Expansion campaigns?

Byzantine Productions Pike and Shot is a deep strategy game set during the bloody conflict of the Thirty Years War.

Moderators: rbodleyscott, Slitherine Core, Gothic Labs

rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Re: Expansion campaigns?

Post by rbodleyscott » Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:52 pm

jimcrowley wrote:I strongly suspect that I will be forced to play the Royalists in many of the English civil war battles - and I am a roundhead :shock:

You will be able to play as Parliament vs the AI in 3 of the 10 ECW scenarios (Adwalton Moor, Bristol, Lostwithiel) and in as many random map games as you like.
jimcrowley wrote:Is there a possibility that reverse versions of these battles can be produced as an expansion, especially as the battles already exist in MP format.
I have little doubt that additional scenarios will appear played from each side. Whether these will be developed by us, player-made, or officially sanctioned player-made scenarios will depend on demand and time available.

The really time consuming part is writing bespoke AI for each historical scenario and testing it extensively to make sure it cannot be easily hoodwinked, or circumvented by the player using unrealistic tactics. Particularly hard if the historical scenario dictates that the player has the advantage in forces. It might be better to start from scratch with other scenarios in which Parliament was on the back foot. Such scenarios make better SP games.

In the meantime, I am sure you will find plenty of Royalists willing to battle you in MP historical or random map games. You can practice using SP random map games - the AI is no slouch. Although there is really no reason not to practice by playing real players. You won't suffer any lasting harm from an MP defeat!
Richard Bodley Scott

Vadim84
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Vadim84 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:42 pm

So it means i may have to play Rocroi or Marignan against a french IA ? Well I know what will be my first PBEM request then ~ Give me my Conde (and Francois I) back !

I have to say it is a rather unusual -and totally unexpected - choice to allow one side and not the other, but why not. If it really means a good/historical IA I can go with it. Do not hesitate to spend more time on the scripts, I would be ready to pay 5/10 euros for a DLC "the other side of the moon" which would allow us to play both sides of each scenario if I am satisfied with the basic game.

As for the historical pat, I def. understand your choice, I think it is one of the reasons of having a "great campaign 30 YWar" kinda game so difficult. Same for the Italian wars- but maybe the english civil war could be a bit different. (However as far as this campaign is concerned, I can play either with the Parliament or the Royalist, I do not have any special feeling for one or the other :mrgreen: )

gavril
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by gavril » Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:30 pm

Just downloaded the game and played the first tutorial. All looking very good indeed. :D

I suspect that there will be a big selection of home made battles added by the user community, so I don't think there will ever be a lack of choice on the big battles of the period and being able to play your preferred side!... 8)

rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott » Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:21 pm

Vadim84 wrote:So it means i may have to play Rocroi or Marignan against a french IA ? Well I know what will be my first PBEM request then ~ Give me my Conde (and Francois I) back !
The player side is the French in both those scenarios.
Richard Bodley Scott

Vadim84
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Vadim84 » Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:01 am

rbodleyscott wrote:
Vadim84 wrote:So it means i may have to play Rocroi or Marignan against a french IA ? Well I know what will be my first PBEM request then ~ Give me my Conde (and Francois I) back !
The player side is the French in both those scenarios.

Yes I saw, actually most of the Italian battles are on the French side, which I wont complain. If I had time I could design some of Louis XIV most famous battle, but wont be for the coming months.

First impressions are good although I can t tell about the IA yet, will give it a try sat or sund.

Thank you for your good work !

Vichyssoise
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by Vichyssoise » Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:48 am

Are there any plans for a campaign during the sengoku period in the future?

rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott » Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:51 am

Vichyssoise wrote:Are there any plans for a campaign during the sengoku period in the future?
It has certainly been proposed. We have not yet decide which order to do expansions in.
Richard Bodley Scott

Vichyssoise

Post by Vichyssoise » Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:02 pm

rbodleyscott wrote:
Vichyssoise wrote:Are there any plans for a campaign during the sengoku period in the future?
It has certainly been proposed. We have not yet decide which order to do expansions in.
Thanks. I understand. Great news nonetheless.

TheGrayMouser
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by TheGrayMouser » Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:42 pm

Haha, with all the "leaked" info it does seem likely though the ist expansion will be later 16th c Dutch wars and French wars of Religion :wink:

hidde
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by hidde » Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:41 pm

TheGrayMouser wrote:Haha, with all the "leaked" info it does seem likely though the ist expansion will be later 16th c Dutch wars and French wars of Religion :wink:
Ay,caramba! I want "The Great Northern War"! 8)

cavehobbit
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier

Post by cavehobbit » Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:14 pm

hidde wrote:
TheGrayMouser wrote:Haha, with all the "leaked" info it does seem likely though the ist expansion will be later 16th c Dutch wars and French wars of Religion :wink:
Ay,caramba! I want "The Great Northern War"! 8)
+1 :D

Micha63
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier

Post by Micha63 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:15 pm

7 years war would be great.

Return to “Pike & Shot”