Agonizingly slow load time from saves

Order of Battle is a series of operational WW2 games starting with the Pacific War and then on to Europe!

Moderators: Order of Battle Moderators, The Artistocrats

Kriegsspieler
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Agonizingly slow load time from saves

Post by Kriegsspieler »

Hi, all --

Is there anything you can do to improve the load time from save files? I am trying to load the campaign save at the beginning of Barbarossa, and it is taking forever. Saves from late in scenarios have a similar problem, in my experience.

i'm sure this has come up before, but I couldn't find any reference to it in the last three or four pages of the main forum thread.

Thanks
terminator
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Re: Agonizingly slow load time from saves

Post by terminator »

It’s not my impression and I’m not usually playing this game with a Gamer PC.
bebro
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by bebro »

There seems to be some slowdown when you reload several times, or have played already a long time - until this is dealt with it *might* help sometimes to exit the game, launch anew and load the save then.
Kriegsspieler
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Kriegsspieler »

Actually, that last suggestion doesn't seem to work. I had completely exited the game and then tried to reload the save. After waiting 5 minutes and watching the little progress meter crawl along, that's what prompted the original query. I wonder if the problem is specific to having paused and saved at the point of purchasing and deploying new units for a monster scenario like Barbarossa.

In general, the game does seem to slow down quite a bit as one gets further into a scenario. Moreover,I do reload from saves a lot, often because I'm trying out different tactical combinations or I made mis-clicks in the air interface, etc.

My computer is not a specialized gaming computer, but it is not a low-end model, either, fwiw.
bebro
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by bebro »

Which scenario is this? Is it from a stock campaign or custom? In general, very large scns with bigger maps and way more units will certainly need longer to load.
Spotlight22
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Spotlight22 »

I've certainly not encountered loading times like that, do you have the latest version and versions of the DLC?
Kriegsspieler
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Kriegsspieler »

In answer to bebro's question, I am playing Barbarossa, & am at the point of deploying/purchasing units.
I'm playing version 8.1.
I wonder if it makes a difference whether one is playing windowed or full-screeen. Or might there be other graphics options that could be disabled or turned down?

EDIT: I just tried loading the save file again, after having done some other things on the computer, and now the load was much more normal. It does leave hanging the question of what has happening before when the load was so slow. Meybe there's a memory buffer that needs to be cleared?
terminator
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by terminator »

Maybe you have other programs that run at the same time as the game ?
bebro
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by bebro »

We don't have an explicit Barbarossa scenario, that is why I was asking if it's custom. Two scns coming to my mind having *parts* of Barbarossa are Blitzkrieg/Minsk and Red Star/Raseiniai, is it one of those?

As for options - full screen is usually better performance-wise.
Kriegsspieler
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Kriegsspieler »

Sorry for the confusion -- yes, I was simply running the standard Blitzkrieg/Minsk scenario. (Where does one find those scenario names, btw?)
I didn't have any other programs running.
bebro
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by bebro »

Scn names show in the campaign screen at the bottom, the little box below the map has title, time, and a short description of the next scn.

Or from the game menu you go to Single Player - Scenario (instead Campaign). There you get them listed, with extra folders for each DLC.
gunny
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

Post by gunny »

I would defrag the harddrive even if you have an SSD drive many say they never need defragging but try that. YOu could also turn off any other unwanted or needed programs runnign in background but this gets more complicated if you do not know how to use a pc very much. try Auslogics disk defrag its free - google auslogics disk defrag woo hoo

Return to “Order of Battle Series”