Mod: pizza's Tau full faction addon v0.3 (now 94 variants)

Moderators: Slitherine Core, BA Moderators, WH40K Armageddon moderators

pizzagrenadier
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Mod: pizza's Tau full faction addon v0.3 (now 94 variants)

Post by pizzagrenadier »

The space communists have finally arrived to fight for the Greater Good!! :shock: :D

the tyranids mod and tau mod are completely compatible with each other, and when new official base game patch drops, i will update both mods at the same time.

UPDATE 5: v0.3 release! compatible with 1.08 official patch

in this v0.3 release of the tau full faction addon mod, there are 8 unique units/variants. so now total variants count is at 94. ( also this release makes the tyranids mod compatible with official 1.08 patch too. )

very special thanks to forum member nosebleednz, who provided the stats for these 8 units! :D

sun shark bomber, razorshark strike fighter, gun drone squad, ethereal with honor guards, sniper drone squad, remora stealth drones, vespid stingwings, sub-commander darkstrider with his elite pathfinder squad.

note:

1. sub-commander darkstrider is a unique hero unit, and ethereal even though technically not a unique hero unit, you can only have 1 ethereal per tau army, so you can only buy 1 ethereal and 1 darkstrider. don't cheat ! :twisted:

2. there are quite a few units with camo trait in this release, just like usual , camo doesn't show up in unit card, but it works in game. the following units have camo trait:

sub-commander darkstrider, sniper drone squad, remora stealth drones, vespid stingwings.

3: there are only 3 units left to finish the entire tau army: barracuda, tiger shark and tetra. i need those 3 unit stats! anyone who knows the stats of these 3 units, please head over to the tau stats crunching thread in this mod forum to provide the stats. thank you!

old updates:

UPDATE 4: v1.06 compatibility patch release, plus Angels of Death DLC play instructions

for the Angels of Death DLC campaign, the unit avail files are located in Armageddon/Content/BloodAngels/Data directory. you need to manually attach the 3000 numbers unit IDs to 3 files, from "availBA1.whdat" all the way to "availBA3.whdat". then tyranids and tau will show up under steel legion faction in game.

UPDATE 3: v0.2 release!

in this v0.2 release of the tau full faction addon mod, there are 8 unique units, with 10 variants/units. so now total variants count is at 86. with more units coming!

kroot carnivores, kroot shaper, kroot hounds, krootox, Commander Shadowsun ( unique hero unit ), Gue'vesa human auxiliaries ( 2 variants ), piranha ( 2 variants ), devilfish ( troop transport ).

note:

1. Commander Shadowsun is a unique hero unit, she is the current overall tau military commander. She is not exactly a combat powerhouse like swarmlord, but she is pretty useful as support, also she wears experimental stealth suit, so she has camo trait.

Update 2: v0.1b Vulcan's Wrath DLC compatibility patch release and play instructions

for the new dlc campaign, the unit avail files are in a different location. now they are located in Armageddon/Content/Salamanders/Data directory. you need to manually attach the 3000 numbers unit IDs to 7 files, from "availSAL1.whdat" all the way to "availSAL7.whdat". then tyranids and tau will show up under steel legion faction in game.

Update 1: v1.05a compatibility patch release

this patch is to make this mod compatible with the newly released official base game v1.05 patch.

First v0.1 release

before we get to the details of the release, very special thanks to forum member dayta for all the tau stats crunching! :D he has once again answered the call, this time for the Greater Good. the man is a communist for sure. :shock: :mrgreen: :lol:

and once again, very special thanks to the great devs of the awesome Armageddon base game!

also many thanks to the numerous people on the internet for posting photos of their beautifully painted models. and GW for their awesomely crafted universe!

in terms of unit graphics, pictures for north facing tau models on the internet are hilariously rare. so unfortunately most of the tau units will be missing north facing sprites. so i did 3 things to compensate: for some units: 1. if i could find source photos, i made separate graphic sprites for main weapon variants. 2. if i could find source photos, i made more than 2 facings. 3. for those units with 360 degree views, i made 6 facings.

example: hammerhead has 2 main weapons as variants: railgun OR ion cannon. so i made separate unit graphics for them. ( point 1.) for ion cannon hammerhead, i could only find 1 picture, so i only made 2 facings. but for railgun hammerhead i found 2 pictures, so i made 4 facings. ( point 2 ) units like riptide i was able to find 360 degree view, so i made 6 facings for them. ( point 3 ) .

