Revised unittypes and weapons

Moderators: Slitherine Core, BA Moderators, WH40K Armageddon moderators

Gamebook
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Revised unittypes and weapons

Post by Gamebook »

A few tweaks and fixes of errors to the files.

**Edit**

I've been fiddling around with the unittypes and weapons data files (I backed up the originals of course) to try and make the game more like the Warhammer tabletop game, and also to rebalance the game to be more in favour of infantry and less vehicle and Titan-based. To check them out put the extracted file from attack.rar into the 'Graphics' folder, and the extracted files from data.rar into the 'data' folder in the Warhammer 40,000 Armageddon game folder (back the originals up first of course).

**Edit**

I've taken things a lot further now. The entire game has had its units restructured to match the tabletop game. Every unit and weapon is now built with the statistics and capabilities and unit structure detailed in the manifold codexes, supplements and Imperial Armour books. The points costs are now what they would be to field that unit in the Warhammer 40K tabletop game. Also there have been a few tweaks to bring the units weapons in line with what is shown on their graphic images.

I've also altered how infantry work. Rather than unit size being based on how many actual troopers are in the unit, it now shows how many squads are in the unit. So a Steel Legion infantry unit now has a unit size of 5 (a platoon of 5 squads), but a hit points of 10 per unit (10 man infantry squads). Hit points in a point of unit strength is equal to how many wounds that squad would have in 40K tabletop. Space marines now only have 1 HP per trooper rather than 2 for example.

This has allowed me to vary the armament of infantry more. The game allocates weapons per point of strength. If the unit has lasguns, then every trooper has a lasgun. If the unit has heavy bolters then every trooper has a heavy bolter. In the 40K tabletop though a unit will generally only have 1 to 4 heavy weapons per squad (some ork units are the exception). Infantry squads are now more like vehicles, capable of mounting multiple weapons systems. The weapon statistics for weapons that infantry are equipped with reflect how many shots a squad of that type would be capable of generating. So for example a Steel Legion infantry squad has the weapon Lasguns and this weapon has 16 shots. That represents 8 troopers in the squad firing twice each. The remaining two troopers in the squad are a heavy weapon team with an autocannon weapon (in 40K tabletop it takes two Guardsmen to fire one heavy weapon). Weapons are less generic and are often customised to fit types of squad.

This approach means that infantry have lost some of their granularity. Casualties will only degrade a units capabilities when an entire squad has been wiped out. While not completely realistic this matches up with how vehicles are treated. Super-heavy tanks retain all their capabilities right down to the last hit point for example, whereas in the more detailed tabletop game they can take a similar amount of punishment but will be immobilised with most of their weapons shot off by that point.

I have made no attempt to balance the game with all this, I am just letting the chips fall as they may. In practice it seems to work OK. This mod is intended to allow me to play the game my way rather than being a 'fix'.

Changes include:

* Imperial Guard and space marine infantry have had all their unit sizes increased by about 50%, and some ork units have been strengthened too. This alone makes a huge difference to the fighting capability and survivability of infantry. Cost has been increased proportionally.

* Many vehicle unit sizes for all factions have been decreased by about 40%. Cost has been decreased proportionally. Vehicle units now actually have rather less firepower than infantry units, but are more mobile and less vulnerable in open terrain. Leman Russes now come in squadrons of three for example, and super-heavy tanks in units of one.

* All weapon ranges have been adjusted to be equivalent to their published statistics in the GW rulebooks, at a ratio of 12" equals 1 hex (direct fire capped to 4 hexes due to game engine limitations). Infantry with their lasguns still fire to 2 hexes, Autocannons and Mortars have a range of 4 hexes, Earthshakers 20 hexes and Deathstrikes 80 hexes.

* All ork infantry, Bikeboyz and Squiggoth units now have the Fearless and Assault traits (Gretchin are cowardly grots and are not Fearless). In addition all ork infantry units carry close combat weapons, including Bikeboyz, Shootas and Lootaz. Many ork assault weapons have been ugraded.

* All Imperial Guard and space marine infantry units now have close combat weapons as well, although they are mostly weak and have only 1 attack, and the units do not have the Assault trait. This gives them a better chance when assaulted by the orks.

* Weapons stats have been made more uniform and reflective of their stats in the tabletop game. Lasguns are Strength 25, bolters have armour piercing of 10% and so on. A few units have had their weapons loadouts changed.

