Unsub's 12 Faction Mod, 6 New, 6 Rebalanced

Moderators: Pandora Moderators, Slitherine Core

unsubstantiation
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Unsub's 12 Faction Mod, 6 New, 6 Rebalanced

Post by unsubstantiation » Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:47 am

When playing I found that there were too few factions and that there was an imbalance among those that existed, my goal is to change that. This will be the first part of a growing mod hopefully. But I'm very satisfied with what I made. Feel free to tell me what you think.

Install Instructions

Windows 7:
C:\Users\drlawyer\AppData\Roaming\Proxy Studios\Pandora\

Windows XP:
C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Application Data\Proxy Studios\Pandora\

Mac OS X:
/Users/<user>/Library/Application Support/Proxy Studios/Pandora/

Linux:
/home/<user>/.config/Proxy Studios/Pandora/”

Download link:
Download

Most recent file update 2-23-14
Updates I plan to do in the near future listed by order of priority:
-add ability to bulid/buy multiple cheap units in 1 turn.
-expand the tech tree.
-fix any bugs I am made aware of.
-change the .oog files so that new factions audio descriptions are unique.
-add more unique dialouges.

Updates I would like, but cannot figure out how create:
-ability to have more than 6 factions in a game. I have not seen any .xml file that relates to this. There are two files that relate to the subject, both named worldparameters.xml but in different folders. They allude to size variables where "Size0" through "Size5" are used and explained. I believe they also determine the number of factions present in the game However this is not the area to add new Sizex variables or to edit the size variables, although it does allow changes in planet size. I've tried adding Sizex variables here to attempt to give more planet options while not changing the old ones, but no luck. I think It's unlikely that i can mod this issue with my level of skill, it's simply not accesible, however it's possible I missed something.

If anybody is interested on working with me to further mod this project feel free to let me know. :)

Last edited by unsubstantiation on Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

mrowka
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Re: Unsub's 12 Faction Mod, 6 New, 6 Rebalanced

Post by mrowka » Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:27 pm

Wow looks awsome, will test it today.
As from what i think, you should focus on new technologies first it will allow you to balance races better.
And you can switch image of terra salvum with xenophiles, they did live thier entire life in space radiation so xenophiles is a perfect look for them :D

Edit:
Tested and it seems they play well for AI. Not sure if its just my luck or programming but my navy guy always starts in the middle of the continent :cry: .
Factions are kinda overpowered for this moment, and giving them free tech especialy high tier one dont help.
You could try to make some unique tech for them i.e watchers can get a special scan building as a building to build at the start, that scan would have wider range that the normal one, this can be done by adding "radius=2" to scan this will incerase scan range by 1 sector.
Or xenophiles could get a buildings after certian research that incerase resources gain fron fungus just like food plants and mining building.
But thats just my wild opinions :D

unsubstantiation

Post by unsubstantiation » Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:35 am

Thanks for trying, I hope you like it. :)
I think expanding the tech tree is what I will work on next, specifically on the end game portion, and affecting how fast research points grow. The Navy guy is a bit of an issue, I haven't found a way to force landing on the coast. On the plus side, If the closest body of water is the ocean when you build your first city the ship moves to the ocean. I may just drop him from having the watercraft at the start though, it is a bit of an OP unit to get for free, or maybe weaken it to a power of 3. Some of the races do start with highlevel techs (Merk, and Watcher), but their techs aren't particularly useful right off the bat, so I was thinking that balances things. I also added techs to all the original races, to keep balance. I like your idea of unique techs, I hadn't thought of that at all, I like that since it doesn't show the skill tree at all then, and I can make them more balanced. Did you feel the xenophiles were to OP starting with the ability to draw one food or one ore from fungi?

mrowka
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by mrowka » Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:18 am

Xenophiles dont seem to be op(exept the scite) in up to mid game, cant say more since didnt play with them for longer, i dont say the bonuses arent usefull especialy with fungus cultivation technology, so if you dont got any good terrain you can make one at expense of 2 grids in early game ( 1 forest, 1 fungai). But you cant make any more of this in early/ mid game since high pollution = less prodductivity. Generally i think the original fungai tree is op, my late games looks like fungai/forests only, 4 food/productions beats every other patch and at that stage -1 pullution isnt a big deal especially for a good movment restriction on defense that fungai produce, damage that it can do, and that its a feature that no1 care to destroy :D
So i assume that xenophiles can get some good standing in late mid and late where minerals are a problem ( atleast in my games), this will give them ability to get more people in production.

I did some tries on unique tech but i cant seem to find a way to its being on a tree but be only restricted to specific faction. Also i did try to make it hidden and get a effect to unhide it only if your a specific faction but it didnt work to. Hope you get more luck since my xml knowledge is more like exploring catacumbs in the dark than actually know what im doing :D

Edit: found a bug with our mods work together and possibly with IjonTihy terrain mod to.
At the chance window estimate casualitlies are a - value and when i attack both units heal insted of taking damage, i assume thats its general game problem and as a standart chances that tank got are -100% it also gets -20% racial penatly thats go below -100% or in value text it go for value 0 to - 0.2. I did look thrugh files of both our mods and didnt find anything wrong, then again im not good at xml. As for why this is possible game problem, well its looks like ther is no cap to this values so in case of defnese it just might end up like that. So just keep that in mind for the moment, gona spam that on beta forum since it might be only a temoprary bug, frankly i didnt fight reds before :D

Return to “Pandora : Modders Corner”