Suggestion - Alternate History.

Moderators: Nacho84, N_Molson

Drewpan
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Suggestion - Alternate History.

Post by Drewpan »

Hi Guys,

I like the X-15 Project as part of the game, but it really serves no purpose other than to force me to get and fly
astronauts early. There was a great deal of Research that happened in the 50s, 60s and 70s that eventually led
to the Space Shuttle, but the Shuttle was delayed because "The Russians use Rockets so WE should use Rockets"
and because "Our German Rocket Scientists are better than their German Rocket Scientists" (A Myth I might add).

How about some further Space plane Research options like Dyna-Soar and maybe Linear and Annular Aerospike
engines. This could lead to the alternate method of getting to the moon of Earth Orbital Rendevous, where by
it was thought that a Lunar Landing could be attempted by building the Landing vehicle in Earth Orbit and
launching the mission from Earth Orbit for a Direct Lunar Descent. This would make Space-planes meaningful as a
game option.

Cheers!

Andrew (Drewpan)
Vivisector9999
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Re: Suggestion - Alternate History.

Post by Vivisector9999 »

I like your line of thinking. Presenting alternate routes in the space race would increase replayability.
N_Molson
SPM Contributor
SPM Contributor

Post by N_Molson »

Hello,

Don't worry, there is a plan beyond that. Flying the X-15 will make the R&D of the Space Shuttle in part 2 easier (tech transfer). Same idea for PKA -> Buran. :wink:
Nicolas Escats
Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager Contributor
KyleS
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by KyleS »

I would have thought the X-15/PKA would make the Mercury/Vostok start with a higher reliability. Remember that they were not even sure if a human could survive in a vacuum and without the Van Allen belts protecting us from solar radiation. By sending a craft 100km up, you're learning how to keep a capsule airtight, control its temperature, how much radiation is going to be a factor, and so on.

Remember it's called the National Aeronautics and Space Administration. You need aircraft before you can have spacecraft, and the X-15 and similar craft are that intermediate step between air and space.

Just as Mercury/Vostok help Gemini/Voshkod, so too should X-15/PKA help the rest.
rpete1982
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by rpete1982 »

I like this idea. I will add though that the X-15 program is a cheap and easy way to build up needed prestige early in the game and is well worth pursuing.

Return to “Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager : Early Access Beta Forum”