Battles between 1700-1800

Byzantine Productions Pike and Shot is a deep strategy game set during the bloody conflict of the Thirty Years War.

Moderators: rbodleyscott, Slitherine Core, Gothic Labs

Micha63
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier
Posts: 774
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:56 pm
Location: Germany
Contact:

Battles between 1700-1800

Post by Micha63 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:42 pm

Hello,
is there a hope for battles between 1700 and 1800 in the future ?

rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2
Posts: 23043
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2005 6:25 pm

Re: Battles between 1700-1800

Post by rbodleyscott » Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:08 pm

Micha wrote:Hello,
is there a hope for battles between 1700 and 1800 in the future ?
Absolutely. We are currently in the process of deciding long term plans. Which direction our next project will take has not yet been decided.
Richard Bodley Scott

Image

Micha63
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier
Posts: 774
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:56 pm
Location: Germany
Contact:

Re: Battles between 1700-1800

Post by Micha63 » Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:08 am

Good to hear,
for this timeperiod the only game which is aviallable is "Horse and Musket " which has very strange gamerules.
The seven years war would be great but also the swedish russian war.

Hoplite1963
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Posts: 324
Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:32 pm

Re: Battles between 1700-1800

Post by Hoplite1963 » Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:51 am

Its only my view but I think the game system might work better going backward rather than forward in time. Moving into the horse and musket era would raise the question of how you would handle formation changes, march column into line etc and then there is the question of specific unit regiment names which I understand might mean a dedicated "Squads file" for each scenario.

For my money I would like first off to see a set of modules covering all or most of the armies in the "FOG(R)" miniatures rules and then some more extending coverage of the game back to say 1300.

Regards
Ian

Hrothgar
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad
Posts: 167
Joined: Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:53 pm

Re: Battles between 1700-1800

Post by Hrothgar » Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:56 am

I'll be interested in whatever period is chosen. I certainly wouldn't mind more eastern European scenarios. But I would like to see battles from the War of the Spanish Succession, which seems like a decent fit for this game.
Aut vincere aut in eo quod didici

grab
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Posts: 33
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2005 7:45 am

Re: Battles between 1700-1800

Post by grab » Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:10 pm

I'd like to see this game engine handle Republican and Imperial Rome.

Adraeth
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Posts: 333
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:19 am

Re: Battles between 1700-1800

Post by Adraeth » Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:00 pm

I think the system will be excellent if it stands in XVIII century from Malburian wars to Seven years wars; after that period it would be rather difficult to portrait the èlan of revolutionary wars and the demi - brigade and all the various formation changes.

Anyway, in from 1700 to 1763 a simple "modding" would easily portrait line infantry marching and volleying in line, dragoons (like the ones in the game here), pandurs (like muskets detachments as now), hussars and heavy cavalry .... without any change for column or square formation because the game can easily simulate the cohesion and battle values for volleys and melees without the need to force a formation change on units.

However, in my opinion, formation changes are absolutely important from 1789 to 1815 (together wit a solid command control system)

TheGrayMouser
General - Carrier
General - Carrier
Posts: 4777
Joined: Sat Nov 14, 2009 2:42 pm

Re: Battles between 1700-1800

Post by TheGrayMouser » Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:03 pm

Adraeth wrote:I think the system will be excellent if it stands in XVIII century from Malburian wars to Seven years wars; after that period it would be rather difficult to portrait the èlan of revolutionary wars and the demi - brigade and all the various formation changes.

Anyway, in from 1700 to 1763 a simple "modding" would easily portrait line infantry marching and volleying in line, dragoons (like the ones in the game here), pandurs (like muskets detachments as now), hussars and heavy cavalry .... without any change for column or square formation because the game can easily simulate the cohesion and battle values for volleys and melees without the need to force a formation change on units.

However, in my opinion, formation changes are absolutely important from 1789 to 1815 (together wit a solid command control system)
I agree with this, although Marlborian wars might be tough unless the engine is updated to allow more than 64 units per side (likley need at least 250 per for Malpaquet etc!)
I think the Great Northern War would be perfect with this engine as is, with little to no modifications.

