Works in progress

Moderators: rbodleyscott, Slitherine Core, Gothic Labs

Odenathus
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Re: Works in progress

Post by Odenathus »

Cheers, plus TOAW IV's just been released, I may just cancel Christmas and play straight on through.
HobbesACW

Post by HobbesACW »

Hi Folks, I completed the Battle of Jankau but then I lost interest in making another scenario. Not sure why. I quite enjoyed making the scenario. Maybe it's an age thing. Just thought I would post this in case anyone is thinking of making any of the other scenarios that I mentioned I wanted to make in this and another post. Please go ahead if anyone wants to make any other scenario I mentioned. I have bought the FoG II game - might make something for that eventually.

Cheers,
Chris
HobbesACW

Post by HobbesACW »

Here is the list from the other thread. I think quite a few of the Seven Years War have now been made.

1644: Battle of Freiburg
1645: Battle of Jankau
1645: Battle of Herbsthausen (Mergentheim)
1645: Battle of Allerheim (2nd Nördlingen)
1659: Battle of Konotop
1674: Battle of Sinsheim
1675: Battle of Fehrbellin
1675: Battle of Konzer Brücke (Consaarbrück)
1704: Battle of Schellenberg
1707: Battle of Almansa
1708: Battle of Lesnaya
1709: Battle of La Gudina
1710: Battle of Almenar
1710: Battle of Saragossa
1710: Battle of Villaviciosa
1715 Battle of Sheriffmuir
1741: Battle of Mollwitz
1742: Battle of Chotusitz
1743: Battle of Dettingen
1745: Battle of Hohenfriedberg
1745: Battle of Soor
1745: Battle of Kesselsdorf
1746: Battle of Rocoux
1747: The Battle of Lauffeld

Chris
Adebar
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by Adebar »

HobbesACW wrote:Hi Folks, I completed the Battle of Jankau but then I lost interest in making another scenario. Not sure why. I quite enjoyed making the scenario. Maybe it's an age thing.
I think I know what you mean. Interest in certain games - or gaming as a whole - comes and goes. My own P&S project, the battle of Höchst 1622, is in limbo for years now, I just cannot get myself motivated enough to finish the scenario. But who knows, under the influence of particular star constellations ... :wink:

Your Jankau scenario is very enjoyable BTW. Played it several times. Great map, very nice winter landscape, enough room for manoeuvres, I love that. Only thing I would change is the position of some of the Swedish artillery units. The AI is not good at all in moving artillery around the map, it was never intended to work that way in the first place. Concerning the fact that the Swedes' unusually mobile artillery was a crucial factor in this battle, it would help to move the guns more to the front line or let them "surprisingly" appear as reinforcements at edge of the forest vis-à-vis the Imperialists' positions. Perhaps add a heavy gun unit too, Hatzfeldt's men suffered really bad under the Swedish bombardment. Just some ideas.

IC XC
NI KA
HobbesACW

Post by HobbesACW »

Thanks Adebar. Originally I had planned to start the scenario at an earlier date with the Swedish forces further back but the AI couldn't cope with all the trees. I agree I could have done more with the Swedish artillery but I doubt I will change it now. At least I finished it. One scenario I worked on for AGEOD for three years and failed to finish :( At least I did complete three others.

Cheers,
Chris
Micha63
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier

Post by Micha63 »

HobbesACW wrote:Hi Folks, I completed the Battle of Jankau but then I lost interest in making another scenario. Not sure why. I quite enjoyed making the scenario. Maybe it's an age thing. Just thought I would post this in case anyone is thinking of making any of the other scenarios that I mentioned I wanted to make in this and another post. Please go ahead if anyone wants to make any other scenario I mentioned. I have bought the FoG II game - might make something for that eventually.

Cheers,
Chris
Making a Scenario for P AND S is a lot of work. I have tryd it and gave up very fast. Scenariomakers like Paul 59 did an outstanding Job.
Micha63

Post by Micha63 »

HobbesACW wrote:Here is the list from the other thread. I think quite a few of the Seven Years War have now been made.

1644: Battle of Freiburg
1645: Battle of Jankau
1645: Battle of Herbsthausen (Mergentheim)
1645: Battle of Allerheim (2nd Nördlingen)
1659: Battle of Konotop
1674: Battle of Sinsheim
1675: Battle of Fehrbellin
1675: Battle of Konzer Brücke (Consaarbrück)
1704: Battle of Schellenberg
1707: Battle of Almansa
1708: Battle of Lesnaya
1709: Battle of La Gudina
1710: Battle of Almenar
1710: Battle of Saragossa
1710: Battle of Villaviciosa
1715 Battle of Sheriffmuir
1741: Battle of Mollwitz
1742: Battle of Chotusitz
1743: Battle of Dettingen
1745: Battle of Hohenfriedberg
1745: Battle of Soor
1745: Battle of Kesselsdorf
1746: Battle of Rocoux
1747: The Battle of Lauffeld

