Armageddon and XP

Moderators: Slitherine Core, BA Moderators, WH40K Armageddon moderators

boney10
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Armageddon and XP

Post by boney10 »

Ordered as soon as I saw was released, BUT, Game Loaded ok but when I try to launch I get error message ArmageddonGame.exe is not a valid Win32 application. MY OS is XP SP3, manual says XP minimum, Have I made a mistake thinking it runs on XP ?
lordzimoa
Lordz Games Studio
Lordz Games Studio

Re: Armageddon and XP

Post by lordzimoa »

I don`t think this game supports XP and we had some problems in testing on XP... but Alex might have something.
IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil »

Unfortunately it does not work on XP currently. We're going to see if we can fix it but it is not supported at the moment and is not listed on the product page.
boney10

Post by boney10 »

Drat, ok thanks for the info, I have re-read the specs, I saw Athalon XP and just focused on the XP, it was processor not
OS.
Looks like I wasted the money, I'll try contacting Matrix Games.
Is the intention to make it XP compatable in the near future? I know XP no longer supported but I prefer it to Win 7 which I detest.
Also you may need to change the manual which does say XP OOS as a minimum.
IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil »

XP is likely to be very vulnerable to attack as its no longer supported so I'd recommend you upgrade ASAP. We have removed all XP machines from our network to ensure we dont leave it as an avenue for attack.
rickydigits
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by rickydigits »

Its not to bad to fix on an XP system I'm using xp64. You only have to change the linker numbers the error is because the developers are using something like VS12 or VS13 which were designed by microsoft to not run on NT5 systems.

Of course back up the original executable first.
Open the ArmageddonGame.exe with a hex editor
goto these offsets change the data at offsets 0x158 and 0x160
from
06 00 00 00
to
05 00 01 00

I highly doubt this would cause problems with online play but don't trust me I've been up all night, its only changing values which are outside the game that only the OS even looks at.
Also internally the game works fine no error in algorithms used by the game so no compatibility problems when using it on an XP system.
boney10

Post by boney10 »

Thanks for the info.
I may just have a go.
As for upgrading, why? win7 is awful can't say about win8 no experience.
Vunerable to attack, surely that why we have anti virus and firewalls
zakblood
Most Active User 2017
Most Active User 2017

Post by zakblood »

anti virus only stops what it can find and fix, operating systems Vulnerability once a O/S is no longer supported, is like putting the best lock you have on a door and leaving the key in it, as it will bypass the anti virus program and circumvent it, but that's only m/s answer, there maybe better ones, but tbh i don't know them, after spending my working life in IT in the AV industry, i maybe wrong :wink:
boney10

Post by boney10 »

Thanks Zack, I am not an IT man, so appreciate the advice, was not being flippant with my reply.
I have my machine with antivirus and a Firewall, plus
I believe my ISP also has a firewall, so thought I was adequately protected.
I use Win 7 in my work and do not enjoy the experience is all
pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by pipfromslitherine »

My Win7 is set up to be identical to XP. Upgrading is a no-brainer. Win7 is the best version of Windows bar none. Win8 is awful, but that's hardly news ;)

Cheers

Pip
follow me on Twitter here
zakblood
Most Active User 2017
Most Active User 2017

Post by zakblood »

windows 8.1 is a dream to use, windows 10 is also, windows 7 is also good, so it's about choice, as 7 is soon to be retired like xp and vista already are, why go for a version that will only last a year if that, so choice is easy and tbh made for you, as win 7 will be soon as hard as anything to even source, so it's win 8.1 or wait for 10 :wink:
Microsoft is warning customers that the end is soon coming for Windows 7 in much the same way it came for Windows XP earlier this year. Microsoft will end free mainstream support for Windows 7 on January 13, 2015.
read it and weep :roll: :wink:
pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by pipfromslitherine »

It's obviously a personal preference, but even MS have acknowledged that 8's half and half UI has been a disaster. The loathing for it is pretty well documented. All its good points (of which there are many under the hood) are negated by its core usability blunders.

