Pike and Shot announced

Byzantine Productions Pike and Shot is a deep strategy game set during the bloody conflict of the Thirty Years War.

Moderators: rbodleyscott, Slitherine Core, Gothic Labs

Post Reply
Surtur
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 623
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:38 am

Pike and Shot announced

Post by Surtur » Thu May 15, 2014 4:23 pm

Here at Home of Wargamers, developer Byzantine Productions has announced Pike and Shot a deep strategy game based on the Battle Academy engine. Set during the bloody conflict of the Thirty Years War, Pike and Shot brings the Battle Academy engine to a whole new level.

In the age of Pike and Shot, mighty struggles erupted across Europe for causes religious, political or dynastic. The Thirty Years War raged across Germany and beyond, leaving devastation in its wake, but saw the rise of great commanders such as Count Tilly, Wallenstein and King Gustavus Adolphus of Sweden, and rapid developments in battlefield tactics. Musketeers “gave fire” in a duel to the death, pikeman held stolidly against enemy assaults, and cavalry charged to glory or defeat.

Pike and Shot will release later this year for PC, Mac and iPad

See the product page for more information.

Image

Image

LandMarine47
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I
Posts: 2423
Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:44 pm
Location: Texas

Re: Pike and Shot announced

Post by LandMarine47 » Fri May 16, 2014 12:05 pm

BA engine? Pike and Shot? 30 years war? Where do I throw my money at? :)

Navaronegun
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Posts: 946
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:39 pm
Location: Arizona, USA -7 GMT

Re: Pike and Shot announced

Post by Navaronegun » Fri May 16, 2014 6:48 pm

Excellent! Is there an estimate on the release date?
I think the best way to describe our operations to date is that they have violated every recognized principle of war.
General Eisenhower, Supreme Commander Allied Expeditionary Force, on the Tunisian Campaign, 27 DEC 1942.

collier4
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF
Posts: 262
Joined: Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:52 am
Location: Australia

Re: Pike and Shot announced

Post by collier4 » Sat May 17, 2014 3:55 am

Slitherine certainly has a robust pipeline of forthcoming games :D

LandMarine47
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I
Posts: 2423
Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:44 pm
Location: Texas

Re: Pike and Shot announced

Post by LandMarine47 » Sat May 17, 2014 4:11 am

Well I can rest at night knowing I'll never have to face a King Tiger ever again!

Micha63
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier
Posts: 774
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:56 pm
Location: Germany
Contact:

Re: Pike and Shot announced

Post by Micha63 » Sat May 17, 2014 12:13 pm

I cant belive it !!! A roundbased game about the 30 years war. I was surching for years for such agame.
This are really great news.

Sabratha
SPM Contributor
SPM Contributor
Posts: 497
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:39 am

Re: Pike and Shot announced

Post by Sabratha » Sat May 17, 2014 1:19 pm

Sounds suprisingly fresh and interesting.

OxfordGuy3
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Posts: 332
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:32 pm
Location: Oxford, UK

Re: Pike and Shot announced

Post by OxfordGuy3 » Sat May 17, 2014 5:51 pm

Just take my money! :D

I'm really liking the sound of this, something a bit different for a change, from a neglected period

collier4
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF
Posts: 262
Joined: Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:52 am
Location: Australia

Re: Pike and Shot announced

Post by collier4 » Sun May 18, 2014 12:03 am

LandMarine47 wrote:Well I can rest at night knowing I'll never have to face a King Tiger ever again!
There must have been an equivalent for the 30 year war? Can't wait to find out what is is!

LandMarine47
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I
Posts: 2423
Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:44 pm
Location: Texas

Re: Pike and Shot announced

Post by LandMarine47 » Sun May 18, 2014 4:56 am

collier4 wrote:
LandMarine47 wrote:Well I can rest at night knowing I'll never have to face a King Tiger ever again!
There must have been an equivalent for the 30 year war? Can't wait to find out what is is!
King Pikemen? :roll: :wink:

lecrop
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Posts: 81
Joined: Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:21 pm

Re: Pike and Shot announced

Post by lecrop » Sun May 18, 2014 8:34 am

LandMarine47 wrote:
collier4 wrote:
LandMarine47 wrote:Well I can rest at night knowing I'll never have to face a King Tiger ever again!
There must have been an equivalent for the 30 year war? Can't wait to find out what is is!
King Pikemen? :roll: :wink:
Spanish Tercios :mrgreen:

Image

Micha63
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier
Posts: 774
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:56 pm
Location: Germany
Contact:

Re: Pike and Shot announced

Post by Micha63 » Sun May 18, 2014 9:23 am

Lets hope this game will have good and easy rules .
Please not rules like in HPS games or in "Horses and muskets".
Rules like in field of glory would be great. :D
Most players want to figth and not always rally and resupply units or manage recources or Diplomaty.

Sabratha
SPM Contributor
SPM Contributor
Posts: 497
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:39 am

Re: Pike and Shot announced

Post by Sabratha » Sun May 18, 2014 1:55 pm

collier4 wrote:
LandMarine47 wrote:Well I can rest at night knowing I'll never have to face a King Tiger ever again!
There must have been an equivalent for the 30 year war? Can't wait to find out what is is!
In that period, the only equivalent could be the winged hussars.
Although I am not sure if they will feature in the game, as likely it will just cover the western armies. I doubt that Polish (or other "eastern" forces - Russian, cossacks, Tatars, Ottomans) will be available, as they were periferial to the 30 years war.