screenshots of all released units are displayed in this thread, see below.

in terms of sound: only 2 new sound effects are added, 1 is the burst cannon sound made by me. 2 is the excellent hover tank movement sound made by caveman. rest of the sound effects are all from the base game.

in this first release of the tau full faction addon mod, there are 15 unique units, with total 76 variants/units. ( more units coming! )

you can play the tau on both the side of imperium and the orks. i have attached the units to both factions. yes, that means that you can even play tau vs tau in multiplayer. :D in this version 0.1, the following units are included: hammerhead ( 4 variants), sky ray, fire warriors ( 2 variants ), cadre fireblade command squad, pathfinders (3 variants ), stealth suits, tau commander by himself, tau commander w bodyguards, broadside ( 7 variants ), crisis team ( a whopping 2+7X4= 30 variants, :shock: explanation below ), hazard suits ( 16 variants ), riptide ( 6 variants), XV107 R'varna , XV109 Y'vahra , manta. it's a full faction addon. ( with more units coming of course )

a few notes about some of the units and tau faction mechanics in general:

1. as you noticed, tau units have lots of variants. one of the reason is that they not only have main weapon variants, some of the units also have various support gear as subvariants. :shock: lets use the example of crisis team.

in terms of main weapon differences, the crisis team has 9 different MAIN VARIANTS. 8 of them are named. like "Fire Knife" for example.

then they have 4 support gear as subvariants, these support gear don't show up as weapons but give extra stats like defense or trait, and with a req cost attached. here is the list of support gear with their names, abbreviations ( which appear on the unit name) and effects and cost:

SI = Stimulant Injector (+10 Defense) + 50 req cost
SG = Shield Generator (+20 Defense) + 100 req cost
CDS = Counterfire Defense System (Gives Support Trait ) + 150 req cost.
SD = Shield Drone ( +5 defense and +1HP ) +75 req cost.

so a variant of crisis team is listed in game as " Crisis Team Fire Knife w CDS " another could be " Crisis Team Fire Knife w SG " etc.

among the 9 MAIN WEAPON VARIANTS, 2 of those have fixed support gear config, the rest of the 7 have 4 support gear EACH. so total crisis team variants number is at 2+7X4= 30. it's a lot easier to categorize this way. when you buy units just look at the unit names , then you know what support gear they have.

2. originally we planned to give all battlesuit units hover move. but it turns out that hover infantry can NOT enter cities and fortifications. but smaller battlesuits like crisis team should be able to enter cities, we have to give smaller battlesuits that are classified as infantry 'light leg' move. however big battlesuits classified as titans like riptide are not affected, since they can't enter the cities in the first place. so they keep their hover move.

3. i gave stealth suits camo trait just like lictor, it doesn't show up in unit card, but it works, ( tested online in hotseat games against myself ). just put 1 hex between stealth suits and an enemy unit, that enemy unit won't see it.

Install Instructions:

basically the installation is pretty much the same as tyranids mod, still please read this carefully:

with this mod, the only files that are overwritten are 4 .whdat files: Armageddon/data/weapons.whdat, Armageddon/data/unittypes.whdat, Armageddon/Graphics/attack.whdat, Armageddon/Audio/Move/move.whdat. so before you do anything, BACKUP THESE 4 FILES!! and if you want to uninstall this mod ( why would you ? :mrgreen: ) , just restore those 4 files.

all tau sound and graphics files are new additions, they do not overwrite anything. so you don't have to worry about them.

after you backup those 4 files, 2 simple steps to install this mod:

STEP 1: extract the zip file you downloaded into the Armageddon base directory, OVERWRITE everything.

