Additional Units & Stat Overhaul

Moderators: Slitherine Core, BA Moderators, WH40K Armageddon moderators

Japhet
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Additional Units & Stat Overhaul

Post by Japhet »

Disclaimer: English is not my native language, so apologies for poor wording in advance.

This mod is the result of months of kitbashing images to create new variants of existing units and, in some cases, even new units. Basically, I was unhappy with the choices of units in the game, I simply felt that a large number of units were practically useless, mostly because of poor weapon choises and weak weapon synergy (Devil Dogs without multimeltas, LR Exterminators with lascannons, etc.). In Addition, some images didn't properly reflect the unit (the furioso dreadnought uses the ba ironclad dreadnought, one of the salamander predators has no sponsons, etc.) and the weapon & unit stats were sometimes very...inconsistent (six heavy bolter firing the same amount of shots as four). So, I tried to change that and to tweak the game mor to my liking, but in the end I might have gone a little overboard....

So, what does this mod actually do?

1) It adds more than 500 new unit variants and several new units for the steel legion, space marines and orks to the game, including but not limited to storm troopers, heavy weapon squads with auto- or lascannons, veteran squads, special weapon squads with plasmaguns, ironclad dreadnoughts with hurricane Bolters, doom- & hellhammer super-heavy tanks, colossus bombards (not to be confused with the bombards already in the game) and of course valkyries, vultures, storm eagles, stormtalons, land raiders, leman russ tanks, warhound & reaver titans with almost ALL their posible weapon combinations.

So, did you ever want to field a warhound titan with two megabolters? A Leman Russ Punisher with three heavy flamers? An Annihilator with a lascannon and two meltas? Or do you prefer one with two plasma cannons? Did you ever dream of blasting an orc gargant with two volcano cannons mounted on your reaver or to lay waste to theese pesky gretchin mobs with two gatling cannons on your vulture gunship? Well, you can do that now!

2) The mod also alters the weapon & unit stats to be more consistent and in line with their tabletop counterparts. The changes are based on the current 8th edition, but differ in some cases for balance reasons (for example, Space Marines get two hitpoints to make them more durable). Not that this mod is in any way truly balanced, especially the point cost, but as a pure single player mod it should work.

3) New Attack animations for certain units, like the Leman Russ & Predator Annihilators, the Wyvern or the Macharius Vulcan.

4) Lastly, I modified the campaign and scenario maps, so that the new ork units show up as enemies. Some maps should be a little harder now, especially the last mission, but are still doable.

Installation:
1) You need the community update, as the mod is based uppon it. You can get it here:
viewtopic.php?f=235&t=79526
2) download only the exe and put it in your main armageddon folder:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/zyvdzkuia8m6a ... ta.7z?dl=0
3) download the mod from the download link below.
4) put all the folders in the archive into your main armageddon folder (make sure you put it in the main folder of the community update) and click "yes" when asked if you want to override existing files.

Download link:
https://mega.nz/#!nCBHiagY!OQfIfonacL6A ... 425eeq2sK8
unit_sample.jpg
unit_sample.jpg (973.63 KiB) Viewed 15491 times
Last edited by Japhet on Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:21 pm, edited 9 times in total.
leerm02
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Re: Additional Units & Stat Overhaul

Post by leerm02 »

Looks great! Can't wait to try it! :-)
Parallax
Twitch Fidelity Award 2017
Twitch Fidelity Award 2017

Post by Parallax »

Your work is amazing. I'm going to replay vanilla campaign with this mod. Thank you very much. Japhet, Deranzo, you are the true heroes of Imperium. Armageddon must not be lost!

PS. Please, look at Grot Mega tank. I tested this mode in the last scenario and Grot Tank second weapon was missed :oops: And there is no diffirence between space marines chapters. In vanilla, ultramarines was cheaper, salamanders has more armor and blood angels - more accurate. In your mod all space marines have same stats except salamanders, they have -3 initiative (it's a bug, i think)
Japhet

Post by Japhet »

I'm glad that you like the mod. I wish I could add more stuff, like reaver titans with laser destructors, dreadnoughts with multimeltas or imperial knights, but I reached my limit of what I can do with paint.net and honestly, I'm also kinda burnt out now.

Re: Grot Mega Tank. Yeah, there was an "s" missing in the unittypes.whdat data file. The weapon name is supposed to be "2 Kustom Mega Blastas" not "2 Kustom Mega Blasta". Simlpy search your existing unittypes.whdat data file for the Grot Mega Tank entry and add the "s".

