Unit quality

Moderators: rbodleyscott, Slitherine Core, Gothic Labs

HobbesACW
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Unit quality

Post by HobbesACW »

Hi folks, I started to make a map after choosing the extra nations campaign. I was hoping to make the map while learning more about other aspects of scenario design as I went along but I'm a bit worried in case I make the map and then find out there is something I want to do that I cannot. A small example - I only seem to be offered superior Kurassier units but I need some that are average or above average. Is it fairly easy to amend the quality of a unit by changing a value in a file? I'm reading up on the scenario design info but hoping for a quick answer so I can continue with the map if there are no major stumbling blocks.

Thanks,
Chris
HobbesACW

Re: Unit quality

Post by HobbesACW »

P.S. One other question. As a test if I pick a basic pike and shot unit for the Swedish side it has a melee value of 140. If I pick the same basic pike and shot unit for the pro-imperial side it has a melee value of 168. I would have expected them to be the same. Is this value also possible to change?

I'm not really asking how to make these changes - just if they are possible? If so I can work out how to do it later. I want to make sure I can go ahead with making the map without coming unstuck later on as the army list you choose and the map you make seem part of the same package (campaign).

Thanks,
Chris
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

HobbesACW wrote:Hi folks, I started to make a map after choosing the extra nations campaign. I was hoping to make the map while learning more about other aspects of scenario design as I went along but I'm a bit worried in case I make the map and then find out there is something I want to do that I cannot A small example - I only seem to be offered superior Kurassier units but I need some that are average or above average.
You can add additional variant kurassiers units in a modified copy of the squads.csv file in your custom campaign's main folder. Copy the existing kurassier line, change the unit name and id number, and alter the Experience and Elan values.

Then you need to add IDS_UNITNAME and IDS_UNITINFO tags with the new ID numbers, and their associated strings, in one of the textnn.txt files in your campaign's folder. (Note that these are UNICODE files so you can't just start a new .txt file in the normal way. If you want to start a new text file, copy one of the existing ones, change the number and clear out the old contents.)
Richard Bodley Scott

rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

P.S. One other question. As a test if I pick a basic pike and shot unit for the Swedish side it has a melee value of 140. If I pick the same basic pike and shot unit for the pro-imperial side it has a melee value of 168. I would have expected them to be the same. Is this value also possible to change?
Those values are not used by the game except in the UI as a general guide for players who have not yet fully understood the POA system. They are not used in the combat routines at all, in fact they are calculated from the combat routines. They take into account situational factors like the unit's strength, cohesion state, the terrain it is in etc. Hence units that started out the same won't necessarily display the same values.

What you actually need to alter are the values in the squads.csv file. (Although, as a tip, it is easier to alter them in the squads.xls file, which is formatted, and then save a copy in standard .csv format, which is the format actually used by the program).
Richard Bodley Scott

HobbesACW

Post by HobbesACW »

Thanks so much Richard. I see now that other scenarios have the squad file in the campaign folder. I'll carry on with the map and learn about the rest as I go on.
Really enjoying making the Jankau scenario. The last scenario I tried to make (for AGEOD AJE) took me three years and I unfortunately had to give it up for various reasons.
That was just editing a spreadsheet. It's so nice that this game has such a good map editor (even though it seems a little flaky on occasion).
I think this scenario will take a few weeks rather than a few years.
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (51.29 KiB) Viewed 3361 times
Cheers,
Chris
P.S. thanks to Adebar for the four seasons mod.
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

Nice screenshot.
Richard Bodley Scott

StuccoFresco
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

Post by StuccoFresco »