TheGrayMouser
General - Carrier
General - Carrier
Posts: 4641
Joined: Sat Nov 14, 2009 2:42 pm

Re: Pike and Shot announced

Post by TheGrayMouser » Sun May 18, 2014 2:27 pm

Wow , finally a 30 YW game!!!!

So I am quite surprised that the engine will be the BA one... Since a screenshot of the game appears to have unit attributes similar to the Field of Glory TT game (impact pistol etc), just curious then why then the Unity version of FOG PC was not considered?

Navaronegun
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Posts: 946
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:39 pm
Location: Arizona, USA -7 GMT

Re: Pike and Shot announced

Post by Navaronegun » Sun May 18, 2014 3:46 pm

lecrop wrote:
Image

Fantastic post! I am so eager for this release! My money is in hand, ready to be thrown into the wind from my roof! :D
I think the best way to describe our operations to date is that they have violated every recognized principle of war.
General Eisenhower, Supreme Commander Allied Expeditionary Force, on the Tunisian Campaign, 27 DEC 1942.

Navaronegun
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Posts: 946
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:39 pm
Location: Arizona, USA -7 GMT

Re: Pike and Shot announced

Post by Navaronegun » Sun May 18, 2014 3:48 pm

TheGrayMouser wrote:Wow , finally a 30 YW game!!!!

So I am quite surprised that the engine will be the BA one... Since a screenshot of the game appears to have unit attributes similar to the Field of Glory TT game (impact pistol etc), just curious then why then the Unity version of FOG PC was not considered?

My guess would be scale. Also, the use of cannon likely required higher ranges. Lastly, the STUB engine likely allowed for an easier port to iPad.

Nav
I think the best way to describe our operations to date is that they have violated every recognized principle of war.
General Eisenhower, Supreme Commander Allied Expeditionary Force, on the Tunisian Campaign, 27 DEC 1942.

TheGrayMouser
General - Carrier
General - Carrier
Posts: 4641
Joined: Sat Nov 14, 2009 2:42 pm

Re: Pike and Shot announced

Post by TheGrayMouser » Sun May 18, 2014 5:24 pm

Navaronegun wrote:
TheGrayMouser wrote:Wow , finally a 30 YW game!!!!

So I am quite surprised that the engine will be the BA one... Since a screenshot of the game appears to have unit attributes similar to the Field of Glory TT game (impact pistol etc), just curious then why then the Unity version of FOG PC was not considered?

My guess would be scale. Also, the use of cannon likely required higher ranges. Lastly, the STUB engine likely allowed for an easier port to iPad.

Nav
Not sure what you mean by scale, 50 to 100 yards seems reasonable for any tactical wargame for this period, unless you mean BA simply allows for bigger maps?
Doesn't BA use a "grid" instead of hexes? If so not sure how facing will be tackled?
Regardless, really looking forward to this one, I actually bought the FOG Ren. rules, despite the fact I don't , and likely will never own any mini's, that's how much this era intrigues me
Cheers!

TheGrayMouser
General - Carrier
General - Carrier
Posts: 4641
Joined: Sat Nov 14, 2009 2:42 pm

Re: Pike and Shot announced

Post by TheGrayMouser » Sun May 18, 2014 5:51 pm

collier4 wrote:
LandMarine47 wrote:Well I can rest at night knowing I'll never have to face a King Tiger ever again!
There must have been an equivalent for the 30 year war? Can't wait to find out what is is!
Pappenheims elite cuirassiers :)
Attachments
3ehv.jpg
3ehv.jpg (170.38 KiB) Viewed 14047 times

Navaronegun
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Posts: 946
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:39 pm
Location: Arizona, USA -7 GMT

Re: Pike and Shot announced

Post by Navaronegun » Sun May 18, 2014 5:56 pm

TheGrayMouser wrote:
Navaronegun wrote:
TheGrayMouser wrote:Wow , finally a 30 YW game!!!!

So I am quite surprised that the engine will be the BA one... Since a screenshot of the game appears to have unit attributes similar to the Field of Glory TT game (impact pistol etc), just curious then why then the Unity version of FOG PC was not considered?

My guess would be scale. Also, the use of cannon likely required higher ranges. Lastly, the STUB engine likely allowed for an easier port to iPad.

Nav
Not sure what you mean by scale, 50 to 100 yards seems reasonable for any tactical wargame for this period, unless you mean BA simply allows for bigger maps?
Doesn't BA use a "grid" instead of hexes? If so not sure how facing will be tackled?
Regardless, really looking forward to this one, I actually bought the FOG Ren. rules, despite the fact I don't , and likely will never own any mini's, that's how much this era intrigues me
Cheers!
The "Grid" is a misnomer, to all intents and purposes it behaves as hex map. How big can FoG get, mapwise?
I think the best way to describe our operations to date is that they have violated every recognized principle of war.
General Eisenhower, Supreme Commander Allied Expeditionary Force, on the Tunisian Campaign, 27 DEC 1942.

TheGrayMouser
General - Carrier
General - Carrier
Posts: 4641
Joined: Sat Nov 14, 2009 2:42 pm

Re: Pike and Shot announced

Post by TheGrayMouser » Sun May 18, 2014 6:03 pm

Yeah I can see that, a "square" could allow for 6 facings in a pinch, and the one screenshot I could find indicates that.
I know its reading WAY too much into a screenie, but based on the crossed sword icons, Me guesses there will be phased resolution, which I like.
http://www.wargamer.fr/home-of-wargamer ... come-home/
(I wonder if there are any additional screenies ou there?)

Filed of Glory allows 50-30 hex sized maps, not sure if the currently being updated version will allow for bigger....

Post Reply

Return to “Pike & Shot”