Fatigue

Byzantine Productions Pike and Shot is a deep strategy game set during the bloody conflict of the Thirty Years War.

Moderators: rbodleyscott, Slitherine Core, Gothic Labs, rbodleyscott, Slitherine Core, Gothic Labs

AlexDetrojan
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Fatigue

Post by AlexDetrojan » Fri May 03, 2019 3:20 pm

How is fatigue portraited in this game? I play a few other digital games(in this era) by other companies(HPS, John Tiller etc.)and fatigue is represented fairly realistically I feel. Are there internal algorithms within the game that portrait this? Just curious.
Cheers
Alex

Pixel

Re: Fatigue

Post by Pixel » Sat May 04, 2019 5:23 am

There isn't a discrete fatigue system or mechanic as far as I am aware. It is simply abstracted into overall cohesion and unit quality. In the map based campaigns units can be under strength at the beginning of battles too. A few of the historical scenarios I think tweak unit quality / mark units as demoralized to represent troops that are less then well rested (from a road march before a battle or what not) and or need to be portrayed as less effective for other reasons. The loss of unit effectiveness in the battles themselves is just cohesion, disorder, etc.
Image Image

Pixel

Post by Pixel » Sat May 04, 2019 5:31 am

I guess one could envision a system whereby units that are moved continuously or under enemy fire / melee combat over a number of turns or which charge and pursue get a fatigue designation or token that they can only recover by not being involved in combats / not moving for a number of turns. Presumably, the fatigue token would then effect movement rates or cause disorder type penalties if units continued to move or fight. But, such a system would likely slow down the overall pace of play. Maybe it is something a Pike and Shot sequel could explore. Similarly, the ranges in the game are extended over what might arguably be considered historical effective ranges. Additionally, things like ammunition counts / command and control via leaders are also not explicitly modeled.

Although, Sengoku and FoG II added leaders in the form of Generals attached to units. In FoG II ranged units have a limit on how many turns they can shoot at full effectiveness (expressed in terms of Ammo).
Image Image

TheGrayMouser
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by TheGrayMouser » Sat May 04, 2019 1:38 pm

AlexDetrojan wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 3:20 pm
How is fatigue portraited in this game? I play a few other digital games(in this era) by other companies(HPS, John Tiller etc.)and fatigue is represented fairly realistically I feel. Are there internal algorithms within the game that portrait this? Just curious.
Cheers
Alex

There is no fatigue modelled period, why would there be secret game mechanics not mentioned in the manual? :)

That being said, one could argue that the unit autobreak feature simulates the "point of no return" for absolute mental and physical exhaustion….

AlexDetrojan

Post by AlexDetrojan » Sat May 04, 2019 4:57 pm

Good answers all, thanks. Why I ask is that an acquaintance of mine is into historical reenactment of this period. He is a 'piker' and after about an hour of 'fighting' his arms are toast(and he's fairly fit). So I would imagine that with fighting ,poking, slugging and marching, after a full days battle historically, fatigue would have been a serious problem...
Cheers
Alex

Return to “Pike & Shot”