Stadtlohn 1623 (WiP) ... and some questions

Moderators: rbodleyscott, Slitherine Core, Gothic Labs

rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Re: Stadtlohn 1623 (WiP) ... and some questions

Post by rbodleyscott »

Adebar wrote:
rbodleyscott wrote:Check out the Muhlberg scenario. That adds on-map units turn by turn as reinforcements - but the idea is that they are just forming up, which gives an excuse for them not to be visible until they appear.
Yes, it's a cool idea for the Mühlberg scenario but for Stadtlohn I could need fixed units that are released at certain game turns. The intention is to force the player to fight the approaching enemy army with the avantgarde first (which is placed at the Landwehr) and get further units later when Christian 'reacts' to Tilly's moves. Don't know if that's possible.
As I say, only by using scripts. If you are interested I can tell you how.
Is it possible to add pop-up messages that appear at certain turns?
Using scripts yes. If you are interested I can tell you how.

Whether you could set them up in the Editor by making use of the reinforcements popups - by creating reinforcement groups with no units - I cannot say. I will leave you to experiment with that.
ATM I'm naming units by adding single units to the squads file. Works well with nice results but isn't there a number limitation?
Yes, but I think it is 1024. There was an arbitrary limit on the number of different unit types you can have on the player side (32) in a scenario, mainly to prevent the force selection screen from getting out of hand. However, this limitation was removed in one of the previous updates. The maximum number of units you can have in a scenario on each side is 64 (including limbers - so if you go to the limit, guns will be unable to limber). There is nothing to stop you having all 64 units specified separately in the squads file if you want, so you could name them all individually.
Richard Bodley Scott

Adebar
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by Adebar »

rbodleyscott wrote: Yes, but I think it is 1024. There was an arbitrary limit on the number of different unit types you can have on the player side (32) in a scenario, mainly to prevent the force selection screen from getting out of hand. However, this limitation was removed in one of the previous updates. The maximum number of units you can have in a scenario on each side is 64 (including limbers - so if you go to the limit, guns will be unable to limber). There is nothing to stop you having all 64 units specified separately in the squads file if you want, so you could name them all individually.
Nice! That should be more than enough.

And yes, could you please show me how to script the fixed/released units and pop-up messages? I'll try my luck.

IC XC
NI KA
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

Adebar wrote:
rbodleyscott wrote: Yes, but I think it is 1024. There was an arbitrary limit on the number of different unit types you can have on the player side (32) in a scenario, mainly to prevent the force selection screen from getting out of hand. However, this limitation was removed in one of the previous updates. The maximum number of units you can have in a scenario on each side is 64 (including limbers - so if you go to the limit, guns will be unable to limber). There is nothing to stop you having all 64 units specified separately in the squads file if you want, so you could name them all individually.
Nice! That should be more than enough.

And yes, could you please show me how to script the fixed/released units and pop-up messages? I'll try my luck.
Fixed/Released Units:

You need to assign the units that are going to be fixed (and those that aren't) to teams in the editor. For player (side0) units, this is done the same as for AI teams using the AI window, but you need to hold down the CTRL key and L-click on the units to set their team.

First of all you need a scenario script. You can make a copy of SCENARIOTEMPLATE.BSF from the main game directory, and put it in the /Scenarios folder in your campaign, then rename it the same as your scenario.

Put this code (or something like it) in StartTurnPost(side) in the scenario script:

Code: Select all

int i;
  int id;
  int team;
  int turn;
  // Note that local variable definitions have to be consecutive at the top of the function - so add these at the beginning of the function after the first bracket

// Add this lot at the end of the function before the last bracket
  turn = GetTurn();

if (side == 0)
    {  
      for (i = 0; i < GetUnitCount(0); i++) // Assuming it is side0 you want to restrict
        {
          id = GetUnitID(0,i);
          if (id != -1)
            {
              if (IsUnitValid(id) == 1)
                {
                  team = GetUnitTeam(id);
                  if (((team == 1) && (turn < 2)) || ((team == 4) && (turn < 4))) // This would keep side 0's team 1 inactive until turn 2 and team 4 inactive until turn 4. 
                                                                                  // Note that Side0 (player) turns are 0, 2, 4, 6 etc., Side1 (AI or 2nd player) turns are 1, 3, 5 etc.
                    {
                      SetCannotControl(id, 1);
                      SetAttrib(id, "AP", 0);
                    }
                }
            }
        }
     }
Richard Bodley Scott

rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

PopUp messages

For this I will just show you cavehobbit's masterful popup code, which gives each player a battlefield tour by moving the camera around the map to look at the place referred to in each message. You can see this in action by playing the first couple of turns of the MP Gniew scenario hotseat. Download the 2nd Swedish-Polish war campaign and then create an MP challenge for the Gniew scenario (which will appear in the New Challenge list after you have downloaded it), then accept the challenge yourself. The first time you do this you will get a warning, in case it was a mistake, but if you accept it anyway you can play both sides in the MP game hotseat.

FUNCTION StartTurn(side)
{

if (GetTurn() == 0)
	{
		if (GetShowSide() == GetCurrentSide())
		{
			AddVizCamCenter(21, 58) ;
			AddVizFunctionCall("ShowUIScreen","BattlePop0", "Anim1", "IDS_SCENARIO_GNIEW");
		}
		AddVizDelay(2);
		{
			AddVizCamCenter(53, 55) ;
			AddVizFunctionCall("ShowUIScreen","BattlePop0", "Anim1", "IDS_SCENARIO_GNIEW2");
		}
		AddVizDelay(2);
		{
			AddVizCamCenter(30, 20) ;
			AddVizFunctionCall("ShowUIScreen","BattlePop0", "Anim1", "IDS_SCENARIO_GNIEW3");
		}
		AddVizDelay(2);
	}

if (GetTurn() == 1)
	{
		{
			AddVizFunctionCall("ShowUIScreen","BattlePop0", "Anim1", "IDS_SCENARIO_GNIEW");
		}
		AddVizDelay(2);
		{
			AddVizCamCenter(24, 43) ;
			AddVizFunctionCall("ShowUIScreen","BattlePop0", "Anim1", "IDS_SCENARIO_GNIEW5");
		}
		AddVizDelay(2);
		{
			AddVizCamCenter(61, 47) ;
			AddVizCamCenter(59, 61) ;
			AddVizFunctionCall("ShowUIScreen","BattlePop0", "Anim1", "IDS_SCENARIO_GNIEW7");
		}
		AddVizDelay(2);
		{
			AddVizCamCenter(47, 60) ;
			AddVizFunctionCall("ShowUIScreen","BattlePop0", "Anim1", "IDS_SCENARIO_GNIEW8");
		}
		AddVizDelay(2);
		{
			AddVizCamCenter(23, 58) ;
			AddVizFunctionCall("ShowUIScreen","BattlePop0", "Anim1", "IDS_SCENARIO_GNIEW6");
		}
		AddVizDelay(2);
	}
The text1.txt entries that go with this are as follows:

IDS_SCENARIO_GNIEW_BP0TEXT,"Gniew, Poland, 1626~~This scenario depicts the Battle of Gniew which was fought from September 22 to October 1, 1626. But I've concentrated all fighting into a single battle.~~The battle was part of the Polish-Swedish war of 1626-1629. The town of Gniew was in Swedish hands, but had been besieged by the Poles. When Gustavus Adolphus heard of this he moved his army toward Gniew, a strategically important town for both Sweden and Poland.~~Deployment might not be entirely historical, instead I've deployed the forces in a way to make the battle fun and interesting.~~The battle begins with the Polish besieging the Swedish garrison of Gniew castle. The main Swedish army is arriving from the north, while the Poles are arriving from Northwest. The side winning this battle will be in control of Gniew...",
IDS_SCENARIO_GNIEW2_BP0TEXT,"Scouts report large enemy formations in this area.",
IDS_SCENARIO_GNIEW3_BP0TEXT,"There's a Swedish force joining from the south very soon.",
IDS_SCENARIO_GNIEW5_BP0TEXT,"The Swedish garrison in Gniew have a strong defensive position.",
IDS_SCENARIO_GNIEW6_BP0TEXT,"The Swedish army arrive in this area. But rumour tells there's another Swedish force arriving, from where no one knows...",
IDS_SCENARIO_GNIEW7_BP0TEXT,"When scouts reported that the Swedish army was moving toward Gniew, more Polish units began riding toward Gniew.",
IDS_SCENARIO_GNIEW8_BP0TEXT,"The main Polish army will soon arrive along this road.",

Note that to work correctly with the BattlePop0 popup UI, the tags in text1.txt have to have _BP0TEXT appended to the name used in the code. (That is a Zero not a capital O).

