Difficulty Levels

Byzantine Productions Pike and Shot is a deep strategy game set during the bloody conflict of the Thirty Years War.

Moderators: rbodleyscott, Slitherine Core, Gothic Labs

StuccoFresco
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

Difficulty Levels

Post by StuccoFresco »

Hello. How do difficulty levels affect the game? Do the AI takes more time to execute moves by pondering them more, meaning it's a "stronger" AI? Or do they provide flat bonii to AI units?
SnuggleBunnies
Major-General - Jagdtiger

Re: Difficulty Levels

Post by SnuggleBunnies »

At the lowest level, you get more points and a slight boost to unit quality (ie, average units will be above average). The reverse at the highest difficulty. Otherwise, higher difficulty just gives the ai more points to spend.
SnuggleBunny's Field of Glory II / Medieval / Pike and Shot / Sengoku Jidai MP Channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjUQy6dEqR53NwoGgjxixLg
StuccoFresco

Post by StuccoFresco »

Are scenarios fixed in points? If yes, does that mean that apart from the "extreme" settings, changing difficulty means nothing since the extra points are not used?
SnuggleBunnies

Post by SnuggleBunnies »

In scenarios the difficulty changes the number of men fielded by one side or another. Since the exact numbers are never really certain, this isn't even necessarily ahistorical.
SnuggleBunny's Field of Glory II / Medieval / Pike and Shot / Sengoku Jidai MP Channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjUQy6dEqR53NwoGgjxixLg
StuccoFresco

Post by StuccoFresco »

Understood, thanks.
StuccoFresco

Post by StuccoFresco »

I have a question: I've tried Rocroi and Victoria 1813 scenarios. I believe toward the end of the battle I noticed Rocroi was at middle difficulty or the closest easier level. While I was closing in the Vitoria 1813 scenario I noticed it was set on maximum difficulty, but I didn't set it as such.

Do scenarios have custom difficulty settings?
Paul59
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Post by Paul59 »

StuccoFresco wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:46 am I have a question: I've tried Rocroi and Victoria 1813 scenarios. I believe toward the end of the battle I noticed Rocroi was at middle difficulty or the closest easier level. While I was closing in the Vitoria 1813 scenario I noticed it was set on maximum difficulty, but I didn't set it as such.

Do scenarios have custom difficulty settings?
A lot of custom scenarios by Odenathus change the games settings to maximum difficulty. I have never used that technique with any of my scenarios.
Field of Glory II Scenario Designer - Age of Belisarius, Rise of Persia, Wolves at the Gate and Swifter than Eagles.

Field of Glory II Medieval Scenario Designer.

FOGII TT Mod Creator

Warhammer 40,000: Sanctus Reach Tournament Scenario Designer.
StuccoFresco

Post by StuccoFresco »

Ah, good to know. I've involountarily beaten the French at max difficulty, then!

Return to “Pike & Shot”