Unloadable Saves

Moderators: Pandora Moderators, Slitherine Core

PlotinusRedux
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Unloadable Saves

Post by PlotinusRedux » Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:53 am

All my saves past a certain point in a game, including the autosaves, produce a GPF when attempting to load them. Pandora Version 1.5.4. Screenshot of the error, one of the saves that won't load, and the logs are attached.
PanError.jpg
PanError.jpg (35.84 KiB) Viewed 4786 times
Attachments
badsave.zip
(177.09 KiB) Downloaded 170 times

Xilmi
Pandora Community Developer

Re: Unloadable Saves

Post by Xilmi » Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:34 am

Since

* Fixed a crash that could occur when loading a save game in a specific state.

is one of the things mentioned in the Change-log of the 1.5.5-Beta-Patch, I would ask you to opt-in to the beta-patch and try if your save works with it.

In order to do so:

In Steam: right-click the game in your library, select properties then the beta-tab and select the beta from the dropdown-box
Standalone: find the folder of your Pandora-installation, go to "Binaries" and run the program "PandoraUpdater.exe" there you have a drop-down box in the upper right where you also can select the beta

Hope this helps. If the saves also crash in 1.5.5 please let us know.

PlotinusRedux

Post by PlotinusRedux » Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:38 pm

Xilmi--I'm getting the same behavior with the 1.5.5 Beta (verified by seeing "1.5.5" at the bottom right of the menu screen)--I can load saves from earlier in that game, but I get the above violation trying to load later ones.

Xilmi

Post by Xilmi » Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:53 pm

Okay, I'll check your save when I'm home.

VPaulus
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by VPaulus » Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:12 pm

Hi Xilmi,

PlotinusRedux save is also crashing on my system.

PlotinusRedux

Post by PlotinusRedux » Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:10 pm

I didn't realize the code was being maintained by one volunteer player now, Xilmi--I just bought the game a couple of weeks ago. I wouldn't consider this a high priority bug if it's not a common issue for people.

I wish more companies would let players improve the code when the primary dev live cycle is over. I've made some improvements to SMAC/X, which this game was clearly inspired by, but I had to do it by reverse engineering and modifying the .exe directly--I could have made a lot bigger improvements with access to the source code.

Kudos to you for taking this on.

Xilmi

Post by Xilmi » Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:14 pm

PlotinusRedux wrote:I didn't realize the code was being maintained by one volunteer player now, Xilmi--I just bought the game a couple of weeks ago. I wouldn't consider this a high priority bug if it's not a common issue for people.
The original Devs are quite busy with something else but the game is still somewhat on their radar. So a gamebreaking bug could still catch their attention.
I also had the same issue with your save.

According to the log, the crash might have to do with some Tile-improvement or other territory-feature. I've never seen or heared of it before though, so I can say it must be quite rare.
I also wouldn't be that well suited to track it down. If there's a bug like that in anything that I made, I would probably find it very quickly, since I know what I did. But I wouldn't really know where to start looking for stuff outside of what I've touched so far.
PlotinusRedux wrote: I wish more companies would let players improve the code when the primary dev live cycle is over. I've made some improvements to SMAC/X, which this game was clearly inspired by, but I had to do it by reverse engineering and modifying the .exe directly--I could have made a lot bigger improvements with access to the source code.
Well, in my case with Pandora it was important that I knew whom to ask. There was a broadcasted live-event of a 2vs2 Multiplayer-game and I found myself teamed up with one of the Devs. So we got into talks and this basically gave birth to that idea. This way I wasn't just some unknown stranger who was asking them for access to their source-code to do who knows what with it.

But the question is: How many people who'd like to do that actually ask the Devs of a game?

spydermr2
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by spydermr2 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:16 pm

I also can't load my saves. I just bought the game. I installed the base game (First Contact), updated it, played it a few turns, saved, and loaded fine. So that works.
I installed the expansion, did the update. Played a few turns, saved, tried to load (and logged out and back in and tried to load) and the game throws up the unknown error and that's it.
I uninstalled, made sure all drivers were updated, manually deleted all traces of the original install (since it leaves behind a lot under ProxyStudios) so it would be a true clean install.
Saved and loaded between each increment as possible. Did exactly the same thing -- as soon as the expansion is added, the load-saved-game function breaks.
I bought the game, at last, precisely because the expansion added so many interesting things that I'd thought missing from the original... and now I'm stuck where i can play the original but not the expansion.

