean War. Then maybe the Middle East Wars. I guess the most of the work would be new unit models and maybe some additional terrain.
But there are still missing a few major campaigns in OOB, notably US Torch-Berlin and British Norway-Berlin. There are probably 5 possible campaigns there.
calmhatchery
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by calmhatchery »

bebro wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:37 pm
mcseamus wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:51 pm Any word, hints, wild unfounded rumors?

I agree it *could* work outside WW2, but there is nothing specifically agreed, planned, worked on etc. at this point, so *if* that ever happens it will not be soon.
This is great news!!! :) Im personally open for another chapters in the history but II WW is so big to explore. I hope that you cover Every possible place on the earth like in still southeastern ASIA :) with Japanese forces but also..many many more...cheers
calmhatchery
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by calmhatchery »

calmhatchery wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:31 pm

This is great news!!! :) Im personally open for another chapters in the history but II WW is so big to explore and yes I want it :). I hope that you cover Every possible place on the earth like in still southeastern ASIA :) with Japanese forces but also..many many more...cheers
"I got so excited that I quoted myself and double-posted!" [paraphrased for calmhatchery by Bru :wink:]
mcseamus

Post by mcseamus »

So nothing in time for my vacation at the end of this month, eh? Sigh. I guess I will go learn my kids names. I think that there are two of them.
PoorOldSpike
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by PoorOldSpike »

mcseamus wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:51 pm..I would love to see an Order of Battle: Napoleon, or Order of Battle: Civil War..
I agree and my cash is ready and waiting to buy stuff like that, so I can only suppose the OOB devs don't want to become millionnaires..;)
For example Uncle Ho is calling us out and I'd LURV to take him down a peg or two in a Nam OOB release-

PS- A guy called HBalck released a set of modern NATO / Warsaw Pact units and maps for OOB a few years ago, but when we started to give him feedback and suggestions he took it badly and became aggressive and rude, so Slitherine Admin banned him, but personally I always got on okay with him.
ln1214
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by ln1214 »

Personally I would love to see a Korean War expansion. This conflict is so underrepresented in video games, and OOB has always had a tradition of depicting underrepresented conflicts.
TripleCP
Senior Corporal - Destroyer
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by TripleCP »

I'd enjoy a couple of Korea themed DLCs, as well (would want to play as both the ROK/US/UN and North Korea/China), but I think expanding beyond WWII should coincide with the development of OoB 2.
https://www.facebook.com/RussianFront75/
TDefender
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by TDefender »

I remember before the release of the main game the devs said they would like to explore other periods in the future... I agree this engine has great potential and flexibility: logistics, generals and so on... we definitely need a decent and modern turn based napoleonic/ XIX century game... after more than 1000 hours of game (thanks devs for that!!!) with OoB this is a great dream for me....
koopanique
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by koopanique »

About the title of OoB: WW2:
I think the devs named it so because it was originally called Order of Battle: Pacific, and only featured campaigns centered around the Pacific War.
Then the game expanded to other theatres of war, so it couldn't just be named Pacific any more. So it was renamed "World War 2".
At least that's my theory. Reminds me of Battlestations: Midway, and its sequel, Battlestations: Pacific.

Order of Battle: Napoleon... I'd love OoB with the 19th century aesthetic! Infantry units would be armed with musket rifles, artillery would be good old canons (maybe with a range of only 1 or 2 hexes), ships would be the glorious wooden vessels of that time... No air units of course.

Heh... a man can dream.

Return to “Order of Battle Series”