Playing for each side in battle?

Byzantine Productions Pike and Shot is a deep strategy game set during the bloody conflict of the Thirty Years War.

Moderators: rbodleyscott, Slitherine Core, Gothic Labs

KeathZerstorer
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Playing for each side in battle?

Post by KeathZerstorer » Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:52 am

Will the future addon Campaigns add a possibility to play each existing official scenario for both sides in SP?

Game lacks it badly and that is the reason I didn't bought Pike $ Shot yet.

Zipuli
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Re: Playing for each side in battle?

Post by Zipuli » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:26 am

I would agree, especially as some of the scenarios are very, very difficult as is, and playing the other side would present another unique challenge. For example, after taking a good flogging in the early 30 years war scenarios, I realized, that even losing, I was doing better than the side assigned to me did in real life! For example White Mountain and Lutter... :D

KeathZerstorer

Post by KeathZerstorer » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:36 am

Zipuli wrote:I would agree, especially as some of the scenarios are very, very difficult as is, and playing the other side would present another unique challenge. For example, after taking a good flogging in the early 30 years war scenarios, I realized, that even losing, I was doing better than the side assigned to me did in real life! For example White Mountain and Lutter... :D
That's true. And that is sad we can't choose a side to command - now I play Musket & Pike: Renaissance, and such ability (together with various what-ifs) gives the game great replayability and significantly increasing interest.

I'd even would agree to buy a new addition after Campaigns if it will add playing for both sides. Now this is up to developers and it seems they don't like this idea. Maybe if more peopel will be interested in such addition, developers will finaly make it real.

rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott » Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:31 pm

The way the engine works means that to have SP scenarios playable from either side, completely separate reversed versions of the scenarios have to be set up, with their own custom AI. The engine cannot reverse the scenario sides automatically.

Because we wanted the game to be challenging, the sides were chosen in the historical SP scenarios on the basis of the player commanding the historically numerically/qualitatively disadvantaged side. That being the case it did not seem worthwhile making reversed versions of these scenarios because they would present very little challenge for the player (if the victory conditions merely required them to win the battle).

You can of course play the other side in the vast majority of the battles by posting an MP challenge. The victory conditions are adjusted to allow for the advantaged side's initial advantage. So the advantaged side can win the battle but lose the scenario by not winning decisively enough.

This could be done for future SP scenarios, but we currently have no plans to add reversed versions of the existing scenarios.
Richard Bodley Scott

stefankollers
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by stefankollers » Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:56 pm

Yes it's a pity we can't choose sides. I just downoaded "Fogmans" Edgehill battl" As always put alot of work into it. However I now have two versions of Edgehill, both played from the Royalist side.....Such a pity we can't change sides...I don't suppose there is an easy way ?

Warlord156
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Warlord156 » Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:06 pm

I am at present in the process of modifying my Edgehill scenario, so that it can be played from the Parliamentary side. And also a multi-player version as well, these will be ready soon...... I will also be doing the same with most of the original ECW scenario's over the coming months. Any feedback people give me is welcome and I will try to respond to any of their idea's.

Regards
Warlord156

erm.... 'Fogmans' Edgehill battle????

rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott » Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:02 am

stefankollers wrote:Yes it's a pity we can't choose sides. I just downoaded "Fogmans" Edgehill battl" As always put alot of work into it. However I now have two versions of Edgehill, both played from the Royalist side.....Such a pity we can't change sides...I don't suppose there is an easy way ?
The only easy way is to play it MP.
Richard Bodley Scott

stefankollers
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by stefankollers » Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:13 am

Sorry wrong name my apolgises. I think the Edgehill battle would be challenging which ever side was played, either Parliment or Royalist..........A victory to Parliament may well of brought the King to the negoitating table. Or a Royalist Victory could have nipped "The rebellion" in the bud. Neither was achieved.

It would certainly be appreciated if the scenerios could be played from either side. Thanks again for taking the trouble to change the scenerios.

stefankollers
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by stefankollers » Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:33 pm

That was quick ! Thanks to Warlord for bringing out the “Edgehill scenario” which can be played using the forces of Parliament.
I actually don’t like playing the Civil war battles using the Royalists. So most of my battles I use Skirmish mode............I would like to play more of the Civil War scenario battles using Parliament, although I like playing in Single Player..........I would not wish to embarrass myself using Multiplayer. Anyway thanks again.........Will look forward to playing this.

Return to “Pike & Shot”