[Suggestion] Game's activation & discounts policy

If you have any feedback on the web site or any problems let us know and we'll try and sort them out ASAP.

Moderator: Slitherine Core

MartiusR
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

[Suggestion] Game's activation & discounts policy

Post by MartiusR »

Hello Slitherine Team

I was observing for some time your offer, various discounts, activation policy and there are two things, which, in my opinion, would be much better after change.

First thing - discounts policy. I've noticed that it's much easier to buy your games in various discounts (sometimes very high, depending on the title and sale) as steam keys. Comparing to them, sales on your website are much more rare and rather with smaller discounts (there are some noble exceptions, like great discount on PanzerCorps series, which I unfortunately missed :( ). To be honest -I don't understand this policy, it's like you're considering that "stand-alone" version (which doesn't need steam, only cd-key) is more worthy and should be harder/more expensive to obtain. But why though? As far as I know, Steam is the most popular service amongst PC players, and lots of them (if not majority) are playing only in Steam games -why then discourage people, who wish to have (by any reason) your "stand-alone" versions of game, by rare and not too high discounts? Only because they're in "minority"? I always thought, that the best way to support any developer is to buy directly from him, without third-party involvement (which is always consuming money). I don't see this logic in your case.

Maybe this wouldn't be an issue, if... And there we go with second case.

Activation. I don't quite understand, why people who bought your game as steam key (no matter if directly on steam or in some third-party store), can't activate the game on their account. It's especially annoying, if someone would like to make upgrade to box version. If I've decided to buy some game from you as steam key (let's say because it was on some discount)... I need to buy it once more on your website. Which is even more surprising, because when someone is buying game directly on your website, he can also receive steam version of the game, without paying additional money. It's surprising, because I could understand, that distributing key to some third-party service (which is Steam, in this case) could be in some way additional cost for you (it's not always the case, for example GOG made once statement, that they'll provide developer as much GOG keys with his (developer's) game as he wish, so it's rather up to developer if he'll decide to provide buyers on their website also GOG key or not). But since you're providing also steam key for buyers on your website... Why can't it work in both ways?

I'm personally more interested in your "stand-alone" versions - I prefer games without any DRMs, but since you're not selling your games on GOG (or on other DRM-free service), I personally think that your "independent" format is much closer to my preferences (after all, I can play in your games only with installer & cd-key, no online-activation needed). I like even more the fact, that you're offering boxed version with those "stand-alone" versions (nowadays most boxed games are just steam installers, which is generally useless, because it still requires steam to work). And I strongly believe, that I'm not the only one who see it in this way. Could you please re-consider your policy of discounts and activation? I would gladly extend my library with additional games (so far I've bought four on your website, one as "steam-only" version). Sadly, I can't afford to buy all games from your offer which I'm interested in full price (partially due to the fact, that I'm living in region, where salaries are much lower than salaries in western Europe and in US/Canada), especially "boxed" versions (despite that fact, I've bought two games from your offer in full price, so I believe that it's proving that I'm not some "demanding-only" client and that I appreciate your effort, as well as effort of studios which are cooperating with you).
MartiusR
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Re: [Suggestion] Game's activation & discounts policy

Post by MartiusR »

Well, I'm guessing that description for this part of forum ("If you have any feedback on the web site or any problems let us know and we'll try and sort them out ASAP") by some reason is not occuring to me, due to the fact that up to this day I've received no response :?
pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by pipfromslitherine »

It is not really practical for us to convert Steam keys back to our site as we don't have full access to Steam's ownership info. We want to allow people to purchase from the storefront which best suits them, though we obviously prefer if you buy direct from us :)

Cheers

Pip
follow me on Twitter here
MartiusR
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by MartiusR »

pipfromslitherine wrote:It is not really practical for us to convert Steam keys back to our site as we don't have full access to Steam's ownership info. We want to allow people to purchase from the storefront which best suits them, though we obviously prefer if you buy direct from us :)

Cheers

Pip
All right, I totally understand that you're preferring if people are making purchases directly on slitherine's website. I would gladly do it!

But why then we've got so rarely discounts here (and even if they're present, it's about 10-20%, and only for 1-2 titles + DLCs)? Discounts on steam versions are often and bigger. You're not sending this kind of signal ("hey guys, it would be nice, if you could buy our games directly on our website"), if discounts on steam are not "countered" with comparable discounts on your website (both in terms of "how often" and "how much% off"). Even if not countered - then at least made as something "comparable". Quoting Jeff Vogel:
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/0 ... pessimism/

This is how indie games (well, all computer games) are sold these days: Full price for a couple months. Then ratchet the price down fast. First 50% off, then 75% off, then bundle pricing. It’s how we use every part of the buffalo. I believe that letting your game be in a bundle on the first day of release would be a colossal mistake, but not as big as never dropping the price at all.

I don't see this "logic of sales" in your case. And I regret that, because while I've bought so far four games on your website for full price, I feel that I don't have motivation to buy additional titles/DLCs to games which I already own, because you're not encouraging to do this.
IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil »

Well that's just not true. We almost never do a discount of 10-20%. Most discount are 25%-75% unless its a recent release.

I refer you to our Christmas sale last year...
http://www.matrixgames.com/amazon/winte ... 202016.pdf

If you want to get good deals you have to come back and check often! Also, the more games you buy the bigger your anniversary discount. It gets up to around 50% if I remember correctly.

Return to “Site Feedback”