Erik's custom campaigns

Order of Battle is a series of operational WW2 games starting with the Pacific War and then on to Europe!

Moderators: The Artistocrats, Order of Battle Moderators

jerryt52
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Erik's custom campaigns

Post by jerryt52 » Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:55 pm

I can't seem to get past the first battle of poland in Erik's campaign. What's the "secret" strategy?

GabeKnight
Major-General - Jagdtiger

Re: Erik's custom campaigns

Post by GabeKnight » Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:59 pm

Contrary to the vanilla campaigns, Erik's scens have considerable income for the AI/enemy faction. You have to do as the AI usually does and concentrate your forces on one or few units and go for the kill in the same turn. The AI can repair, but not reform destroyed units.
(And yes, this can be super annoying, I know... :lol: )

rafdobrowolski
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by rafdobrowolski » Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:45 am

jerryt52 wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:55 pm
I can't seem to get past the first battle of poland in Erik's campaign. What's the "secret" strategy?
Use artillery and engineers (or a strategic bomber) to weaken units, and then kill them with infantry/tanks, and mop up with recon and/or tactical bombers. Concentrate on one unit at a time and eliminate them first. Also, use anti-tank units placed behind your infantry to defend them from enemy tank attacks, preferably hidden in forests if possible. Use multiple fighters to target one plane at a time as well. I find that early on, the Bf 110 series is useful, since they have good ground attack capabilities, but are also great in the air, so they double as a fighter and a tactical bomber. In later scenarios, the Me 410 is a good replacement for the Bf 110's.

prattaa
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by prattaa » Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:31 am

Attached is a replay of a major victory on Poznan. Unfortunately, replays always go out of sync so by turn 3 it's not following what actually happened in the scenario but you can get an idea of forces and strategy. Hope that helps.
Poznan.zip
Poznan replay
(7.37 KiB) Downloaded 10 times

KarisFraMauro
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by KarisFraMauro » Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:46 pm

I'm impressed people manage to beat those campaigns. Maybe I ought to check out the replay... Have a feeling the real key is familiarity, losing over and over again until you've memorized exactly where and when and how much you'll be facing. Not sure how useful raf's advice is. There aren't enough command points to finish off units, at least within the turn limit. If I concentrate enough of my forces in one theatre I'm hopelessly outmatched in the others. So many enemy anti-air and fighters all over the place that one bomber is about your limit. And if you have ground attack fighters they'll just get chewed up by the aforementioned forces so that's a non-starter. I eventually beat it by lowering the difficulty and abandoning a major victory. It doesn't exactly get any easier. But to each their own, and I applaud the effort!

gunny
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by gunny » Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:45 am

KarisFraMauro wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:46 pm
I'm impressed people manage to beat those campaigns. Maybe I ought to check out the replay... Have a feeling the real key is familiarity, losing over and over again until you've memorized exactly where and when and how much you'll be facing. Not sure how useful raf's advice is. There aren't enough command points to finish off units, at least within the turn limit. If I concentrate enough of my forces in one theatre I'm hopelessly outmatched in the others. So many enemy anti-air and fighters all over the place that one bomber is about your limit. And if you have ground attack fighters they'll just get chewed up by the aforementioned forces so that's a non-starter. I eventually beat it by lowering the difficulty and abandoning a major victory. It doesn't exactly get any easier. But to each their own, and I applaud the effort!
A lot of times you have to use cheat codes to enjoy it - the main goal should be enjoyment not figuring out exactly what you have to do to win it according to how specifically it was made.

KarisFraMauro

Post by KarisFraMauro » Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:00 am

It's weird, if you'll forgive the boasting I've been having quite a nice little run in multiplayer. Even on custom scenarios, which means my opponent knows enough to download them from the forums. Heck I can routinely beat the people who design the maps! But I don't think I've ever felt more than incompetent on a custom campaign... I can see how cheat codes would change the equation though.

GabeKnight

Post by GabeKnight » Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:03 am

Some of the more recent campaigns are simply too untested and a bit unbalanced, I give you that. But usually all you need to win those are either a few more turns with #overtime or some more cash with #warbonds.

And (detailed) player's feedback on the scens/campaigns is always welcome! :D

Return to “Order of Battle Series”