Moderators: rbodleyscott, Slitherine Core, Gothic Labs

Cronos09
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

General Mod

Post by Cronos09 »

Generals in P&S campaigns:

Generals have been added in:
1) campaigns - English Civil War (historical names for each side), Gustav Adolf (historical names of C-inCs at the beginning of the campaign) and the Great Turkish War,
2) skirmish module - English Civil War (historical names for each side).
The icon of the general is original for each fraction. The scripts are taken from SJ without duels. From FoG2 I added the ability to switch command at the deployment stage. I also added a mod for limited ammunition of shooters (viewtopic.php?f=322&t=87896). In Gustav Adolf and the Great Turkish War campaigns (in the latter the unit level has been changed from regimental to battalion) I increased the economic and human resources of the provinces twice for larger battles.

Download:
English Civil War campaign https://drive.google.com/open?id=1rJt9i ... 1J3JoY6fPp
Gustav Adolf campaign https://drive.google.com/open?id=1rK3-8 ... 0Q7fAZJUwm
Great Turkish War campaign https://drive.google.com/open?id=1yK7ts ... oYYBGbuZJO
English Civil War skirmish module https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Umypd ... cGDKPWRbuU

Installation:
The archives should be unzipped at ...\Documents\My Games\PSCAMP\CAMPAIGNS\. The corresponding modules will appear in the sections of Campaigns and Skirmish with the addition of "... with generals".
Last edited by Cronos09 on Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheGrayMouser
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Re: General Mod

Post by TheGrayMouser »

Wow, can’t wait to try this out!
Cronos09

Post by Cronos09 »

The multiplayer versions of ECW and Le Roi Soleil (without minor sides - Jacobite Irish and Scots and Hungarian rebellion) modules adapted for this mod:

English Civil War https://drive.google.com/open?id=1oawW3 ... S8NGAnu80u
Le Roi Soleil https://drive.google.com/open?id=1qb-I1 ... ZwUEmQN1yc

Installation: download all the folders MPEnglishCivilWar_Gen, MPLeRoiSoleil_Gen and place them at ...\Documents\My Games\PSCAMP\MULTIPLAYER\. After this you can set up challenges from these modules and accept them. When creating a skirmish, additional modules will appear in the list: English Civil War with generals and Le Roi Soleil with generals.
Thanks to Ahuyton for his help in testing these modules.
Attention. The cavalry (Cavalry and Horse types without lancers, impact pistols and with experience less than 200 - below Superior) can evade enemy charges in these modules.
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

Hi Cronos,

It has come to light, from testing someone else's mod of your mod, that there is a bug in the Generals Mod version of CampaignTools.BSF, on line 1323.

This should read

DetachExcessUnits(ret);

but has been changed to

DetachExcessUnits(army);

which stops DetachExcessUnits() from working properly.
Richard Bodley Scott

Cronos09

Post by Cronos09 »

Hi!

Thank you for this note. Corrected versions of the campaigns:

English Civil War campaign https://drive.google.com/open?id=1rJt9i ... 1J3JoY6fPp
Gustav Adolf campaign https://drive.google.com/open?id=1rK3-8 ... 0Q7fAZJUwm
Great Turkish War campaign https://drive.google.com/open?id=1yK7ts ... oYYBGbuZJO
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

It would probably be worth updating the links in the earlier posts, to avoid confusion.
Richard Bodley Scott

rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

Regarding the ammunition rules in this mod, I have been asked to repost my PM answer to lt1956_slith on the subject:
It is not something we had in the tabletop rules - it wasn't considered necessary. Running out of ammunition in the middle of a battle does not seem to have been a major problem in this era, although there are many cases of an army withdrawing rather than fighting for a second day because they did not have enough powder/ammunition for another day's fighting. OTOH It has worked OK in FOG, so why not? Only testing will tell whether it improves the game.