Chris
If anyone is interested on more 7 years war Scenarios you can download them from my Website www.peoplesgeneral.de . But the graphic is very old , not nearly to compare with Pike and shoot. Ist very sad we will not see more 7 years war Scenarios for P and shoot.
Odenathus

Post by Odenathus »

I'm going to have a crack at Salamanca 1812, next. A lot of the units can be borrowed from Vitoria. Quite an interesting battle, I'll try for MP and SP both sides if it's practical.
Odenathus

Post by Odenathus »

Since Napoleonics seems reasonably popular, although the game isn't really designed for it, I'll try Borodino next. In fact it's in playtesting now, MP and SP (French) versions.
Odenathus

Post by Odenathus »

The Imperial Guard marches through the Grand Battery along the New Moscow Road to support Davout's assault on the Russian Guard Jaegers defending Borodino.
Attachments
Borodino.jpg
Borodino.jpg (1.34 MiB) Viewed 6224 times
Odenathus

Post by Odenathus »

2) Junot's Westphalians and Pontiowski's Poles assault the Bagration Fleches: the AI has thrown in the Moscow Opolchenye (miltia) in an effort to hold them.

3) Davout's corps has taken Borodino village and is facing off against the Raevski Redoubt, but now faces a counter-attack by Lavrov's Russian Guard infantry corps.
Attachments
Borodino3.jpg
Borodino3.jpg (1.33 MiB) Viewed 6204 times
Borodino2.jpg
Borodino2.jpg (1.31 MiB) Viewed 6204 times
Lancier
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by Lancier »

Odenathus, great battles indeed! Downloaded Waterloo,Borodino,Salamanca and Vitoria for MP. We need more Napoleonic battles really! Again, great stuff, thanks...(In the wargaming club (TWC) we started Waterloo & Borodino pbems)
GdD Colbert * TWC Co-founder & Admin

Odenathus

Post by Odenathus »

Cheers, nice to know they're appreciated: I'm working on Dresden, 1813, now, but I need to paint Austrian and Prussian (and perhaps Saxon) units.
Lancier

Post by Lancier »

Great news, looking forward to the new ones!..
Battle of Vitoria is started in the club as pbem too, map seems fabulous...

Lancier

Post by Lancier »

Is there a way to make infantry & cavalry being identified more easily? we are playing waterloo with a friend and we both wish we could more easily see our cavalry on the field?
Odenathus wrote:Cheers, nice to know they're appreciated: I'm working on Dresden, 1813, now, but I need to paint Austrian and Prussian (and perhaps Saxon) units.

Odenathus

Post by Odenathus »

Hi Lancier

One of the features of this engine (which I very much like) is that it's designed to give quite an 'antique print' look to the units. This works well for the period for which it was intended, i.e. Pike and Shot, where most infantry carry pikes. These have to be deleted for scenarios after c1700, and at the outer level zoom I can imagine that (from your helicopter) a line of green musketeers with a Russian flag might look very similar to a line of green heavy cavalry with a Russian flag.

I can't see any easy way round it, except to suggest that you use the outer level zoom to get a general overview of the field, then zoom in closer for the tactical combat, when I'm sure that the distinction between infantry and cavalry is more apparent.
Lancier

Post by Lancier »

Thanks Odenathus so seems we will have to live with that inf-cav view issue ^^

Played Borodino & Waterloo PBeM so far. Waterloo seems challenging and balanced? Tho French still has superiority?
...but cant say the same for Borodino, at least for now. Maybe have to play that scenario 1-2 more times. Just before Russians can gather or react French can pile on her right flank, around Utitza and get the % rout needed and win the game quick?
Playing Vitoria too now. It is quite balanced tho Allies seems to be beating (like in real life anyway lol) French can hold and balance the %routs to a degree. So found that scenario quite enjoyable in fact.
So it is all about start setup i guess? as long as setup doesnt let a faction to pile on a flank so quick & easily PnS scenarios may become balanced and fun?
Anyway just started Salamanca, it seems a nice one too like Waterloo ... also Gettysburg,Third day we are at the 1st turn now, we will see it as well...

I wonder if any objectives is possible with the PnS mechanics? cause when it is all about deaths and %routs, sides in scenarios will try to pile on a flank? like in Borodino?

Odenathus wrote:Hi Lancier

One of the features of this engine (which I very much like) is that it's designed to give quite an 'antique print' look to the units. This works well for the period for which it was intended, i.e. Pike and Shot, where most infantry carry pikes. These have to be deleted for scenarios after c1700, and at the outer level zoom I can imagine that (from your helicopter) a line of green musketeers with a Russian flag might look very similar to a line of green heavy cavalry with a Russian flag.

I can't see any easy way round it, except to suggest that you use the outer level zoom to get a general overview of the field, then zoom in closer for the tactical combat, when I'm sure that the distinction between infantry and cavalry is more apparent.