Micha63
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier
Posts: 774
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:56 pm
Location: Germany
Contact:

Re: Battles between 1700-1800

Post by Micha63 » Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:27 pm

Hoplite1963 wrote:Its only my view but I think the game system might work better going backward rather than forward in time. Moving into the horse and musket era would raise the question of how you would handle formation changes, march column into line etc and then there is the question of specific unit regiment names which I understand might mean a dedicated "Squads file" for each scenario.

For my money I would like first off to see a set of modules covering all or most of the armies in the "FOG(R)" miniatures rules and then some more extending coverage of the game back to say 1300.

Regards
Ian
Sorry, i dissagree!
The timeperiodes you mean are wellcovered by field of glory. We dont need any Formation changes, a useless, time and nervkilling procedure.
I"m glad i dont have to stand this in Pike and shoot.

Micha63
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier
Posts: 774
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:56 pm
Location: Germany
Contact:

Re: Battles between 1700-1800

Post by Micha63 » Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:29 pm

Hrothgar wrote:I'll be interested in whatever period is chosen. I certainly wouldn't mind more eastern European scenarios. But I would like to see battles from the War of the Spanish Succession, which seems like a decent fit for this game.
Agree !

Micha63
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier
Posts: 774
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:56 pm
Location: Germany
Contact:

Re: Battles between 1700-1800

Post by Micha63 » Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:33 pm

Adraeth wrote:I think the system will be excellent if it stands in XVIII century from Malburian wars to Seven years wars; after that period it would be rather difficult to portrait the èlan of revolutionary wars and the demi - brigade and all the various formation changes.

Anyway, in from 1700 to 1763 a simple "modding" would easily portrait line infantry marching and volleying in line, dragoons (like the ones in the game here), pandurs (like muskets detachments as now), hussars and heavy cavalry .... without any change for column or square formation because the game can easily simulate the cohesion and battle values for volleys and melees without the need to force a formation change on units.

However, in my opinion, formation changes are absolutely important from 1789 to 1815 (together wit a solid command control system)
I agree, but please not againe the timestealing formationchanges and please no commandsystem like in John Tiller games or Horse and musket !

Adebar
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Posts: 313
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:39 pm
Location: HRR

Re: Battles between 1700-1800

Post by Adebar » Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:36 pm

Breaking news!

Zarkarion in the Steam forum:
(...) Currently we are working on a "Tercio to Salvo" expansion which will cover the gap between the end of the Italian Wars and the Swedish entry into the Thirty Years War. As such, it would include the French Wars of Religion, the Dutch War of Independence and the Swedish-Polish wars.

We would then hope to expand the game to the end of the 17th century - including the War of the League of Augsburg - and into the Middle East/India and perhaps the Far East.

The system could also be used for the first half of the 18th century and for the Ancient and Medieval periods.
http://steamcommunity.com/app/312390

Dammit, guys! Just take my money!

:mrgreen:
Image

IC XC
NI KA

Micha63
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier
Posts: 774
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:56 pm
Location: Germany
Contact:

Re: Battles between 1700-1800

Post by Micha63 » Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:42 pm

Adebar wrote:Breaking news!

Zarkarion in the Steam forum:
(...) Currently we are working on a "Tercio to Salvo" expansion which will cover the gap between the end of the Italian Wars and the Swedish entry into the Thirty Years War. As such, it would include the French Wars of Religion, the Dutch War of Independence and the Swedish-Polish wars.

We would then hope to expand the game to the end of the 17th century - including the War of the League of Augsburg - and into the Middle East/India and perhaps the Far East.

The system could also be used for the first half of the 18th century and for the Ancient and Medieval periods.
http://steamcommunity.com/app/312390

Dammit, guys! Just take my money!

:mrgreen:
Great !!!!

Hrothgar
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad
Posts: 167
Joined: Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:53 pm

Re: Battles between 1700-1800

Post by Hrothgar » Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:38 pm

Hadn't thought of it til it was mentioned here, but I, too, would like to see the system used for ancient battles. I used to play the Great Battles games [Alexander, Hannibal, and Caesar] quite a bit--still would, if they ran properly on new OSs. It would be nice to have a series of games covering ancient warfare. I bought, and played, the two Tin Soldiers games, but they didn't have the right feel, in my opinion.