Re: Space Marines Chapters. With the exception of the Salamanders (see below), all space marine chapters have identical stats in the tabletop game, but access to different units. So to reflect that, I gave them identical stats, but different unit rosters: The Ultramarines get the centurions, Ironclad Dreadnoughts, Venerable Dreadnoughts and the Terminus Ultra Land Raider, the Blood Angels get Death Company Marines, Sanguinary Guard, Baal Predators, Furioso Dreadnoughts and the Angel Inferus Land Raider.

In regards to the lower initiative of the Salamanders, that's not a bug. In the lore (and the tabletop), they have lower initiative than other chapters (the same as ordinary humans). Something about the gravity of their homeworld affects their reaction time. To balance this, I lowered their cost by -15. Otherwise, the Salamanders have access to the same units as the Ultramarines, except they exchange the Terminus Ultra with the Terminators with heavy flamers. I wanted to give them more unique units, but sadly, the Salamanders don't get much love from GW and never had their own codex. They only got a special army list for the third war of armageddon campaign during the time of the 3rd edition (that's were the lower initiative score comes from), but the list was rather short and did't contained any special units. :cry:
Last edited by Japhet on Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:52 am, edited 3 times in total.
deranzo
Warhammer Designer
Warhammer Designer

Post by deranzo »

That a nice mod!
Models are very well blended into the game.
You can also update your mod with latest Community Update unit and weapon mechanics such as Melta, TankHunter (and Vehicle if you use this), InfantryKiller (and Infantry if you use this), MoveAndShoot etc.
it is a good day to die
Japhet

Post by Japhet »

Update: Fixed a few bugs like the grot mega tank and the proper unit list for the first mission of the Salamanders dlc.
That a nice mod!
Models are very well blended into the game.
You can also update your mod with latest Community Update unit and weapon mechanics such as Melta, TankHunter (and Vehicle if you use this), InfantryKiller (and Infantry if you use this), MoveAndShoot etc.
I thought of using your additional traits - the "TankHunter" trait would be perfect for the Destroyer Tanks weapons -, but do they come with the split of ground and anti-air weapons? Meaning that flyers can only be attacked by AA weapons? Because I think the ai would have problems dealing with that. Also, isn't there a limit (four I think) of how many traits a unit/weapon can have? With the addition of "Vehicle" and "Infantry" several units would have more than four. Maybe it's possible to link the affects of "TankHunter/InfrantryHunter/Melta" to the unit category?
Aekar
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by Aekar »

I think the limit is only on UI, not on game effects.

By the way Japhet, would you agree for me to feature your unit artworks in my mod?
(with due credits etc)
(link here: viewtopic.php?f=326&t=86486 )

Because you did an extremely good work here.
(edit: added that it only concerns the artworks)
Japhet

Post by Japhet »

No problem, go ahead. Keep in mind however, that most of the ork units are not my creation, but from the Da Orkz expansion. Provided that you want to use new ork units.
Aekar

Post by Aekar »

Thanks a lot Japhet.

It is true you still have lots of units to complete.
But a lot are done too; I saw about 10 units I will use!
Last edited by Aekar on Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
deranzo
Warhammer Designer
Warhammer Designer

Post by deranzo »

You wouldn't need to add traits more than 4 for units and weapons. Even my 8th edition mod, I didn't need to add more than 4 traits.
But yeah, new AA mechanic can be a problem. You must modify some units to have some AA weapons and campaign missions to have units with AA weapons. That would need some time.
it is a good day to die
Japhet

Post by Japhet »

New Version:
*added some new units, mostly reaver titans with laser blasters and baal predators without sponsons.
*added better fitting weapon animations for several units.
*added deranzos tabletop rules.
*numerous bug fixes, mostly missing weapon stats or missing units on the campaing maps.

Updated the links in the op.

This will propably the last update of the mod, since I'm pretty much done with adding new units. However, when (if) the new ork codex comes out, I will check if the stats for ork units & weapons are still valid. So, there may be one last update after this one.
deranzo
Warhammer Designer
Warhammer Designer

Post by deranzo »

Japhet wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:33 pm New Version:
*added some new units, mostly reaver titans with laser blasters and baal predators without sponsons.
*added better fitting weapon animations for several units.
*added deranzos tabletop rules.
*numerous bug fixes, mostly missing weapon stats or missing units on the campaing maps.