One issue that will perhaps be annoying is that troops will automatically shoot in the residual shooting phase (which does not exist in FOG2) or as reaction shooting. It isn't currently possible to order them to hold their fire. So really if one wants to mod ammunition rules into P&S then one should also add a "Hold Fire" order. (It is perfectly possible to mod in new orders. See Unit Ability Functions in http://www.slitherinebravo.net/GameWiki ... tub_engine)
Richard Bodley Scott

Cronos09

Post by Cronos09 »

rbodleyscott wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:16 am It would probably be worth updating the links in the earlier posts, to avoid confusion.
Done.
rbodleyscott wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:32 am Regarding the ammunition rules in this mod, I have been asked to repost my PM answer to lt1956_slith on the subject...
Why? If someone has questions (or suggestions) about the mod he can ask me himself.
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

Cronos09 wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:55 pm Why? If someone has questions (or suggestions) about the mod he can ask me himself.
I guess because it was my answer to his query re my views on the addition of ammunition rules to Pike and Shot.
Richard Bodley Scott

Athos1660
Major-General - Elite Tiger I

Post by Athos1660 »

Tonight I finally could install and start using this promising mod.
Awesome work !
P&S with Generals and historical names! Very nice :-)
@Cronos09, thank you so much for those amazing mods!
Athos1660

Post by Athos1660 »

Just a question about artillery.
In FoG2, Generals cannot move to join an artillery.
If I ain’t mistaken, the same is true in this mod for P&S.
Generals provide 50 additional impact/Melee PoA.

Couldn’t Generals join Artillery in P&S and give them say an advantage in terms of shooting range making 'short range' longer, etc. and/or enemy loss modifier and/or enfilade and/or morale… ? Is it moddable ?

Or would it make artillery too strong for this timeframe (16-17th centuries) ? Maybe making artillery Generals available only for the late period, ie the second half of the 17th century (from c. 1660 on) ? Or is it once again too soon ?

However, this is a great Mod :-)
Cronos09

Post by Cronos09 »

Thank you. I am pleased to hear these words.
Generals cannot join artillery units in the present version of the mod. But it's not difficult to do it. There are two script blocks in Move_General.BSF (.../Data/Battle/Scripts/) in FUNCTION CHECK_ALL_MOVE_GENERAL(me, tilex, tiley) and in FUNCTION DEPLOYCHECK_ALL_MOVE_GENERAL(me, tilex, tiley). They could be commented like this:

Code: Select all

//if ((IsArtillery(unit) == 0) && (IsLimber(unit) == 0)) // General cannot join artillery - there may be other exceptions e.g. scythed chariots
//		{
//		}
Only six strings in two functions and do not touch the text between the braces. And there are other five strings in FUNCTION UISETUP_ALL_MOVE_GENERAL(me, tilex, tiley):

//			if ((IsArtillery(unit) == 1) || (IsLimber(unit) == 1))
//				{
//					PrintStringLiteral("\n");
//					PrintString("IDS_TT_GENERAL_CANT_JOIN_ARTILLERY");
//				}
After this Generals must join artillery units.
And you can script various bonuses for them. The only main thing is to compose the script properly. E.g. I don't like the bonus of providing +50 PoA to a General unit. I think to replace it with a bonus + 50 Elan for all units within a radius of 2 hexes/tiles from any General unit. I already know how to do this.
Artillery became more powerful every century. The present artillery power in the game is enough for me.
Athos1660

Post by Athos1660 »

Cronos09 wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:06 pm Thank you. I am pleased to hear these words.
Generals cannot join artillery units in the present version of the mod. But it's not difficult to do it. There are two script blocks in Move_General.BSF (.../Data/Battle/Scripts/) in FUNCTION CHECK_ALL_MOVE_GENERAL(me, tilex, tiley) and in FUNCTION DEPLOYCHECK_ALL_MOVE_GENERAL(me, tilex, tiley). They could be commented like this:

