Mouse lag

Moderators: Slitherine Core, BA Moderators, WH40K Armageddon moderators

TheGrayMouser
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Mouse lag

Post by TheGrayMouser »

Hello, have issues with some serious mouse pointer lag in game, bad enough my hand is exhausted(and no, I am not doing anything else with my hand :) )

game is updated to latest patch, updated drivers that came with the install, Windows 7 32 bit, Nvidia 8400 GS.....
For what its worth have no issues with Panzer Corp or Pike &Shot
VPaulus
Slitherine
Slitherine

Re: Mouse lag

Post by VPaulus »

What graphic card you have?
zakblood
Most Active User 2017
Most Active User 2017

Post by zakblood »

Nvidia 8400 GS

Code: Select all

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-8400-gs/specifications
Standard Memory Config Per GPU 256MB
Last edited by zakblood on Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Rudankort
FlashBack Games
FlashBack Games

Post by Rudankort »

Can you measure how many FPS you have? You can use FRAPS for example (free version) to check this.

Also: does this happen on all maps, or just some of them?
TheGrayMouser
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by TheGrayMouser »

Rudankort wrote:Can you measure how many FPS you have? You can use FRAPS for example (free version) to check this.

Also: does this happen on all maps, or just some of them?
Appears to happen on all

per Fraps getting 20 FPS when doing nothing, dropping to about 17 when moving the mouse pointer/selecting units etc

(I cannot get FRAPS to display the FPS in the upper left corner in PanzerKorp as a comparison, not to familiar w Fraps as I have had it installed for 3 minutes haha)

Thanks for taking a look at this!
TheGrayMouser
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by TheGrayMouser »

zakblood_slith wrote:Nvidia 8400 GS

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-8400-gs/specifications
Standard Memory Config Per GPU 256MB
According to the Nvidia control panel on my PC, this card has 512 MB DDR2 dedicated memory and 2032 in Total available Memory ( VRAm ?)
zakblood
Most Active User 2017
Most Active User 2017

Post by zakblood »

i stand corrected then, most cards only had what i quoted, and that's there link as well, not mine tbh..

cpu speed and memory installed?

as this will also maybe help them
Last edited by zakblood on Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VPaulus
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by VPaulus »

Try turning VSynch off in the Nvidia control panel, and check if it improves your issue.
zakblood
Most Active User 2017
Most Active User 2017

Post by zakblood »

also it seems your using system ram on your card, again thats fine but as you have a 32bit operating system, anything shared with the card is less for the o/s, and as windows 32bit can only use 3gb of ram, this maybe one of your problems
Windows 7 32 bit
For example, I purchased one from a boutique gaming rig company that came with 4GB of RAM and two 1GB video cards. I hadn't specified the OS version and assumed that they'd put 64-bit Vista on it, but it came with the 32-bit version and as a result only 2.2GB of the memory was accessible by Windows.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3_GB_barrier
a common complaint and misunderstanding, so if you have 4 or even 3gb and you share what little you have with your card to lets say boost that, you pc - o/s will have less to use and therefore be handicapped by it if the games needs more etc, easy way is to turn off in bios the shared ram and save it, then reboot into windows and see if it's any better :wink:
TheGrayMouser
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by TheGrayMouser »

VPaulus wrote:Try turning VSynch off in the Nvidia control panel, and check if it improves your issue.

Had no effect.
I have a hard time believing the maps etc in this game are significantly more trying on my rig than PzKorp/P&S
You'd think 4 GIG ram would be enough for a turn based game..
Heck, I can play MEd Total War 2 with high settings with less lag.... Its really just the mouse pointer, the animations are smooth.....

I suppose I could update to the latest Nvidia see if that does anything...

Thanks guys
zakblood
Most Active User 2017
Most Active User 2017

Post by zakblood »

no, 4gb won't work with a 32bit o/s and can cause different problems with some games is what i'm saying tbh...

might be wrong, more than 50% of the time i am, as it's only a opinion, but backed by 30+ years of IT work :roll: :wink:

at least test my guess?

enter bios on boot, disable shared memory and re boot, some games will be slower yes, some will be better, but either way you can't use 4gb on a 32bit o/s so will get one error or another in some, not all, but some you will, sorry :cry:
TheGrayMouser
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by TheGrayMouser »

zakblood_slith wrote:
a common complaint and misunderstanding, so if you have 4 or even 3gb and you share what little you have with your card to lets say boost that, you pc - o/s will have less to use and therefore be handicapped by it if the games needs more etc, easy way is to turn off in bios the shared ram and save it, then reboot into windows and see if it's any better :wink:
Hmm, I'd give it try, uhh how does one go about this?
zakblood
Most Active User 2017
Most Active User 2017

Post by zakblood »

do you know how to enter your bios before boot?