The "AddVizDelay(2)" commands after each popup are necessary to make the code show each popup in turn, rather than skipping to the last one.

The "if (GetShowSide() == GetCurrentSide())" condition stops the popup messages appearing to the other player during the turn replay in MP games.
Richard Bodley Scott

Adebar

Post by Adebar »

Thanks for the info, Richard. Will try to implement those scrips during the next days.

----

Small graphical mod: Bavarian tercios ...

... and musketeers.

IC XC
NI KA
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

Very nice
Richard Bodley Scott

Adebar

Post by Adebar »

Richard, I've implemented both scripts you gave me into the scenario's .BSF file and they are working as intended. I'm quite happy with the result because it offers some nice possibilities. I don't want to include too much stuff in this rather simple scenario but I think I'll need one or two weeks to flesh out everything.

IC XC
NI KA
Adebar

Post by Adebar »

A short progress report:

Work on the OOB finished; all units (except the light infantry) are named; map is finished; descriptions are done; further eye candy added.

To do:

Finishing touches on scripts and AI tuning; further playtesting, a Slot.dds for the baggage train.

----

Richard showed me a solution concerning the .png/.dds problem (see page 1): The transparency of the icon wasn't working correctly so it was showing a black square around the graphic - the icon didn't show up in the game. This was solved by saving it as a DTX3 (Explicit alpha) .dds in Paint.net.

IC XC
NI KA
nikdav
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Post by nikdav »

Fantastic scenario Adebar !

I had a project for the little battle of "ALTEN OYTHE 19 dec 1623" few months after Stadtlohn. :wink:

Have you some info on the Mansfeld cavalry engaged ( some 1000 horse)?

my OOB till now is :
4 IR (2000 men) Limbach IR(700) - Lawich IR(150) - Goldstein IR(500) - Mansfeld "red" IR(650)
+ 30cp (1000 horse) ??

For the catholic league
Blankhard IR (200 men)
Anholt , Erwitte , Salzburg (600 horse)
Adebar

Post by Adebar »

nikdav wrote:Fantastic scenario Adebar !
Thanks, but it's not finished yet. :wink:

From the design and playtesting I can say that it'll be a rather short and simple one, no fancy stuff: Try to delay the Catholic juggernaut as long as possible with your reargard and use your reserves carefully. Use the terrain to your advantage!

Regardless the result, the work on this scenario is very interesting and I learned a lot about the game system.

I had a project for the little battle of "ALTEN OYTHE 19 dec 1623" few months after Stadtlohn. :wink:

Have you some info on the Mansfeld cavalry engaged ( some 1000 horse)?
Interesting project but unfortunately not much sources available; but I found this:

http://digital.lb-oldenburg.de/ihd/cont ... iew/150798

If you can't read German or the Gothic type I could evaluate the text for you.

---

I could also try to get these books:

http://www.eurobuch.com/buch/isbn/9783873583641.html

http://www.amazon.de/Der-Graf-Mansfeld- ... 3923668384

IC XC
NI KA
Adebar

Post by Adebar »

Oh, I'm getting really confused about the "turns"; in the .BSF file the following is written:
Note that Side0 (player) turns are 0, 2, 4, 6 etc., Side1 (AI or 2nd player) turns are 1, 3, 5 etc.
So far, so good. So in the editor I set the reinforcements for two Catholic divisions on turns 3 and 5. On turn 6 the Protestant's army main body and cavalry should have been released.

In game: Turn 0 - Christian; Turn 1 - Tilly; Turn 2 - Christian, and so on. On turn 7 (!) the first Catholic reinforcements appear, and on turn 11 (!!) the second.

So is the reinforcement function broken or do I misunderstand the game's concept of "turns" wrong? Are perhaps two "action rounds" of both sides labelled as a "turn"?

----

Another problem: I wanted to implement a pop-up message at the turn in which the Protestant units are released. The pop-up appears, I click it away, then the camera moves to the designated place on the map, not like I managed to implement it at the beginning of the scenario, when the camera moves first and the pop-up appears after that.