//if ((IsArtillery(unit) == 0) && (IsLimber(unit) == 0)) // General cannot join artillery - there may be other exceptions e.g. scythed chariots
//		{
//		}
Only six strings in two functions and do not touch the text between the braces. And there are other five strings in FUNCTION UISETUP_ALL_MOVE_GENERAL(me, tilex, tiley):

//			if ((IsArtillery(unit) == 1) || (IsLimber(unit) == 1))
//				{
//					PrintStringLiteral("\n");
//					PrintString("IDS_TT_GENERAL_CANT_JOIN_ARTILLERY");
//				}
After this Generals must join artillery units.
Thx for this quick reply and the info :-)
Cronos09 wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:06 pm And you can script various bonuses for them. The only main thing is to compose the script properly.
Artillery became more powerful every century. The present artillery power in the game is enough for me.
May I anyway collect stats/bonus about arty, think it over and post my ideas of stat modifications ? That'd be opened to discussion of course. A skilled arty general could make his troop a bit more deadly and a bit more effective (faster gun reloading, better shooting accuracy, better coordination...) making e. g. 'short range' a bit longer or more enemy losses, couldn't he ?

One compromise could be to make plain arty less effective than the currently in-game arty and Arty with Generals a bit more effective.

The presence of a general in the Arty could also enable the use of (one?) devastating canister shot(s) at very short range. Canister shot was used in the 17th century. However, I don't know its effectiveness in the timeframe (someone on the forum may know that) and whether it is moddable (you know that).
Cronos09 wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:06 pm I don't like the bonus of providing +50 PoA to a General unit. I think to replace it with a bonus + 50 Elan for all units within a radius of 2 hexes/tiles from any General unit. I already know how to do this.
What does 'Elan' stand for ? Does it have something to do with the French "Élan' meaning in English run-up, impetus (of a charge, etc.),? What kind of bonus would +50 Elan give to the nearby units ? Is it increasing the distance and thus the strength of the charge of the nearby units ?

Impact/melee PoA for a Cavalry with a General seemed to me quite logical, expressing the fact such a unit would feel more confident and vigorous which is necessary during a (frightening) charge : "If you lose your ensigns, cornets or flags, do never lose sight of my panache; you will always find it on the road to honour and victory (Henry IV, battle of Ivry)". But I guess I'm wrong. :-)

btw I often play small custom battles in Le Roi Soleil period and there are a fixed number of 4 generals whatever the size of the army ; in small battles, that is 11/16 units. That's a lot of Generals. Is it possible/easy to set the number of Generals of an army depending of the size of the army or to manually reduce it ? I know I'm asking too much as it was a multi feature. 4 is good anyway. :-)

Thx for everything.
Cronos09

Post by Cronos09 »

Bonjour, Athos1660!

Do you convert the MP Le Roi Soleil module with generals into a single one? In any case here's my version of Le Roi Soleil with generals for skirmish batlles against AI (without minor sides - Jacobite Irish and Scots and Hungarian rebellion):
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1EkMHE ... rn-kWzdxmZ
Installation:
The archives should be unzipped at ...\Documents\My Games\PSCAMP\CAMPAIGNS\. After this you will see "Le Roi Soleil with generals" in the Skirmish section. In it you can change the number of turns for ammo in Shooting.BSF (...\10LeRoiSoleil_Gen\Data\Battle\Scripts\...):
161 SetGlobal("FS", 9); for Foot units
180 SetGlobal("MS", 4); for Mounted units
198 SetGlobal("MlS", 7); for light Horse units

The features I can change for an artillery unit after moving a General to it (You will decide yourself what you wish use in the mod. And I will try to make it for your version):
1) increased artillery fire range
2) increased PoA of fire rating against infantry and cavalry units
3) shooting and limber/unlimber the artillery unit during one turn
4) increased an experience and elan of the arty unit (I wrote about it in my previous post. I mean under 'increased Elan' inspiring units in the presence of generals. +50 Elan makes an 'Average' unit 'Above Average')