Odenathus

Post by Odenathus »

Hi again. We've had various (unresolved!) debates on this and other sites about what constitutes a 'historical' battle: once it diverges from what actually happened is it any longer the Battle of Naseby/Breitenfeld/Waterloo/ect? For me, allowing players a free deployment option, or too much leeway, for these famous battles probably means that they won't resemble the originals in any way, in which case you may as well set up a generic Later Parliamentarian vs Later Royalist random challenge, and call it the Battle of Naseby. Having said that, I agree that they ought to be fun to play and balanced, not with one side destined to win. We do playtest them before release. I've found (from both sides, although I'm not a very good player ) that it's quite possible for the Russians to win at the Borodino scenario. And the Allies can certainly win Waterloo. Re Borodino, several accounts that I've read suggest that Napoleon should have pushed harder again the weak Russian left. I know that you personally have a lot going on at the wargamers' club site but, if you've time, I'd be happy to play Borodino as the Russians to see whether I can give you a more even game. You can contact me on markterencedotstevensatntlworlddotcom if you're interested.

It is possible to set simple objectives in this engine, small flags that give automatic or end game victories if one side or the other holds them. But you'll get the same 'piling in' effect: both players will ignore the overall tactical situation and take horrendous casualties if they can just squeeze their last light cavalry unit onto the victory flag. The sort of thing I'm thinking of is setting a victory flag at the very centre of the Allied position at Waterloo, say Mont St Jean on the Brussels road. Rhetorical question but, If the French take it and have suffered crippling losses and the Allied wings are intact, with the Prussians coming on, is it a really a French victory? The flag would say that it is. (P&S designer do correct if I've misunderstood this.)

I do think the players' skill has a big part in who wins.

To cheer you up here are some shots of Dresden, still in development!

The French pour out of Dresden on the morning of 27th August
Austrian 2nd Reserve Division, with cavalry in support, rests its flank on the Grand Garden
The Young Guard faces off against the Prussians and Russians on the Coalition right flank
Attachments
Screen_00000002.jpg
Screen_00000002.jpg (1.35 MiB) Viewed 5909 times
Screen_00000001.jpg
Screen_00000001.jpg (1.19 MiB) Viewed 5909 times
Screen_00000000.jpg
Screen_00000000.jpg (1.38 MiB) Viewed 5909 times
Odenathus

Post by Odenathus »

A few more shots from the SP test for Dresden - you'll see from the casualties panel that some more tweaking is required in favour of the Coalition.

1.While Austrian infantry continue to defend the village of Lobtau, Murat's victorious cuirassiers sweep past.
2. Fierce fighting between French, Austrians and Prussians in and around the King of Saxony's Summer Palace in the grounds of the Grand Garden
3. Murat's cavalry are finishing off the Austrian cavalry on the French right wing
Attachments
Screen_00000002.jpg
Screen_00000002.jpg (1.38 MiB) Viewed 5848 times
Screen_00000001.jpg
Screen_00000001.jpg (1.39 MiB) Viewed 5848 times
Screen_00000000.jpg
Screen_00000000.jpg (1.17 MiB) Viewed 5848 times
Lancier

Post by Lancier »

Odenathus thanks for the info.

Played 5 of them so far, here is my preference list from most fun to least fun as a pbem.

Btw I just meant maybe if there would be many objective areas & towns on the map so all forces wouldnt pile on the same corner? Would program recognize them if flags or towns are captured or not?
And is it possible to have these maps + OoBs as free deployment option? Will we choose skirmish to have that?

Odenathus wrote:Hi again. We've had various (unresolved!) debates on this and other sites about what constitutes a 'historical' battle: once it diverges from what actually happened is it any longer the Battle of Naseby/Breitenfeld/Waterloo/ect? For me, allowing players a free deployment option, or too much leeway, for these famous battles probably means that they won't resemble the originals in any way, in which case you may as well set up a generic Later Parliamentarian vs Later Royalist random challenge, and call it the Battle of Naseby. Having said that, I agree that they ought to be fun to play and balanced, not with one side destined to win. We do playtest them before release. I've found (from both sides, although I'm not a very good player ) that it's quite possible for the Russians to win at the Borodino scenario. And the Allies can certainly win Waterloo. Re Borodino, several accounts that I've read suggest that Napoleon should have pushed harder again the weak Russian left. I know that you personally have a lot going on at the wargamers' club site but, if you've time, I'd be happy to play Borodino as the Russians to see whether I can give you a more even game. You can contact me on markterencedotstevensatntlworlddotcom if you're interested.

It is possible to set simple objectives in this engine, small flags that give automatic or end game victories if one side or the other holds them. But you'll get the same 'piling in' effect: both players will ignore the overall tactical situation and take horrendous casualties if they can just squeeze their last light cavalry unit onto the victory flag. The sort of thing I'm thinking of is setting a victory flag at the very centre of the Allied position at Waterloo, say Mont St Jean on the Brussels road. Rhetorical question but, If the French take it and have suffered crippling losses and the Allied wings are intact, with the Prussians coming on, is it a really a French victory? The flag would say that it is. (P&S designer do correct if I've misunderstood this.)

Return to “Scenario Design”