Making your Scenarios or Campaigns readily available

Moderators: rbodleyscott, Slitherine Core, Gothic Labs

rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Making your Scenarios or Campaigns readily available

Post by rbodleyscott »

If you use the method below, other users can download your scenarios/campaigns directly into the game without having to paste any files into the right directory.

The CPF file And the LST file, should both be placed in your chosen webspace......
Your link should be to the LST file, which is then linked to the CPF file.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To do this you will first need somewhere online to host your data. You can use any webspace, or many sharing and backup applications (like Dropbox as an example) allow you to get URLs which link to your files. Basically, if it is a URL you can use on the web, then you can use it to host your files.

There are then a number of steps you need to go through. First, any campaigns need to be packaged into a single .CPF file. This is done by first enabling debug mode (add the DEBUGMODE 1 line to your USER.TXT file), and then you will see a new Slitherine button when you choose Editor from the main menu. Simply select the campaign you wish to package and hit the button. The cursor will stop responding until the campaign has been packaged up. You can then find the CPF file in the same folder as the campaign.

You also need a .LST file containing details of your campaign, such as a short description and some other details. The format of this file is as follows
FILENAME <the name of this file>

[0]
NAME <CPF filename>
SHOWNAME <campaign name>
DESC <short description of the campaign>
MAKER <your username>
TYPE <0 for single player, 1 for multiplayer>
SIZE <in MB>
#URL <the full URL of the CPF file to download>

[1]

As you can see, you can have more than 1 chunk in the file, meaning you can use a single .LST file to add multiple campaigns to the download list. The FILENAME entry is optional, but if you include it then the game will cache the file and reload it each time, meaning you can permanently add the campaigns to your list. Note that redownloading a LST file with the same name will update the file, so be sure to use a unique filename for your LST file.

An example of a LST file is
FILENAME PIP_BETA.LST

Note that the file needs to be saved with the .LST file extension, not as PIP_BETA.LST.TXT
You can save a file with the .LST extension in Notepad using Save As by changing the drop list at the bottom of the Save window to "All files" instead of "Text Documents (*txt)" and type in the filename in the form MyFile.LST.

[0]
NAME BETA_Slith_MP_Random.CPF
SHOWNAME BETA Slitherine MP Random
DESC Two reworked maps where both side's forces are randomised from a set force pool at the start of the mission.
MAKER PipFromSlitherine
TYPE 1
SIZE 1
#URL https://dl.dropbox.com/s/t58tchzkh9v7mf ... m.CPF?dl=1

Dropbox specific note: the ?dl=1 addition to the Dropbox URL - this is necessary for a direct download of the file, otherwise the URL will take you to a page with a download link.

Pro tip! If you use a URL shortening service (such as bit.ly or tinyurl) to point to your LST file then it makes is easier for users to enter.

-------------------

Note that your "campaign" will also be available for Skirmishes unless you put the line

NOSKIRMISH

at the top of the Campaign.txt file.
Richard Bodley Scott

rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Re: Making your Scenarios or Campaigns readily available

Post by rbodleyscott »

Then to load a scenario that has been set up as above:

All you need to do is
1) Copy the link provided by the scenario/campaign creator. e.g. https://www.dropbox.com/s/l6ig5wv32w92r ... w.lst?dl=1
2) Pick "Historical" from the Main menu
3) Hit the "Download Community Scenarios" button - 3rd button from left at the top.
4) Hit the "Download a Campaign Package" from the Internet button (the one with 3 dots).
5) Paste in the link (using the Paste button), hit the ~Tick button, and it should briefly download.
5) Select 1st Newbury (or whatever the scenario/campaign is called) from the list
6) Hit the "Download the Selected Campaign" button (the one without dots). Wait for it to download.

Return to Historical and hey presto the new scenario/campaign should be in the menu to play. (And/or in Skirmishes)
Richard Bodley Scott

rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

If you have designed any scenarios that you deem ready for use, please let me try them (PM me). If they are OK I will put them up on the Slitherine FTP for easy download into the game (including on to iPad), thus avoiding all the above pallaver.
Richard Bodley Scott

edward77
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by edward77 »

Richard, Sorry to bother you with such simple questions but I cannot see my scenarios in the community single files. Does this mean they are not up to standard? If so how do I improve them? Alternatively do I need to put them into a dropbox link? As far as I can see (not very far it would seem) the only link to my scenarios is to the Wikipedia site. Where is the actual download link?
Paul59
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Post by Paul59 »

Scenarios are downloaded from within the game. From the Main Menu, click on "Historical", and then when the scenario page loads click on the "Download Community Scenarios" at the top of the screen. That will take you to a list of all the available user made scenarios, which you can filter by clicking on Single or Multi player. Just click on the scenario you want and it will be downloaded and installed directly into your copy of the game, ready to play. I have your scenarios, so it must be working.

Richard does not put any download links for any scenarios on this forum, only links to Wikipedia articles so that people can read about the history of the battle.
Field of Glory II Scenario Designer - Age of Belisarius, Rise of Persia, Wolves at the Gate and Swifter than Eagles.

Field of Glory II Medieval Scenario Designer.

FOGII TT Mod Creator

Warhammer 40,000: Sanctus Reach Tournament Scenario Designer.
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

edward77 wrote:Richard, Sorry to bother you with such simple questions but I cannot see my scenarios in the community single files. Does this mean they are not up to standard? If so how do I improve them? Alternatively do I need to put them into a dropbox link? As far as I can see (not very far it would seem) the only link to my scenarios is to the Wikipedia site. Where is the actual download link?
Paul59 wrote:Scenarios are downloaded from within the game. From the Main Menu, click on "Historical", and then when the scenario page loads click on the "Download Community Scenarios" at the top of the screen. That will take you to a list of all the available user made scenarios, which you can filter by clicking on Single or Multi player. Just click on the scenario you want and it will be downloaded and installed directly into your copy of the game, ready to play. I have your scenarios, so it must be working.
I am sorry, Edward, at first I thought that you were not aware of this, and replied to your previous post accordingly, but then I noticed that the wikipedia link was broken, so I thought that is what you were referring to and changed my reply.

Note that you won't see your scenarios in the download list unless you first remove them from \My Documents\My Games\PSCAMP or \My Documents\My Games\PIKEANDSHOT, as they won't appear in the download list if they are already in those locations on your machine.

I suggest moving them somewhere else rather than deleting them completely.
Richard Bodley Scott

edward77

Post by edward77 »

Ah, I see. I already have most of the Community single scenarios but could not puzzle out why I could not see mine. Same reason as the others Dumbo. Thanks to both of you

Return to “Scenario Design”