Heavy and medium artillery is now formed in a separate command and only C-in-C general can be moved to it. I think it can be changed. Light artillery goes with the infantry command.
About the number of generals in Mediun and Small battles - I am not sure I can change it at once. In addition, three generals can be generated in such battles, not only four.
BTW I have the editor with the possibility of adding generals to historical and user-made battles. It works from the main game directory, so I do not put it for public use.
Athos1660

Post by Athos1660 »

Cronos09 wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:40 am Bonjour, Athos1660!
Bonjour, Cronos09 :-)
Cronos09 wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:40 am Do you convert the MP Le Roi Soleil module with generals into a single one?
Shame on me. I simply copied the MP Le Roi Soleil to ...\Documents\My Games\PSCAMP\CAMPAIGNS\
Cronos09 wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:40 am In any case here's my version of Le Roi Soleil with generals for skirmish batlles against AI (without minor sides - Jacobite Irish and Scots and Hungarian rebellion):
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1EkMHE ... rn-kWzdxmZ
Installation:
The archives should be unzipped at ...\Documents\My Games\PSCAMP\CAMPAIGNS\. After this you will see "Le Roi Soleil with generals" in the Skirmish section. In it you can change the number of turns for ammo in Shooting.BSF (...\10LeRoiSoleil_Gen\Data\Battle\Scripts\...):
161 SetGlobal("FS", 9); for Foot units
180 SetGlobal("MS", 4); for Mounted units
198 SetGlobal("MlS", 7); for light Horse units
Thank you so much!!! I will install and setup this version :-)
Cronos09 wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:40 am You will decide yourself what you wish use in the mod. And I will try to make it for your version.
Really ??? Oh thanks, that’s very nice of you !!!!! :-)
Cronos09 wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:40 am The features I can change for an artillery unit after moving a General to it (You will decide yourself what you wish use in the mod. And I will try to make it for your version):
1) increased artillery fire range
2) increased PoA of fire rating against infantry and cavalry units
3) shooting and limber/unlimber the artillery unit during one turn
4) increased an experience and elan of the arty unit (I wrote about it in my previous post. I mean under 'increased Elan' inspiring units in the presence of generals. +50 Elan makes an 'Average' unit 'Above Average')
The more I think about it (now that I read a bit about Exp and Elan), the more I like your idea of increasing Experience and Elan of nearby units, for artillery and for cavalry and infantry as well, as you mentioned it in a previous post.
  • Increasing artillery fire range ? I think in-game ranges are long enough. Moreover, I guess ranges are firstly a matter of technology.
  • Shooting and limber/unlimber the artillery unit during one turn ? No !
  • Increasing PoA of fire rating against infantry and cavalry units ? This one makes sense, a bit.
Does this Exp./Elan increase also apply to the unit in which the General is ?

PS : Couldn't Generals have an impact on Cohesion Test, turning a nearby disrupted unit into a steady one, a fragmented one into disrupted one, etc. ? Or is it the case (in the current General mod or with the considered Exp/Elan modifications) ?
Cronos09 wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:40 am Heavy and medium artillery is now formed in a separate command and only C-in-C general can be moved to it. I think it can be changed.
If it is possible… :-)
Cronos09 wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:40 am Light artillery goes with the infantry command.
Sounds logical.

Nota :

1) Just an idea unrelated to the General Mod. What do you think of creating a second range for Light Artillery like this :
  • Short range (canister) : 3, with an increased PoA of fire rating against infantry and cavalry units
  • Long range : 6
I know canister shots could certainly work at range 6 (with 1 tile = 60x 60 paces = 45x 45 m) but isn't it a way to add them ? I must admit I'm not totally satisfied with this idea :-)

2) I know the name of a French ‘Artillery General’ during Louis XIV’s reign. I guess It may help for your mods.

