Strategy & Tactics Guide needed.

Byzantine Productions Pike and Shot is a deep strategy game set during the bloody conflict of the Thirty Years War.

Moderators: rbodleyscott, Slitherine Core, Gothic Labs

champagne
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Strategy & Tactics Guide needed.

Post by champagne » Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:13 pm

I could also use an "Undo Command" hotkey.

I also need to count out how far in APs my units and AI units can move but I'd rather there be a game feature to show this rather than me computing it myself.

I have purchased FoG II and I wonder if the requested materials are available for that game as well.

I'm not very good at this game right now.

Thanks very much.

jomni
Sengoku Jidai
Sengoku Jidai

Re: Strategy & Tactics Guide needed.

Post by jomni » Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:30 am

To get good at the game, just keep playing. Maybe start at lower difficulty then turn on detailed tooltips.

Micha63
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier

Post by Micha63 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:41 am

jomni wrote:To get good at the game, just keep playing. Maybe start at lower difficulty then turn on detailed tooltips.
The problem i had was the high difficulty of the game even though i playd in the lowest level. Specially usermade scenarios were horrible hard.
The easyst solution : load the scenario into the editor and remove aproximatelly 10 % of the enemy troops, sometimes less , sometimes more.
So the game becomes playable also for weaker players like me.
Since i do that the game is one of my favorite. And more and more i can win also without reworking the scenarios.

Pixel
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by Pixel » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:48 am

The undo command was added in FoGII but only for moves that don't end in a attack or the revealing/spotting of a hidden enemy unit.

As for learning P&S tackle the tutorials and do some small and medium skrimish games before diving into some of the Historical and community scenarios.

Definitely use the detailed tooltips and read or at least skim the manual particularly sections 9 through 14 (pages 24 to 49). Also look at the Hints and Tips section on page 56. The detailed tooltips are very useful for seeing how the POAs (point of advantage) effect combat results.

This thread summarizes a bunch of stuff that may be useful for you: http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtop ... 99&t=73465

Some of the historical scenarios can be very challenging on the first go so don't feel too bad. Also in the P&S ones you are usually playing the side that lost historically. Note: you can also skip a battle as they don't actually have to be played in order.

Warlord156's Cropredy Bridge 1644 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Cropredy_Bridge) scenario is one of the community ones that comes to mind as being smaller in scale.

Note that the community scenarios can sometimes have features or modified unit abilities/unit types that are different from the base game (especially the ones set in different eras. e.g. ranges modified in Odenathus' Anglo-Zulu Wars battles).
Last edited by Pixel on Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
Image Image

Pixel

Post by Pixel » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:57 am

I also found, in my experience, that some of the initial Tercio to Salvo battles (French Wars of Religion) were a little less tricky to puzzle through then the beginning TYW scenarios aka Pilgram-Lomnitz and White Mountain.

Take a look a the AAR section on the forums too.
Image Image

jomni
Sengoku Jidai
Sengoku Jidai

Post by jomni » Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:39 am

Do play more skirmish. The set piece scenarios Richard did are indeed very difficult.

champagne

Post by champagne » Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:13 am

Thanks to you all very much. I have already taken the time today to take your advice.

May I please request advice on the particular matter of how to tell whether an enemy unit has enough APs to gain a flank on one of my units that I'm trying to position. If there is no game feature to tell me this info, then, I suppose that everyone simply counts out the APs of the enemy unit just like we do when we play the old fashioned board wargames.

I suppose that we calculate the enemy APs in on our own without computer help, correct? Thanks.

champagne

Post by champagne » Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:14 am

jomni wrote:Do play more skirmish. The set piece scenarios Richard did are indeed very difficult.
He did a fine job designing these scenarios.

Return to “Pike & Shot”