I took the piece of code from the Mewe scenario and altered it:

}

if (GetTurn() == -1)
		{
			// Setup VPs, damaged tiled, ...
			PreBattleSetup();
		}
	else
		{

Log("\n**** Side, Start Turn", side, GetTurn());

}

if( GetTurn()==8)
		{

{
			AddVizFunctionCall("ShowUIScreen","BattlePop0", "Anim1", "IDS_SCENARIO_Stadtlohn4");
			AddVizCamCenter(31, 26) ;
		}
		AddVizDelay(2);

}
Maybe there's something missing or wrong? - I'm not sure about the first half a dozen lines, if they make sense at all. I'm scripting more like a sleepwalker and I'm kindly surprised when my botch job does work in the end. :wink:

IC XC
NI KA
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

Adebar wrote:Oh, I'm getting really confused about the "turns"; in the .BSF file the following is written:
Note that Side0 (player) turns are 0, 2, 4, 6 etc., Side1 (AI or 2nd player) turns are 1, 3, 5 etc.
So far, so good. So in the editor I set the reinforcements for two Catholic divisions on turns 3 and 5. On turn 6 the Protestant's army main body and cavalry should have been released.

In game: Turn 0 - Christian; Turn 1 - Tilly; Turn 2 - Christian, and so on. On turn 7 (!) the first Catholic reinforcements appear, and on turn 11 (!!) the second.

So is the reinforcement function broken or do I misunderstand the game's concept of "turns" wrong? Are perhaps two "action rounds" of both sides labelled as a "turn"?
I think what is happening is that the editor reinforcement wizard is automatically converting the actual player turns that you type in to the more arcane internal representation. However, it appears that (somewhat confusingly) for this purpose it numbers each player's actual turns 0,1,2,3,4 rather than 1,2,3,4,5. (This is presumably because of the programming paradigm of numbering sequences from 0 instead of 1).

So, if I have worked this out correctly the mapping from the reinforcements wizard to internal turns would be as follows:

Side0: 0 (0), 1 (2), 2 (4), 3 (6) etc,
Side1: 0 (1), 1 (3), 2 (5), 3 (7), 4 (9), 5 (11) etc

So if you want the Catholic reinforcements to appear on the Catholic side's 2nd and 3rd turn (as I think you do), put 1 and 2 in the editor, and the program will automatically convert these to the internal representation (3 and 5). Let me know if that does not work.

Think of the number you put in the reinforcements wizard as being the delay in terms of that side's own turns.

----
Another problem: I wanted to implement a pop-up message at the turn in which the Protestant units are released. The pop-up appears, I click it away, then the camera moves to the designated place on the map, not like I managed to implement it at the beginning of the scenario, when the camera moves first and the pop-up appears after that.

I took the piece of code from the Mewe scenario and altered it:

}

if (GetTurn() == -1)
		{
			// Setup VPs, damaged tiled, ...
			PreBattleSetup();
		}
	else
		{

Log("\n**** Side, Start Turn", side, GetTurn());

}

if( GetTurn()==8)
		{

{
			AddVizFunctionCall("ShowUIScreen","BattlePop0", "Anim1", "IDS_SCENARIO_Stadtlohn4");
			AddVizCamCenter(31, 26) ;
		}
		AddVizDelay(2);

}
Maybe there's something missing or wrong? - I'm not sure about the first half a dozen lines, if they make sense at all. I'm scripting more like a sleepwalker and I'm kindly surprised when my botch job does work in the end. :wink:
You have transposed the camera movement line to after the popup instead of before it. The program obeys!
Richard Bodley Scott

Adebar

Post by Adebar »

Ok, I've managed to fix the problem with the reinforcements by following your hints although I don't really understand your explanations. Especially the "more arcane internal representation" part is obscure to me, I do not get the logic behind that at all. But it works now and that's what counts.

Also the pop-up appearance/camera movement issue is fixed. :o

I had some troubles to make the message show up at the right turn. The Protestant army main body is released at turn 5, and I had to set the message to turn 6 in the .BSF file. When I set it to turn 5 it didn't show up at all, set to turn 4 it appeared one turn too early. The "internal turns" are quite confusing, particularly in this case when you have to set different turns in the same .BSF file for two functions which are meant to work on a same turn.

