Main Menu Screen

Moderators: rbodleyscott, Slitherine Core, Gothic Labs

Philippeatbay
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Main Menu Screen

Post by Philippeatbay »

What is the path to the first screen that you see when you fire up the game?

I haven't yet managed to find it, though until now I haven't need to.

I'm in the later stages of putting together a music mod for Le Roi Soleil.

Since the expansion didn't come with any scenarios, I have to either make a global change of all the music, or change the music scenario by scenario.

When I eventually put together a Turkish side siege of Vienna mod, I plan on a one scenario only approach.

But for all the other late 17th century scenarios a global music pack makes more sense.

What I'm thinking of is adding a visual cue to the fact that you have a mod installed, and including the regular music mod and main menu screen so you can easily make the switch back to the earlier look and music.
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Re: Main Menu Screen

Post by rbodleyscott »

Philippe_at_bay wrote:What is the path to the first screen that you see when you fire up the game?
\Core\UI\MainMenuOverlay.txt

&

\Core\UI\MainMenuOverlay.bsf

See also:

https://sites.google.com/site/battleaca ... umentation
https://sites.google.com/site/battleaca ... -scripting
Richard Bodley Scott

Philippeatbay

Post by Philippeatbay »

Many thanks !
Philippeatbay

Post by Philippeatbay »

I've never worked with bsf files before.

I have an ancient version of Photoshop, and I'm not sure if it can be re-configured to handle them.

What programs are people using to work with them?
Paul59
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Post by Paul59 »

Hi Philippe,

The .bsf files are not graphical files. They contain programming information and can be edited with a text editor, such as WordPad.

Unfortunately I have never modded the MainMenuOverlay.bsf file and do not know how it works.
Field of Glory II Scenario Designer - Age of Belisarius, Rise of Persia, Wolves at the Gate and Swifter than Eagles.

Field of Glory II Medieval Scenario Designer.

FOGII TT Mod Creator

Warhammer 40,000: Sanctus Reach Tournament Scenario Designer.
Philippeatbay

Post by Philippeatbay »

Then I guess I'm back to square one.

I want to (temporarily) replace the the first backdrop image of cavalrymen charging pikemen with a picture of Louis XIV.

Should I be looking for a DDS file, where do I find it, and what is the name of that particular file?

I may not have asked the question clearly enough in the first place.

[update: I've found a DDS file (background.dds) in Data/UI/Textures that looks like it's the one I want].
pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by pipfromslitherine »

You can either overwrite the texture, or change the .txt file to point to a new one.

Cheers

Pip
follow me on Twitter here
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

pipfromslitherine wrote:You can either overwrite the texture, or change the .txt file to point to a new one.

Cheers

Pip
Either way, make a backup of the original version first.
Richard Bodley Scott

Adebar
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by Adebar »

Philippe_at_bay wrote:[update: I've found a DDS file (background.dds) in Data/UI/Textures that looks like it's the one I want].
That's correct.

For scenario selection screen etc. there's Background_Fade.dds. Parts of this image must to be toned down/darkened for the sake of readability of the UI texts. You can use the picture below as a guideline to make it fit to the other UI elements:

Notice that the original unscaled images were 1680x1050 scaled down to 1024x1024 (to prevent distortions).

Almost all UI components are moddable, which is very cool. ATM my main screen looks like this:

IC XC
NI KA
Philippeatbay

Post by Philippeatbay »

Your screen looks great, and so does the fraktur.

I had already made the darker screen when I noticed your post. When playing a user-made scenario, the darkened screen will probably revert to the original, but I don't think there's much that can be done about that.

My screen is really nothing more than a visual cue that the Roi Soleil music mod has been installed, and is hardly as dramatic as yours.

Adebar

Post by Adebar »

That looks nice!
Philippe_at_bay wrote: I had already made the darker screen when I noticed your post. When playing a user-made scenario, the darkened screen will probably revert to the original, but I don't think there's much that can be done about that.
When you go to Documents/My Games/PSCAMP/CAMPAIGNS/ to any of the custom scenario folders you can find Backdrop.dds which in most cases is identical to Background_Fade.dds (except the scenario maker modded it).

Just in case you want to create a custom scenario yourself: You can pass Backdrop.dds if you make Icon.dds in 1024x1024 format instead.

IC XC
NI KA

Return to “Modders Corner”