Any help you can give me is appreciated. I'd really like to be able to play the full, expanded game. I did leave something in the Matrixgames tech support area but thought perhaps I might get a faster response here. Forgive me if I crossed some forum rule about posting in both places.

Xilmi

Post by Xilmi » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:32 pm

Have you tried the Beta-Branch?

Rightclick on the game in the steam-library => properties => beta => select beta from the dropdown-menu.

Once you have the beta activated you can get an newer version of it from here:

http://www.civforum.de/showthread.php?9 ... ost6618734
These files are extracted to:
c:\SteamLibrary\SteamApps\common\Pandora\Binaries\ or wherever your Pandora-installation is.

Unfortunately I cannot directly upload to steam, so I have to upload my patches elsewhere.

If this still does not work for you, you should attach your save here so I can try to reproduce it.

spydermr2

Post by spydermr2 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:52 pm

I did go into the updater and choose "beta" and let it do updating.
The load function continued to do exactly as it did in the release version.

I am not using a Steam version. I bought it from MatrixGames earlier today.
I will try to turn on the beta version and then use the link you've provided. Using beta and letting it update, though, did not produce any change.

I currently have the game uninstalled and will be re-installing it one piece at a time shortly.

Thank you!

Xilmi

Post by Xilmi » Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:36 pm

Did you pick the Eclipse of Nashira Beta or the Pandora First Contact beta?

You can acquire a steam-key from Slitherine/Matrix but I remember that was relatively complicated and I can't really describe the whole procedure anymore.

However, I can tell you that reinstalling is just a waste of time. If you get an access-violation while loading then either the savegame or the medthod loading it has a problem.
As stated earlier, 1.5.5 should fix it but as long as it's still only in beta, we gotta activate the beta.

Maybe the files work with the non-steam version aswell. I just know that the non-steam-version-files do not work with the steam-version but probably the other way around it is possible.
I could theoretically also make these files for the non-steam version but it's quite some work so I'd rather first try it without doing so.

spydermr2

Post by spydermr2 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:44 pm

I am beyond thrilled at not having to keep testing this piece-by-piece install/reinstall. Huge smiles on my part at that.
I do not have Steam (call me an antique, but I prefer GOG.com).
When I worked with the updater, I had it update both the base game and Eclipse betas. I figured covering all of it would be better than just trying one piece. I then re-installed and tried just updating the base, then the same with just the Eclipse beta. Still no working load function.

I am about to re-install Eclipse, so I try the betas again and let you know the result.
Thank you again. You've been incredibly responsive, I thought I'd have to wait a day or two or three and here you are, within minutes! Greatly appreciated.

spydermr2

Post by spydermr2 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:12 am

OK. Using the updater to update to 1.5.5 did not work.
However, I followed the link above, and copied the files into the binaries subdirectory. I then launched the game, played 2 turns, saved. Returned to main menu. Hit load and loaded the game... and this time, it worked.

I deleted that save, restarted, a couple turns, saved, back to main menu. Load... and it worked.

So, whatever the difference is between the updater itself (1.5.5) and the files in that german site -- the difference is that the german site files actually work.

And I thank you, greatly, for that. Looks like this will be great game, and being able to play it with the expansion has me quite excited.

Thank you again.

I am amazed and impressed at how fast you responded. Greatly, greatly appreciated.

spydermr2

Post by spydermr2 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:41 am

OK, I wish i didn't have to say this, but it doesn't actually work properly.
It will load a game as long as you haven't closed the client.
So, if I start a new game, play 2 turns, save, then drop to the main menu, it will load the game.
If I then drop to the desktop, then go back into the game, and hit load, it repeats the problem of not loading.
If I then start a new game, save that, and load without leaving the client, it will load. Until I drop to the desktop, at which point it won't load again.

A save-load function that only works in the same session the game is launched isn't actually very useful.

So, unfortunately, I have to pull back from my earlier thanks. It is still not working in a way that actually helps.

I do appreciate how fast and how helpful you've been. I wish I didn't have to continue to gripe, but a per-session load functionality isn't really useful. It means if I play tonight, save, and go to load tomorrow, it won't load.

(ugh)

As always, thank you for your help... hopefully we can find a solution that does work across sessions as well. :)

spydermr2

Post by spydermr2 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:59 am

Trying to attach a save file. It says "the extension pandorasave is not allowed" and won't let me attach the file.
OK, it'll let a .rar file work, so I compressed it as one. Hopefully this works.