STEP 2: in order to make the tau units available in steel legion and ork faction in both multiplayer and singleplayer campaign, you have do this extra simple step. i didn't do it for you guys.

go to the Armageddon base diretory, now you will see a text file called "units avail list". tau unit ID numbers start at 2100 and 3100 respectively for attaching to orks and imperium.

to play tau attached to both ork and imperium side in multiplayer, you need to copy and paste that list of numbers from 2100 and 3100 and up into "availMP.whdat" and "availMPlimit.whdat" files located in Armageddon/data folder. DONE ! now you can play as tau attached to both sides.

for vanilla singleplayer campaign you do the same thing, except you need to copy and paste the list of 3100 to 3175 into each and every one of those avail.whdat files in the Armageddon/data folder. avail1.whdat all the way to avail8.whdat. DONE! now you can play as tau on the imperium side through the entire campaign, against orks.

for Vulcan's Wrath dlc campaign , the unit avail files are in a different location. now they are located in Armageddon/Content/Salamanders/Data directory. you need to manually attach the 3000 numbers unit IDs to 7 files, from "availSAL1.whdat" all the way to "availSAL7.whdat". DONE! now you can play as tau on the imperium side through the entire dlc campaign, against orks.

for Angels of Death dlc campaign , the unit avail files are located in Armageddon/Content/BloodAngels/Data directory. you need to manually attach the 3000 numbers unit IDs to 3 files, from "availBA1.whdat" all the way to "availBA3.whdat". DONE! now you can play as tau on the imperium side through the entire dlc campaign, against orks.

ONE LAST THING: once again, if you like to merge the tau data into your own versions of .whdat files please read the detailed instructions in POST 2 of the tyranids thread, along with some warnings. the way to do this is exactly the same.

as usual, new updates of this mod will be posted at the top of this post.

Download link for the v0.3 main file, now 94 variants ( compatible with 1.08 official patch ):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/c89isicsy2w4b ... 3.zip?dl=0

feel free to report any bugs, post your impressions, suggestions and feedbacks in this thread, all feedbacks are welcome! and most importantly, have fun! :D

For the Greater Good!!!! :mrgreen:

Attachments
riptide with heavy burst cannon ( total 6 facings ),   riptide with ion accelerator ( total 6 facings )
riptide with heavy burst cannon ( total 6 facings ), riptide with ion accelerator ( total 6 facings )
tau 1f.png (244.09 KiB) Viewed 25700 times
fire warriors ( total 4 facings ) , fire warriors with gun drone ( total 4 facings ),  cadre fireblade command squad ( total 4 facings )
fire warriors ( total 4 facings ) , fire warriors with gun drone ( total 4 facings ), cadre fireblade command squad ( total 4 facings )
tau 2f.png (249.47 KiB) Viewed 25700 times
hammerhead with ion cannon ( total 2 facings ), hammerhead with railgun ( total 4 facings ),  pathfinders with rail rifle   ( total 2 facings ), pathfinders with gun drone  ( total 2 facings ), pathfinders with ion rifle  ( total 2 facings )
hammerhead with ion cannon ( total 2 facings ), hammerhead with railgun ( total 4 facings ), pathfinders with rail rifle ( total 2 facings ), pathfinders with gun drone ( total 2 facings ), pathfinders with ion rifle ( total 2 facings )
tau 3f.png (245.79 KiB) Viewed 25700 times
Last edited by pizzagrenadier on Mon Sep 14, 2015 5:45 pm, edited 10 times in total.
pizzagrenadier

Re: Mod: pizza's Tau full faction addon v0.1 (first 76 varia

Post by pizzagrenadier »

more screenshots.
Attachments
broadside with heavy rail rifles ( total 6 facings ), broadside  with high yield missile pods ( total 6 facings )
broadside with heavy rail rifles ( total 6 facings ), broadside with high yield missile pods ( total 6 facings )
tau 4f.png (247.65 KiB) Viewed 25696 times
tau commander with crisis suits bodyguards  ( total 2 facings ) ,  tau commander by himself ( total 6 facings ),   crisis team  ( total 2 facings ),  stealth suits  ( total 2 facings )
tau commander with crisis suits bodyguards ( total 2 facings ) , tau commander by himself ( total 6 facings ), crisis team ( total 2 facings ), stealth suits ( total 2 facings )
tau 5f.png (243.61 KiB) Viewed 25696 times
sky ray ( total 2 facings ), XV109 Y'vahra  ( total 2 facings ),XV107 R'varna  ( total 2 facings ),
sky ray ( total 2 facings ), XV109 Y'vahra ( total 2 facings ),XV107 R'varna ( total 2 facings ),
tau 6f.png (248.39 KiB) Viewed 25696 times
Last edited by pizzagrenadier on Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pizzagrenadier