Updated the links in the op.

This will propably the last update of the mod, since I'm pretty much done with adding new units. However, when (if) the new ork codex comes out, I will check if the stats for ork units & weapons are still valid. So, there may be one last update after this one.
My tabletop rules may even need more balancing. Are you sure it suits your mod? Or did you already modify values of tabletop rules?
Also, have you seen my latest update? Now all weapons can fire flyers with reduced accuracy except than AA weapons.
it is a good day to die
MortarionUA
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by MortarionUA »

I found bug in mod - 5 base models of leman russ tank have 3 hp instead of 12 of other that type tanks.
Sabre gun turret also have less hp(3) compared to Tarantul(5), but have more cost. Fix it pls.

P.S. Leman Russ Punisher also have 3 tanks in squad unstead of 5 for some reason.
P.P.S. Deff Dred also have low(4) hp.
P.P.P.S. Spacemarines Dreadnought. They have the same hp, as Killa Kan, but much cost and lower unit_in_squad number. What is reason to use them?
Japhet

Post by Japhet »

deranzo wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:11 pm My tabletop rules may even need more balancing. Are you sure it suits your mod? Or did you already modify values of tabletop rules?
Also, have you seen my latest update? Now all weapons can fire flyers with reduced accuracy except than AA weapons.
I did. Ecerything is fine.
MortarionUA wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:37 am I found bug in mod - 5 base models of leman russ tank have 3 hp instead of 12 of other that type tanks.
Sabre gun turret also have less hp(3) compared to Tarantul(5), but have more cost. Fix it pls.

P.S. Leman Russ Punisher also have 3 tanks in squad unstead of 5 for some reason.
P.P.P.S. Spacemarines Dreadnought. They have the same hp, as Killa Kan, but much cost and lower unit_in_squad number. What is reason to use them?
None of this has anything to do with the mod. I checked the stat values in the data file and everything is fine. All the Leman Russ units have 3 tanks with 12 hp (except for the tank commanders), the sabre gun costs 250 while the tarantula costs 450 and the deff dreads and dreadnoughts have both 8 hp each. Are you sure you installed the mod correctly? Because the Leman Russ and deff dread hp you mentioned are the vanilla values.
MortarionUA

Post by MortarionUA »

Japhet wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:53 am
MortarionUA wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:37 am I found bug in mod - 5 base models of leman russ tank have 3 hp instead of 12 of other that type tanks.

None of this has anything to do with the mod. I checked the stat values in the data file and everything is fine. All the Leman Russ units have 3 tanks with 12 hp (except for the tank commanders), the sabre gun costs 250 while the tarantula costs 450 and the deff dreads and dreadnoughts have both 8 hp each. Are you sure you installed the mod correctly? Because the Leman Russ and deff dread hp you mentioned are the vanilla values.
Yep. All other tanks were with 5 tanks and 12 hp, and punisher only have 3 tanks. idk why i have such problem. May be it`s because i installed mod on community patched version?
deranzo
Warhammer Designer
Warhammer Designer

Post by deranzo »

MortarionUA wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:12 pm Yep. All other tanks were with 5 tanks and 12 hp, and punisher only have 3 tanks. idk why i have such problem. May be it`s because i installed mod on community patched version?
Community Patch is just a newer exe contains new game mechanics. Unit and weapon properties are in separate files called unittypes.whdat and weapons.whdat. So it is all about those files.
it is a good day to die
BaddAzzYellaBro

Post by BaddAzzYellaBro »

Is this mod compatible with the Epic Resize Mod? Are your new units the vanilla size or smaller like the resize mod?
Japhet

Post by Japhet »

MortarionUA wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:12 pm Yep. All other tanks were with 5 tanks and 12 hp, and punisher only have 3 tanks. idk why i have such problem. May be it`s because i installed mod on community patched version?
The community update is a requirement for the mod, so no, that's not the reason.
BaddAzzYellaBro wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:45 am Is this mod compatible with the Epic Resize Mod? Are your new units the vanilla size or smaller like the resize mod?
No, the mod uses the vanilla size.
Sam_Wolf

Post by Sam_Wolf »

"Final Stand at Archeron" is bugged. You win in 1 turn only.
Also, why start with UM predator and BA sanguinary guard?
Also, Slitherine misspelled the hive Acheron

Return to “Mods and Scenario Design”