Multiplayer scenarios by Cavehobbit

Download scenarios and talk about scenario design.
Moderators: Slitherine Core, BA Moderators

Moderators: Slitherine Core, BA Moderators

Gerry4321
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Re: Multiplayer scenario

Post by Gerry4321 »

Want to say thanks for the scenario. Played the Russians and enjoyed it very much. Nice map. Looking forward to other scenarios down the road.

I like it too as it is an Attack-Defend scenario. All the MPs in the Bagration operation I have met so far are Meeting Engagements.
cavehobbit
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier

Re: Multiplayer scenario

Post by cavehobbit »

Gerry wrote:Want to say thanks for the scenario. Played the Russians and enjoyed it very much. Nice map. Looking forward to other scenarios down the road.

I like it too as it is an Attack-Defend scenario. All the MPs in the Bagration operation I have met so far are Meeting Engagements.
Hi Gerry,
I'm glad you liked it :D
Wish I had more time working on my other scenarios. I got a couple I'm working on. And now I'm distracted by testing Pike&Shot… :wink:
cavehobbit

Re: Multiplayer scenarios by Cavehobbit

Post by cavehobbit »

New scenario, but it still needs more testing. See first post: http://slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... 66#p493966
mlazar
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by mlazar »

I just played Near Smolensk as the Russians - I gave up the North Village and set up entirely in the other village (and a bit to cover the river crossing at the bottom of the russian side. I won (just barely).
My opponent almost overran the South Village but my counter attacks and mortars saved the day - also he split his force to move to the other crossing. the (suprise to me) reinforcements that came in cover that area. Some of the also move up to the South village to lead my brutal counter attack. The Germans did capture the Ford, but they could not hold it and I won on the last turn by recapturing it.
mlazar

Post by mlazar »

Thank you for the work on this scenario
sormsby
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

LOS Issues

Post by sormsby »

I have played this scenario a couple of times now as the German side. I love the map, and the scenario is great. I have noticed a frustrating bug regarding units behind the village wall. As the attacking player, I cannot target squares inside the village that are behind a wall, unless there is a spotted enemy unit. Unless I am using indirect fire, I cannot area attack (as ASL would call it) buildings, graveyards or even open ground directly behind a wall, even if I am pretty sure that there is a hidden enemy unit there. This bug is really more of a game mechanic issue, but I haven't noticed it with other scenarios. Perhaps this is because your map has more walls than most..
I have had to overcome this handicap by rushing infantry or trucks at the edge of the village, hoping the defending units will fire and become spotted so my tanks and MGs can unload on them. This tactic, as you can imagine, is pretty costly to the Wermacht side.
cavehobbit

Post by cavehobbit »

Hi sormsby,

Thanks for playing my scenario and I'm glad you like it. :D
The problem with the walls, and hedges, as you point out is more of a game mechanic issue. Thing is the walls are not walls, but barricades, if you ask Slitherine. In this scenario I wanted to test them as walls. Wall objects in BA/BA2 are just decoration, nice to look at but have no effect on the game.
What I've added is the ability for engineers/sappers and some heavier tanks to ram a wall section making a gap in the wall.

So, for the moment there's not much to do about it. Maybe in the future someone may make a nice script that will allow units to attack a square behind a wall. What would be nice would be if units on high hills could see behind walls and hedges, but again, that's something for the future.
jcb989
Colonel - Fallschirmjäger
Colonel - Fallschirmjäger

Post by jcb989 »

I wish I knew my tanks could crash through those sooner =)
morge4

Post by morge4 »

jcb989 wrote:I wish I knew my tanks could crash through those sooner =)
Makes for tanks popping up everywhere! :twisted:
Richardg
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by Richardg »

I just played Sovkhoz79 from both sides. And while I like the map, the scenario itself is unwinnable for the Soviets: the Germans overrun them every time; there's no play balance at all. The tail end of the Soviet reinforcement convoy is always shot up by the Germans, who enter immediately after them, and there's no way for the folks in the village to hold out before the reinforcements come - not that those new troops would help anyhow. As it stands, I'd put this into one of those "let's give the newbies a side they can't lose with" sort of scenarios.

What I liked about it was that I had no idea where anyone was going to come from.