Post by pizzagrenadier »

more screenshots
Attachments
hazard suits with phased ion guns ( total 2 facings ), hazard suits with burst cannons ( total 2 facings ),hazard suits with pulse submunition rifles ( total 2 facings ),hazard suits with fusion cascades ( total 2 facings ), manta ( total 4 facings )
hazard suits with phased ion guns ( total 2 facings ), hazard suits with burst cannons ( total 2 facings ),hazard suits with pulse submunition rifles ( total 2 facings ),hazard suits with fusion cascades ( total 2 facings ), manta ( total 4 facings )
tau 7f.png (244.28 KiB) Viewed 24807 times
kroot carnivores ( total 2 facings ), kroot shaper ( total 2 facings ), krootox ( total 4 facings ), kroot hounds ( total 2 facings )
kroot carnivores ( total 2 facings ), kroot shaper ( total 2 facings ), krootox ( total 4 facings ), kroot hounds ( total 2 facings )
tau 8f.png (248.67 KiB) Viewed 24807 times
devilfish troop transport ( total 2 facings ), piranha ( total 2 facings ), commander shadowsun ( total 2 facings ), gue'vesa human auxiliaries with lasgun ( total 2 facings ), gue'vesa human auxiliaries with pulse rifle ( total 2 facings )
devilfish troop transport ( total 2 facings ), piranha ( total 2 facings ), commander shadowsun ( total 2 facings ), gue'vesa human auxiliaries with lasgun ( total 2 facings ), gue'vesa human auxiliaries with pulse rifle ( total 2 facings )
tau 9f.png (247.23 KiB) Viewed 24807 times
Last edited by pizzagrenadier on Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:33 am, edited 3 times in total.
pizzagrenadier

Post by pizzagrenadier »

more screenshots
Attachments
sun shark bomber ( total 6 facings ), razorshark strike fighter ( total 6 facings )
sun shark bomber ( total 6 facings ), razorshark strike fighter ( total 6 facings )
tau 10f.png (244.93 KiB) Viewed 23239 times
remora stealth drones ( total 2 facings ), sub-commander darkstrider with his elite pathfinder squad ( total 2 facings ), sniper drone squad ( total 2 facings ), ethereal with honor guards ( total 2 facings ), gun drone squad ( total 2 facings ), vespid stingwings ( total 2 facings )
remora stealth drones ( total 2 facings ), sub-commander darkstrider with his elite pathfinder squad ( total 2 facings ), sniper drone squad ( total 2 facings ), ethereal with honor guards ( total 2 facings ), gun drone squad ( total 2 facings ), vespid stingwings ( total 2 facings )
tau 11f.png (245.51 KiB) Viewed 23239 times
Last edited by pizzagrenadier on Mon Sep 14, 2015 5:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
pizzagrenadier

Post by pizzagrenadier »

reserved for future screenshots
Last edited by pizzagrenadier on Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pizzagrenadier

Post by pizzagrenadier »

reserved for future screenshots
Xadie
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Xadie »

Wow! You're a working machine ;) - just finished tyranids and already on the next one O_O

Just awesome. Thx a lot!
Valad
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by Valad »

Nice job, looking forward to more factions, especially Chaos so we can recreate the First War for Armageddon.

One suggestion, make the shadows 80% opacity, they look more natural. I changed the scale of your tyranid's to play with the epic scale mod and they look much better without the hard shadow.
Cataphract88
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by Cataphract88 »

Cool! 8)

This is looking great. :D :D :D
Richard
pizzagrenadier

Post by pizzagrenadier »

Xadie wrote:Wow! You're a working machine ;) - just finished tyranids and already on the next one O_O
hehe, just chipping away at the task for an hour or so everyday, it is a lot of work, but eventually one day you realize it's all done! :shock: :D
Valad wrote:One suggestion, make the shadows 80% opacity, they look more natural.
awesome suggestion!! i will try that with the remaining units. :D

Valad wrote:Nice job, looking forward to more factions, especially Chaos so we can recreate the First War for Armageddon.
hmm, i think it's time for a public service announcement, i might also need to re emphasize this at the top of this thread after the tau is done.

