Jena- Auerstadt 1806

Moderators: rbodleyscott, Slitherine Core, Gothic Labs

edward77
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Jena- Auerstadt 1806

Post by edward77 »

I have just sent Richard two new Napoleonic scenarios, the battles of Jena 1806 V2 and Auerstadt 1806.
We have seen tremendous development in P & S of mods, scenarios and colours for the Napoleonic period. In particular many of the larger scenarios have been done, Waterloo, Borodino, Friedland, Austerlitz, Elau etc, but strangely no attempt at creating Jena-Auerstadt, either together or seperately. Having created scenarios for both of these I now know why.
For the composite battle it is very difficult to create a large map to encompass the two battles some 15 miles apart particularly as the two battles are at different scales. Auerstadt can be done at a quasi battalion level (9-12 units/Div) whereas Jena is closer to regiment level (4 unis/Div).
The battles also are opposites and lob sided. Jena is 90k+ French to 35K Prussian. Auerstadt 26k French to 63k Prussian. As they stand Jena is very easy French victory due to the superior power and numbers whereas at first glance nobody can really explain, bar incompetence, how the Prussians managed to lose at Auerstadt. One of the reasons for the heavy Prussian defeats (There were many!) was that in both battles the Prussian Reserve Corps either arrived too late (Jena) or was never commited (Auerstadt). In both my scenarios in a What If? mode they are commited. For Jena this makes it much easier, or rather less difficult to balance the scenario. I had hoped to couple this with the difficulty in climbing up the rough ground of the Landgrafenburg (500 feet above Jena) but the Rough Ground tiles plus Dead Ground overlay did not make much difference, although the consequent traffic congestion did. Even so it has to be played at level five. For Auerstadt the rough ground also did not really work so I was left to bolstering up the French defences in Hessenhausen with low walls. At least level four.
Hope you enjoy them. Constructive criticism very welcome.

Return to “Scenario Design”