Press the Setup key. As soon as you see the manufacturer’s logo, press the key specified to enter Setup or BIOS. The most common keys are F1, F2, and Del.
If you don’t hit the key in time, Windows will load and you will have to reboot and retry.

then find the tab for your display, it will say....

In the Integrated Peripherals menu, select the option for AGP aperture size.

and select the smallest number if you haven't got the option to say none etc, so 8mb etc then go out of that page and save the configuration, that should be at the top right menu or last page tab....

then reboot the pc, windows may say a change etc in video size message on booting into windows but will only display it once, and that's fine....

check a few of your games or all of them, then post results, if it still doesn't work right, come back and say so, and will think of something else to try, good luck
Last edited by zakblood on Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheGrayMouser
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by TheGrayMouser »

zakblood_slith wrote:do you know how to enter your bios before boot?

nope, but I'm guessing I strike some F key when I get to that dos looking screen?
zakblood
Most Active User 2017
Most Active User 2017

Post by zakblood »

sorry was still typing it all out, i'm slow and have 8 pages open atm so keep doing a few and edits etc :wink:
TheGrayMouser
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by TheGrayMouser »

Hi, hoping someone could take a look here as I don't think memory is an issue with the mouse lag

ist shot is 40K , I still have 290 mb of free memory but getting only 25 FPS. The map is maybe 80% zoomed IN, if I zoom OUT to about 80% max, FPS drops to about 10 FPS! Mouse lag is bad either way

Second shot is PanzerKorp which is using way more memory leaving only about 29 MB of free memory (fraps wont work on PK for some reason) but map scrolling and mouse is PERFECT!

I'm not too tech savvy here but is there something else amiss? PK I believe is running full screen, 40k, not sure, fixed resolution windowed?
Attachments
Arm.jpg
Arm.jpg (182.25 KiB) Viewed 7724 times
PK50).jpg
PK50).jpg (193.79 KiB) Viewed 7724 times
zakblood
Most Active User 2017
Most Active User 2017

Post by zakblood »

is this with the bios shared memory changed or not?
TheGrayMouser
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by TheGrayMouser »

zakblood_slith wrote:is this with the bios shared memory changed or not?
NO

I did boot up and got into the ASUS bios set up(after 20 reboots as I have a Logitech keboard and the boot doesn't give any hint on which key to use, oye), way too much in there... I went thru every option and tab (surprised I had mouse control in there) I could find nothing remotely sounding like what you referred to, plenty of stuff on cores, overclocking and everything else under the sun..... BTW isn't AGP apurature for AGP cards? My Graphic card is PCI express...

I really shouldn't have been spelunking in the bios, 10 pounds of booze and 15 pounds of turkey in me...
Rudankort
FlashBack Games
FlashBack Games

Post by Rudankort »

While Panzer Corps looks similar to Armageddon, it's a completely different implementation. FRAPS cannot and will not show FPS in PzC, because that program is not a DirectX based application. And, while PzC uses system Windows cursor, Armageddon draws cursor itself. So, differences in behavior of the two games are normal.

I think that the issue with mouse lag is tightly related to low FPS in general, because the game draw cursor together with the rest of the frame, and 10-20 fps is not enough for smooth cursor movement. I'm afraid the issue cannot be fixed without code update, unless we find a way to speed up the game on your machine. Let me investigate and get back to you.

Two quick questions:
- Your screen resolution is 1680x1024 right?
- Apart from mouse movement, do you think the game is playable on your system, or some other things are also too slow?
TheGrayMouser
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by TheGrayMouser »

Rudankort wrote:While Panzer Corps looks similar to Armageddon, it's a completely different implementation. FRAPS cannot and will not show FPS in PzC, because that program is not a DirectX based application. And, while PzC uses system Windows cursor, Armageddon draws cursor itself. So, differences in behavior of the two games are normal.

I think that the issue with mouse lag is tightly related to low FPS in general, because the game draw cursor together with the rest of the frame, and 10-20 fps is not enough for smooth cursor movement. I'm afraid the issue cannot be fixed without code update, unless we find a way to speed up the game on your machine. Let me investigate and get back to you.

Two quick questions:
- Your screen resolution is 1680x1024 right?
- Apart from mouse movement, do you think the game is playable on your system, or some other things are also too slow?
Hi, thanks for taking a peek
*1680 x 1050
*its really just the mouse lag, scrolling is a little "jerky" but just barely.

Edit:
I changed my monitor to 16 bit colours, makes a big difference in FPS and reduces the mouse lag to some degree... weird

Return to “Tech Support”