Amusingly, the message now pops up at the beginning of the last melee phase of turn 4. But I can live with that. Mystery is the spice of life. :wink:

IC XC
NI KA
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

Adebar wrote:I had some troubles to make the message show up at the right turn. The Protestant army main body is released at turn 5, and I had to set the message to turn 6 in the .BSF file. When I set it to turn 5 it didn't show up at all, set to turn 4 it appeared one turn too early. The "internal turns" are quite confusing, particularly in this case when you have to set different turns in the same .BSF file for two functions which are meant to work on a same turn.

Amusingly, the message now pops up at the beginning of the last melee phase of turn 4. But I can live with that. Mystery is the spice of life. :wink:
Assuming that the Protestant army is Side0, it makes no sense to release their troops on an odd numbered turn, because that is side1's turn. So you should release them on turn 4 (side0's third turn) and show the popup on turn 4, or release them on turn 6 (side0's 4th turn) and show the popup on turn 6.

I think you should have another try at getting your head round the internal turns. Although counter-intuitive, it is pretty simple: Side0 has turns 0,2,4,6 etc, side1 has 1,3,5,7. If you are scripting anything, these are the turns you must use - these are the turns that will be returned by GetTurn().

The Reinforcements Wizard does not use this system, because it is trying (unsuccessfully it seems) to make thinks less confusing for those who are not getting into scripting. However, it does not really succeed in this laudible aim because it starts the turn numbering from 0 for each side, whereas most people would expect it to start from 1. (As shown by the on screen UI).

Here is a chart of internal turns (with reinforcement wizard turns in brackets).

Side0: 0 (0), 2 (1), 4 (2), 6 (3), 8 (4), 10 (5) etc.
Side1: 1 (0), 3 (1), 5 (2), 7 (3), 9 (4), 11 (5) etc.

If you look at the snippet of code that the Reinforcement Wizard generate (hit the button at the bottom of the wizard to make it do so) you will see that it maps the turns put into the wizard to the internal turns as above. (I don't suggest using this code however, except to look at in order to understand this better).
Richard Bodley Scott

Adebar

Post by Adebar »

Finally got it! Playtested it just now, and it works. Don't know why I had all this difficulties; maybe I just sat on my brain. Or had too much of this yesterday:

(Otherwise very recommended!)

Set the release to (internal) turn 6 (side 0's turn 4) and the message to (internal) turn 6 (side 0's turn 4), quite simple thing to do ... Unfortunately we have no smilie for "facepalm" on this board ...

Thanks for your help and patience, Richard!

----

EDIT: Just out of interest - are the Target AI Points some kind of "waypoints" that can be placed on the map so that an AI group moves to that direction? When several TAPs are set, does the AI group try to reach one after another?

IC XC
NI KA
Adebar

Post by Adebar »

The scenario is finished! I'll do some more playtesting today but I think I can send the files to Richard this evening or tomorrow morning.

IC XC
NI KA
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

Adebar wrote:EDIT: Just out of interest - are the Target AI Points some kind of "waypoints" that can be placed on the map so that an AI group moves to that direction? When several TAPs are set, does the AI group try to reach one after another?
I could be wrong because I have not used that system, but I don't think this works automatically. You can set them to go to the first waypoint in the editor, but (unless I am mistaken) you would need to script them to make them switch to a new destination when they get there.

However, this can be done fairly easily using the SetTeamOrder() function as shown here:

http://www.slitherinebravo.net/GameWiki ... _older_hot

I must admit that by the time I was aware that this had been added to the engine, I had already started scripting the Pike and Shot scenarios, so I carried on using my own method and ignored the SetTeamOrder() method entirely. (Partly because I was not sure how good the engine would be at determining when the team has "got to" the waypoint, so I wanted to set my own conditions for switching to a new destination).

You could certainly try it.
Richard Bodley Scott

Adebar

Post by Adebar »

Thanks for the info, interesting. I could try it, but sometimes later, the scenario works well without such a function. Maybe I'll use it in a Höchst 1622 scenario ... :wink:

IC XC
NI KA
Adebar

Post by Adebar »

Sent Richard the files. :)

IC XC
NI KA
nikdav

Post by nikdav »

Adebar !
fantastic map, perfect setup and intro, i love the named units, i win 38 vs 62 thanks to knyphausen tercio
that hold on till the second line arrive and the battle ended even though all the liga strong old tercios
were still intact, (difficult level 3)( i must replay with the difficult level 5).
Great battle and fun ! :wink:

Return to “Scenario Design”