after tau is completed, dayta and i plan to do a mini addon for imp guards, which will include: imperator and warlord class titans, a few imperial knights, and a bunch of cadian infantry units, etc. now once the imp guards mini addon is done, i do not plan to do anymore faction mods. simply because i'm not exactly a big fan of the remaining factions. i certainly do not want to stop any potential future modding progress for this game, i don't want you guys to have false hope thinking that "hey because pizza did tyranids and tau, maybe he will do other factions, too" therefore, no one gets any work done. so my apology to chaos, necron and eldars fans, i won't be making those. i'm 100% certain of that. :( now regarding chaos, i actually like chaos, but because chaos is in the first armageddon war, and the devs have licence for that, it's a safe bet that they will make it some time down the road.

i will keep the tyranids, tau and that mini imp guard addon updated though. :D
pizzagrenadier

Re: Mod: pizza's Tau full faction addon v0.1a (first 76 vari

Post by pizzagrenadier »

v1.05a compatibility patch is out! check the first post for updated info.
glennthom72
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by glennthom72 »

Hi I dloaded the tyranids mod and its great! However I downloaded the tau mod and they are invisible in the game, not sure what ive done wrong.when i copy and past into unitavail. files do i paste at the bottom below the existing numbers?
thankyou for any help!
pizzagrenadier

Post by pizzagrenadier »

glennthom72 wrote: when i copy and past into unitavail. files do i paste at the bottom below the existing numbers?
thankyou for any help!
yes, that's the way to do it. however i don't think your problem has anything to do with unitavail files, because you said the units are invisible, which means that they are already in the game by your editing of unitavail files.

the invisibility of your units indicates that the graphics files are missing. make sure you download and install the large main file of tau graphics and sound asset file, not just the small patch. also very important: after you download and install the large graphics and sound file, you need to download and install the v1.05 compatibility patch again.
glennthom72

Post by glennthom72 »

Thanku for your help! will try reinstalling it
pizzagrenadier

Post by pizzagrenadier »

hmm glennthom, i think you may have helped me discovered a small unintentional issue.

when you said that the tau units were invisible, i assumed you meant that you could actually see the stats of the units, but not graphics. now i realized that you maybe meant that the tau units were completely missing.

after i bought the vulcan's wrath dlc, i attached the tyranids and tau units as steel legion on the imperium side for the dlc campaign. to my astonishment, only the tyranids showed up, tau were completely missing. then i remembered your post. so i rechecked the unit id list file. it turns out that i put a line of space between the block of tyranids units IDs and tau units IDs ( to separate them ), and when i attached both blocks of units AT THE SAME TIME into a unit avail file, the space still remains and the game doesn't take kindly to that. :P there should be no space, only a "#" sign. so i added a "#" sign between the ID of 3070 ( where nids units end ) and 3100 ( where tau units begin ). then all tau units showed up . so now the unit avail list file has been updated and added into the 1.05 compatibility patch.

reason why this was never reported is probably because until today, most of us attached the nids units and tau units separately, because nids mod came out first.

anyway, not sure if it's the true cause of your problem, but if you still have tau units missing, just re download the small 1.05 compatibility patch, install it and reattach the unit IDs into the various unitavail files.

hope this helps. :D
pizzagrenadier

Re: Mod: pizza's Tau full faction addon v0.1b (first 76 vari

Post by pizzagrenadier »

vulcan's wrath dlc campaign compatibility patch is out! check the first post for updated info.
glennthom72

Post by glennthom72 »

yes you are right they are completely invisible! i will reinstall mods and let u know if they work
glennthom72

Post by glennthom72 »

HI Just to let u know I now have the tau working, they are brilliant! I read install instructions wrong, that copy/pasting of files was unnecessary for me as im not using them in campaign, just in the editor for scenarios. thanku for your great work on these mods. :)
Cataphract88
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by Cataphract88 »

pizzagrenadier wrote:vulcan's wrath dlc campaign compatibility patch is out! check the first post for updated info.
Thanks for the latest patch. :) :) :)
Richard
pizzagrenadier

Post by pizzagrenadier »

glennthom72 wrote:HI Just to let u know I now have the tau working, they are brilliant! I read install instructions wrong, that copy/pasting of files was unnecessary for me as im not using them in campaign, just in the editor for scenarios. thanku for your great work on these mods. :)
np, glad it works for you now! :D

Return to “Mods and Scenario Design”