And the same thing with the log files, it wouldn't take them, so I compressed them into another .rar file.

Hopefully these help.

Let me know what else I can do. I confess, my excitement is waning, but I really am eager to get into the full game.

Thank you again.
Attachments
Logs.rar
(4.81 KiB) Downloaded 182 times
saveg3.rar
(57.57 KiB) Downloaded 189 times

Xilmi

Post by Xilmi » Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:12 pm

I'll look at it once I'm at home.

The problem you described:
saves working as long as you don't close the client but as soon as you do they don't work anymore, is something that I never heard about before

Chances are that I'll be able to load your savegame just fine, which won't be of much help to you.
So maybe the log files give some clue. But your problem definately sounds weird. :\

spydermr2

Post by spydermr2 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:43 pm

Attracting the unusual is my norm, I'm afraid.
As I've said, I've reinstalled repeatedly, and tested each step incrementally. It only breaks with the install of Eclipse and its updating. With the files from the German website, it lets per-session saves be loaded. But no other loading.
Meanwhile, if I set the updater to the base game, the base game then can be played, and that save-load works fine.
Frustrating, is what it is. Utterly bizarre.
My machine: homebuilt with seven large fans (no heating issues here); I7-2600 @ 3.4ghz. 16gb RAM, Win7, Nvidia GTX 560ti.

Not sure if I should be complaining to Matrixgames about buying a game that out-of-the-box doesn't work (and not being able to save/load a game is fundamentally important to any 4x game). Beginning to wish my dislike of Steam wasn't quite so strong, since apparently the Steam version doesn't have the save-load issue (using the Beta files). Didn't buy that version anyway, so...

Here's hoping there's a simple fix... :)

Hopefully.

spydermr2

Post by spydermr2 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:52 pm

I said that wrong. No load works except per-session once Eclipse is installed/updated. Base First Contact without Eclipse installed works fine.
Setting the updater to base game actually doesn't load right either. Base game works only if the expansion isn't installed.

Ugh, what a mess.

spydermr2

Post by spydermr2 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:35 pm

OK. New result.
Same installation from yesterday. I put the files from the German-language site you linked to into the binaries sub-directory. Launched the game and when the auto-updated immediately popped-up I hit "skip". Got into the game, loaded a game file from last night. It loaded.
After getting over the shock, I played a turn, saved it. Exited out to the desktop. Started the game, hit "skip". Loaded the game... and it worked. Repeated it three times.
I then let the auto-update run. It said there was an update available and started downloading it. Apparently, the auto-updater doesn't recognize the files from that German-language site as being the most up-to-date beta files. The auto-update pulls up the 1.5.5 beta files from its source... and after that, the load problem returns.
OK. Copied the files from the German-language site once more into the binaries sub-directory and repeated as above. Load works.
I repeated it three more times, dropping all the way to the desktop. Load works, as long as I do not allow the auto-updater to do its thing. If I miss that, if it autoupdates at all, the load problem returns.
So the files from above work, the files at the auto-updater for beta don't.

I will play a while, save it again, and repeated the "drop-to-desktop-restart-hit-skip-load" test and let you know how that goes.
I live in fear of the auto-updater, in the meantime, and my inability to hit "skip" fast enough.
Is there a way to manually turn off the auto-updater, so it only runs if manually called-for?
(here's to hoping that the load feature keeps working, using the method above)

Xilmi

Post by Xilmi » Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:46 pm

As I expected I can load your savegame just fine.

Proof: You are James Heid, your city is on a peninsula with water to the west and it's arctical climate around

The log-files are interesting.
Let me explain something first:
The game consists basically of two programs running simultaneously.
Pandora.exe and PandoraServer.exe
Those communicate with each other.
According to your log the server loses the connection to the client and thus destroys the world as it thinks there is noone who sees it, so it's unnecessary.
"An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host"

I don't know what could cause this disconnect and why it doesn't happen in the base game.
Maybe some sort of firewall or another program running in the background?

Do you have any other computer to try running the game on? It appears to be something very specific to your system.

Edit... okay crosspost....

The auto-updater does not recognize the files because they are compiled for use with steam.

It is strange that you have to be fast with hitting skip.

I tried to reproduce it and when I copy the steam-exes to the standalone-folder and run "Pandora.exe", the updater tells me that there is an update of 2.7 MB but I still have the option to click "Skip".

Return to “Pandora : Tech Support”