So: how to fix it? Some ideas might be to:
-random reinforcements for both sides - keep the odd directions they come from
-significantly increase the size of the Soviet forces

Still, thank you for making it!
cavehobbit

Post by cavehobbit »

Richardg wrote:I just played Sovkhoz79 from both sides. And while I like the map, the scenario itself is unwinnable for the Soviets: the Germans overrun them every time; there's no play balance at all. The tail end of the Soviet reinforcement convoy is always shot up by the Germans, who enter immediately after them, and there's no way for the folks in the village to hold out before the reinforcements come - not that those new troops would help anyhow. As it stands, I'd put this into one of those "let's give the newbies a side they can't lose with" sort of scenarios.

What I liked about it was that I had no idea where anyone was going to come from.

Hi Richardg,

Thanks for playing the scenario!
This scenarios has not yet been fully tested and there's still work to be done to find a good balance. I'm really grateful for your feedback and will have them in mind when updating the scenario. But I won't probably not use random reinforcements, too much work for me as I've never done that before. In earlier versions the size of the Soviet force was much larger and won too easy, therefore I decreased their number. Maybe too much... :?

It's true that the tail of the Soviet convoy always is shot up by the Germans, that's part of my plan as I want the Soviet player to have the feeling of being hunted :wink:

If you like to play a game once I've updated the scenario and help me test the new version I would be grateful.

Cheers,
P-A
glenghiscan
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by glenghiscan »

Just pasted your LST file to download and it's saying invalid character/ case sensitive ? Any ideas
cavehobbit

Post by cavehobbit »

glenghiscan wrote:Just pasted your LST file to download and it's saying invalid character/ case sensitive ? Any ideas
Just to be sure, are you copying the link, not the link text?
glenghiscan

Post by glenghiscan »

The first one ?
Richardg

Post by Richardg »

cavehobbit wrote:
Richardg wrote:I just played Sovkhoz79 from both sides. And while I like the map, the scenario itself is unwinnable for the Soviets: the Germans overrun them every time; there's no play balance at all. The tail end of the Soviet reinforcement convoy is always shot up by the Germans, who enter immediately after them, and there's no way for the folks in the village to hold out before the reinforcements come - not that those new troops would help anyhow. As it stands, I'd put this into one of those "let's give the newbies a side they can't lose with" sort of scenarios.

Hi Richardg,

This scenarios has not yet been fully tested and there's still work to be done to find a good balance. I'm really grateful for your feedback and will have them in mind when updating the scenario. But I won't probably not use random reinforcements, too much work for me as I've never done that before. In earlier versions the size of the Soviet force was much larger and won too easy, therefore I decreased their number. Maybe too much... :?

It's true that the tail of the Soviet convoy always is shot up by the Germans, that's part of my plan as I want the Soviet player to have the feeling of being hunted :wink:

If you like to play a game once I've updated the scenario and help me test the new version I would be grateful.

Cheers,
P-A

Sure!! Let me know - I think there's some good potential here.

R.
peterjfrigate

Post by peterjfrigate »

Hi folks - Have to strongly disagree, as I've won as the Soviets against many players over the past two weeks. I don't think there's anything wrong with this scenario. The German forces are strong on paper, but highly disorganized. If anything, it is harder for the Germans!

Richardg wrote:
cavehobbit wrote:

Hi Richardg,

Cheers,
P-A

Sure!! Let me know - I think there's some good potential here.

R.
glenghiscan

Post by glenghiscan »

Agree with pjfrigate only played it a few times and think it's easier for Russians ! Another class map from the master map maker
cavehobbit

Post by cavehobbit »

Thanks peterjfrigate and glenghiscan. I hope I will find some time to make some adjustment and release an updated version.
dickesKind

Post by dickesKind »

I seem to have problems downloading this scenario. BA2 tells me it downloads for a second but afterwards I can't find it in the MP-scenarios :(
cavehobbit

Post by cavehobbit »

dickesKind wrote:I seem to have problems downloading this scenario. BA2 tells me it downloads for a second but afterwards I can't find it in the MP-scenarios :(
That's strange. Just tried and it worked well. Remember it's important you copy the link, not the link text. If you keep having trouble, send me a PM and I'll help you.

Return to “Battle Academy 2: Scenario Design”