* Titan weapons have been altered to match their ranges and firepowers as detailed in the Apocalypse supplement for 40K. This is a colossal upgrade in their stats, Titans can now often wipe out entire enemy units with one round of firing. Ork Gargants now have an immensely dangerous assault weapon that can kill a Reaver in one go.

* The range of transport vehicles has been expanded. Almost any unit that has a transport capability in the 40K tabletop game is now available to be a transport. Many can also still be bought as independent units.

* Every unit is now available at all times in all scenarios, including special characters.
Attachments
data.rar
(23.39 KiB) Downloaded 1016 times
attack.rar
(16.16 KiB) Downloaded 932 times
Last edited by Gamebook on Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:29 am, edited 15 times in total.
pizzagrenadier
Senior Corporal - Destroyer
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Re: Revised unittypes and weapons

Post by pizzagrenadier »

very interesting changes!!

thank you ! :D
DuncanStewart
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by DuncanStewart »

Are you kidding me, I was just about to release a mod that did this exact thing, kek.
Valad

Post by Valad »

DuncanStewart wrote:Are you kidding me, I was just about to release a mod that did this exact thing, kek.

Existing mods, released or in progress should never deter anyone else from creating and releasing their own, even if they are similar. It's how modding communities thrive. Everyone has their own ideas and preferences, whether it's stats etc or unit graphics. Choice is always good, and the sharing of ideas helps create better mods in the future.
Gamebook

Post by Gamebook »

Posted a further update to my mod. See above.
Gamebook

Post by Gamebook »

Updated my above mod so it now works with the latest release of the game. Will need to be reinstalled as otherwise your game will crash if you use it.
Abberon
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by Abberon »

So some things I've noticed with the mod so far:

1) There are occasional Ork vehicles that aren't working properly. Every so often I come across an ork vehicle that says, "Unknown Weapon Type" and then it doesn't do anything but drive around.

2) The tutorial missions don't work properly with the mod (balance didn't turn out right). Even on normal, the hive militia in the first mission decimate your Steel Legion infantry units and the only way to dislodge them from cover is to plink at them with your auto cannons and sentinels until they're weak enough to finish off. That takes 3-4 turns for each of them so you can't finish the scenario. I had to start the campaign from Act 1, which isn't that big of a deal, but it would be nice if you could progress your units right from the start.

3) I'm finding Steel Legion infantry and support squads to be actually much LESS survivable than they were in vanilla. While I really like the idea of auto cannon support crews with Steel Legion infantry units and whatnot, something doesn't seem to have worked out right in terms of balancing them against the Ork units they face. They lose trades against ork shootas when they attack from range and get instantly ko'd when assaulted by pretty much anything.

Overall I like what the mod is doing but I think there is a lot of number tweaking that needs to be looked at. I hope that didn't come off as rude.
Gamebook

Post by Gamebook »

Thanks for the feedback. To address:

Checking through the ork vehicles I found that the Wartrakk with Twin Big Shootas wasn't working right. Now corrected. All the other ork vehicles should be OK on the latest download.

A lot of the missions have screwy units in them. I really need to go into and edit the missions because due to the way they are constructed there are often units with the old unit strengths for infantry which are way too high. The hive militia in the first tutorial are meant to have a unit strength of 5 rather than 10 for example.

The game mod isn't actually balanced. Unit stats and points costs are taken directly from the WH40K tabletop game with no tweaking. I have noticed that some units are really good for their points (Titans are ludicrously undercosted for example) while a few units are insanely expensive (some elite marine units).

Ork infantry is indeed much better than their Steel Legion counterparts, in a straight one-on-one they will nearly always win. This reflects the tabletop game where the orks have better fighting stats than guardsmen but the guard has better tanks and artillery. Steel Legion infantry cannot fight by themselves, they must have strong support to weaken the orks. They should also never let themselves be caught out in the open.
Abberon

Post by Abberon »

Okay understood. I don't think this was really the right mod for me then. When I first read about it I liked that you said it was meant to gear the game more towards infantry and less towards vehicles. In reality this doesn't appear to be the case, but from what you're saying that appears to be due to the fact that you're balancing everything based on tabletop. With the unit costs and caps the way they are in the actual game, it felt to me like the game was even more vehicle-based now than it was.
deranzo
Warhammer Designer
Warhammer Designer

Post by deranzo »

That's nice mod, thanks very much for your effort but does it matter to increase plasma blastgun's shot number to 8 if you increase steel legion infantry hit points 1 to 10? yes plasma blastgun is very much powerful now also infantry is 10 times durable.
it is a good day to die

Return to “Mods and Scenario Design”