His name is Pierre Claude Berbier du Mets (or 'Metz') (1638-1690) :
- 'Grand maître de l’artillerie' since 1646 (?)
- Cavalryman in 1654
- Then ‘Commissaire d’artillerie’, ie. leader of an artillery battery
- Participated in the war of Devolution (sieges of Tournai, Douai and Lille)
- 'Lieutenant-général de l’artillerie’ since 1668
- Franco-Dutch war : he leaded the artillery during the main sieges
- ‘Maréchal de camp’ since 1676
- 'Lieutenant général des armées du Roi'
- Nine years’ War : killed during the battle of Fleurus (1690)

His name is mentioned in reliable source such as this one (in French).

The injury to the left side of his face was caused by a cannon ball.

(edit)
I've just played Small battles and very small ones with your version of Le Roi Soleil with generals for skirmish battles against AI. Perfect! Sometimes 2, 3 or 4 Generals. Nice variation. Thx for this version :-)

(edit 2)
I modified Move_General.BSF with // and now Generals can join artillery units :-)
Ubberdorc
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Ubberdorc »

I played around with the skirmish mode and it is pretty cool!
I have a couple of questions:
1. Some units had black directional arrows - what does that signify?
2. Is it possible to control which units get a general in the scenario editor?
3. Do commander abilities "stack" meaning if a Major general and a Sub generals control radius overlap over a unit does it get both bonuses?
Cronos09

Post by Cronos09 »

Thanks. The campaigns with generals are not bad either. And we could play some MP matches of Le Roi Soleil and ECW with generals :)
1. Units have the black arrows when they are out of command range (white ones - when in command range).
2. Placement of generals in the editor has the meaning for historical and user-made battles. As I wrote above I have the editor with the possibility of adding generals to such battles. It works from the main game directory, so I do not put it for the public use. For skirmish battles generals are placed by the scripts.
3. As I know the bonuses of two or more generals do not summarize for an unit.
Athos1660

Post by Athos1660 »

In some historical battle reports I read, it is said that during those battles, after an enemy artillery battery was successfully charged at, the cannons (at least those still in good condition) were taken and used against the enemy.

In game, when a battery unit is charged and 'die', the guns and the men are dispersed. The cannons disappear.

What if modding (if possible) the artillery switching sides when taken ?
Ideally the charging unit should loose some men who would become kind of artillerymen (in order not to increase the total number of men of one side during the battle) and the artillery could be less powerful than at the start of the game (as some guns might have been destroyed).

Is it a bad idea from a gameplay point of view or an useless feature ?
If not (and most importantly, if it is actually moddable), I think it could be a nice addition to your wonderful General mod, @Cronos09. It could force ppl to be more protective of their own artillery (with an Infantry or cavalry unit remaining nearby, for example). At least it would make them have to do an additional choice on the battlefield.

PS : I guess IRL there was a lag between taking the enemy battery and using it (waiting for artillerymen to arrive). Could it be modded like limber/unlimber (you have to wait for one turn to be able to use it) ?
Cronos09

Post by Cronos09 »

@Athos1660, it’s a good and realistic idea, but I don’t see the possibility of its implementation in the game yet. As far as I know, there is no direct path for its implementation, and one must think about indirect ones.
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

Cronos09 wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:49 am @Athos1660, it’s a good and realistic idea, but I don’t see the possibility of its implementation in the game yet. As far as I know, there is no direct path for its implementation, and one must think about indirect ones.
It would unfortunately require removing the original unit and recreating it for the other side, as there is no way in the engine to switch the ownership of a unit. Deleting the original unit would change the index numbers of some of the other units on the same side, which would mess up melee data, so the unit needs to be "Removed" rather than Deleted.

It can certainly be done, as I have written code to allow units to change sides in some user scenarios in FOG2. See the LocalUnitChangeSides() function in stockwellpete's Assandun scenario.
Richard Bodley Scott

Return to “Modders Corner”