It would be nice, however, if commanders could be included in an ancients version of this game. I liked how they worked in the Great Battles series.
Aut vincere aut in eo quod didici

TheGrayMouser
General - Carrier
General - Carrier
Posts: 4777
Joined: Sat Nov 14, 2009 2:42 pm

Re: Battles between 1700-1800

Post by TheGrayMouser » Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:14 pm

Hrothgar wrote:Hadn't thought of it til it was mentioned here, but I, too, would like to see the system used for ancient battles. I used to play the Great Battles games [Alexander, Hannibal, and Caesar] quite a bit--still would, if they ran properly on new OSs. It would be nice to have a series of games covering ancient warfare. I bought, and played, the two Tin Soldiers games, but they didn't have the right feel, in my opinion.

It would be nice, however, if commanders could be included in an ancients version of this game. I liked how they worked in the Great Battles series.
That was a Great Series and BTW go to GOG.COM (Grand Old Games)where you can purchase the series updated to work on current windows versions!

Hrothgar
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad
Posts: 167
Joined: Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:53 pm

Re: Battles between 1700-1800

Post by Hrothgar » Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:50 pm

I did buy it on GOG. Unhappily, it doesn't work properly. Originally, the game centered on the active leader, which was important, due to the leader impulse system. You never knew which leader would go next, and, by the time you scrolled around the map in a large battle, the AI's leader would be finished and you'd have to guess at what he'd done. In addition, the button to manually center on the active leader did not function.

Also, the Republican Roman armies had the ability, in the original game, to conduct a Manipular Line Extension, in which all the second-line cohorts in a Legion would move up and fill the gaps in the first line for the cost of only one group order. This function also does not work with the GOG version, which means, given the low command ratings of the usual Legion commander, it takes more than one turn to accomplish this. In fact, if I recall correctly, none of the group commands function in the GOG version.

There's an online site that provides instructions on how to make the original games run in later versions of Windows, and I had already done that; however, after doing this, the games suffered the same shortcomings as above. I bought the GOG versions, hoping they would have been fixed to run properly, but they were no better than the homemade fix given on the website I mentioned, so, in effect, I wasted my money buying them from GOG.

If someone--hint, Matrix!--would acquire the games and re-release them, with nothing more than bug-fixes, I'd happily pay full price for them.
Aut vincere aut in eo quod didici

TheGrayMouser
General - Carrier
General - Carrier
Posts: 4777
Joined: Sat Nov 14, 2009 2:42 pm

Re: Battles between 1700-1800

Post by TheGrayMouser » Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:38 pm

Ahh, thats too bad, didn't realize the GOG version had issues, was eventually going to pick up the series at some point or other. Ok though, P&S will suck up all my time anyhow

rexhurley
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther
Posts: 1020
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:33 am

Re: Battles between 1700-1800

Post by rexhurley » Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:04 am

Amen to all that it. Thinking about it this would make a good replacement for FOGD for Ancients..... :wink:

TheGrayMouser
General - Carrier
General - Carrier
Posts: 4777
Joined: Sat Nov 14, 2009 2:42 pm

Re: Battles between 1700-1800

Post by TheGrayMouser » Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:39 am

Adebar wrote:Breaking news!

Zarkarion in the Steam forum:
(...) Currently we are working on a "Tercio to Salvo" expansion which will cover the gap between the end of the Italian Wars and the Swedish entry into the Thirty Years War. As such, it would include the French Wars of Religion, the Dutch War of Independence and the Swedish-Polish wars.

We would then hope to expand the game to the end of the 17th century - including the War of the League of Augsburg - and into the Middle East/India and perhaps the Far East.

The system could also be used for the first half of the 18th century and for the Ancient and Medieval periods.
http://steamcommunity.com/app/312390

Dammit, guys! Just take my money!

:mrgreen:
Nice!
It is kinda scary reading some of the posts there about a turn based war game. Yikes! Fortunately as I don't buy off of steam I don't have to deal with that crap.

Adebar
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Posts: 313
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:39 pm
Location: HRR

Re: Battles between 1700-1800

Post by Adebar » Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:18 am

Yes, a lot of kids there that never played any turn-based games and see TW as the non plus ultra. :mrgreen:
Image

IC XC
NI KA

Post Reply

Return to “Pike & Shot”