Anyway, getting a little OT, so I shall stop there, saying there is literally zero chance that W7 will stop getting updates in January :)

Cheers

Pip
follow me on Twitter here
zakblood
Most Active User 2017
Most Active User 2017

Post by zakblood »

well agree with no updates yes, but try and go out and buy it, if you are lucky you may get a older copy, but there are few and far between as M/S has already stopped sending them out to OEM's and what ever is out there now it the last lot :wink:

as no more are either being made or released from any stock that's left...

try any of the bigger companies etc, and see what options they will ship a new pc with, or try and buy volume in windows 7 anywhere and see the stock levels for yourself, but i'm off topic now so will keep stum :roll: :wink:
caca
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by caca »

rickydigits wrote: Of course back up the original executable first.
from
06 00 00 00
to
05 00 01 00
A huge, huge thank you, rickydigits!!!!!!
I start up the game on XP, using your method!
It's hard to correctly translate the terms of this write on Russian what I did for Rudankort. :oops:

Александр. Вчерашний последний вариант оказался удачным.
Я сделал следующее. В НЕХ редакторе при смещениии от начала файла на 0х00000168 байты 06 00 00 00 на 05 00 01 00
1.jpg
1.jpg (187.02 KiB) Viewed 11547 times
Запустил на ХР SP3. Игра загрузилась. Выбрал туториал, сделал 2 полных хода. Все работает нормально. Больше не смог... на работе. :wink:
Вчера вечером на своей 8.1 около часа играл на этом же экзешники. Проблем не было.
Попозже проверю его работу на Висте.

Here is the modified file

Moderators. If I broke your rules remove this post.
zakblood
Most Active User 2017
Most Active User 2017

Post by zakblood »

Alexander . Yesterday the last option was a success .
I did the following . In HEX editor at an offset from the beginning of the file on the (offset)

Launched on XP SP3. The game is loaded . Chose the tutorial did 2 full stroke . Everything works fine. No longer able to work ... . : wink:
Last night on my 8.1 hour playing on the same executables . There were no problems .
Later check his work on Vista .

russian to english so not 100% correct maybe

Code: Select all

Александр. Вчерашний последний вариант оказался удачным.
Я сделал следующее. В НЕХ редакторе при смещениии от начала файла на 0х00000168 байты 06 00 00 00 на 05 00 01 00

Запустил на ХР SP3. Игра загрузилась. Выбрал туториал, сделал 2 полных хода. Все работает нормально. Больше не смог... на работе. :wink: 
Вчера вечером на своей 8.1 около часа играл на этом же экзешники. Проблем не было. 
Its not to bad to fix on an XP system I'm using xp64. You only have to change the linker numbers the error is because the developers are using something like VS12 or VS13 which were designed by microsoft to not run on NT5 systems.

Of course back up the original executable first.
from
06 00 00 00
to
05 00 01 00

I highly doubt this would cause problems with online play but don't trust me I've been up all night, its only changing values which are outside the game that only the OS even looks at.
Also internally the game works fine no error in algorithms used by the game so no compatibility problems when using it on an XP system.
and that still is a 64bit o/s so would now need to try a 32bit version as well with windows xp sp3 32bit
caca
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by caca »

zakblood_slith wrote: and that still is a 64bit o/s so would now need to try a 32bit version as well with windows xp sp3 32bit
Hi Zak. :D I do not know as you have but here in Russia, there is no Windows XP SP3 64-bit. :wink:
Microsoft has not released Windows XP SP3 64. :lol:
So I checked it at 32 bits. :)
zakblood
Most Active User 2017
Most Active User 2017

Post by zakblood »

Code: Select all

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_XP_Professional_x64_Edition
yes m8 both :wink:

i have both version, 32 and 64, but only on drives, hardware been updated and used for other tests, a few hours and i could put both back on, but never really test on it any more, same as vista now either...
frunit7

Post by frunit7 »

I finally bought the game and can confirm that the indicated offsets change makes the game playable under Windows XP SP3 32 bits.

This is great! Thanks rickydigits
BaZooKaUA

Post by BaZooKaUA »

caca wrote:
rickydigits wrote:

Moderators. If I broke your rules remove this post.
Привет, заменил экзешник игры на тот, что ты кинул по ссылке, выдает ошибку - Install CRC failure. Try to reinstalling the game to fix this failure.
Может знаешь, в чем проблема и что делать?
zakblood
Most Active User 2017
Most Active User 2017

Post by zakblood »

Hi, replaced the executable of the game to the one that you threw on the link , an error - Install CRC failure. Try to reinstalling the game to fix this failure.
Maybe you know what the problem is and what to do ?
yes, just reinstall the game first, use the latest patch, then make sure you have no virtual drives running, and you should be good to go, unless you have the steam version, then we will have to try something else for now

да, просто переустановить игру сначала , используйте последнюю версию программы , то убедитесь, что у вас нет виртуальных дисков не работает, и вы должны быть хорошо идти , если у вас есть версии пара, то мы будем иметь , чтобы попробовать что-то еще сейчас

good luck

удачи
udachi

Return to “Tech Support”