v1.11 bugs/issues

It is 1965 and the US ground war in Vietnam is in full swing. As a US Army commander, wage a counter-insurgency (COIN) war to secure the Ia Drang valley, on the border with Cambodia.
rf900
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

v1.11 bugs/issues

Post by rf900 »

Really nice update congratulations, very polished and I was surprised to encounter a small issue so early. I don't think the thread will grow to long ;)

I entered a village with intel (fire) and I spotted an enemy unit adjacent to it. The fire was still lit and I think I didn't get any intel or change in H&M in that turn. Next turn the fire was off.
rf900

Re: v1.11 bugs/issues

Post by rf900 »

Another one, I am 99,9% sure an enemy unit attack mine two times in the same turn, not sure it they are supposed to do that.

There was only 1 nva unit at the start of the turn, it attacked my infantry getting wounded, they moved to the left and attacked again loosing this time. Next turn there was again only 1 nva unit but it was in other place visible to me so it must have spawned that turn.

One more thing, but I am less sure about it, one of my units got injured without me seeing it during enemy turn.
Soar
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by Soar »

New minefields keep appearing within my units' line of sight and ambush range, without the enemies planting them being detected or attacked. Is that working as intended? I am playing on Elite AI.
RealChuckB
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by RealChuckB »

One observation I had: if anything happens that negatively (and probably also positively, not sure if I have seen it) affects the H&M score in the next village, the H&M animation (the red or green hearts) is shown PRIOR to the animation of the actual causing event (example: the red hearts are shown prior my unit stepping on mines)
rf900

Post by rf900 »

There seems to be some issues with the custom game selection options:

- The political points received are not exactly the ones selected, happens with the 5000 option and other cases, but may be related to other options.

- The starting H&M points only works if the random option is selected. If not it always changes to 50 when the game starts.

- For the random H&M values I don't understand it quite well, each village will have a random value but at the same start the game starts with a global value of 45/50/55 which may not be the average of the village values?
Chippit
Vietnam ’65 Lead Programmer
Vietnam ’65 Lead Programmer

Post by Chippit »

rf900 wrote:There was only 1 nva unit at the start of the turn, it attacked my infantry getting wounded, they moved to the left and attacked again loosing this time. Next turn there was again only 1 nva unit but it was in other place visible to me so it must have spawned that turn.
It sounds like the second NVA unit that attacked you actually spawned that turn. Enemies can spawn and move on the same turn, and they do so just after you take your turn. It all sounds like everything working correctly!
Soar wrote:New minefields keep appearing within my units' line of sight and ambush range, without the enemies planting them being detected or attacked. Is that working as intended? I am playing on Elite AI.
This can happen on Veteran and Elite. All working as intended! :)
rf900 wrote:- The political points received are not exactly the ones selected, happens with the 5000 option and other cases, but may be related to other options.
This can be a bit misleading, but it's working as intended. If you have starting units set to random, your final PP is a function of the value of the random units you got at the start, such that the sum of the value of the units you got at the start and the PP you have at the beginning of the game is fixed.
rf900 wrote:- The starting H&M points only works if the random option is selected. If not it always changes to 50 when the game starts.
A bit embarrassing that we missed this one. This is a bug.
rf900 wrote:- For the random H&M values I don't understand it quite well, each village will have a random value but at the same start the game starts with a global value of 45/50/55 which may not be the average of the village values?
Random H&M means each individual village starts with some variation around the value you choose (45/50/55), but they will always guarantee that their average remains equal to your chosen value. The net effect of the random H&M means that some individual villages start off more hostile than others, and may be more or less likely to provide you with intelligence or draw the attention of the NVA from the start. It makes village interaction generally less predictable.
ErissN6
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier

Post by ErissN6 »

Maybe there lacks a weather waitress:
It seems weather slows even the helos, so suddenly they lack an hexe or two to deliver supply or return to base,
and it makes several losses.
Can't there be a warning about coming weather, or we must change our playing (like never go full-afar).
EDIT: Woops sorry, it's the 3 stamps in middle bottom of Reports, I didn't know what these what for lol.
Last edited by ErissN6 on Wed Jun 10, 2015 3:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
rf900

Post by rf900 »

There was only 1 nva unit at the start of the turn, it attacked my infantry getting wounded, they moved to the left and attacked again loosing this time. Next turn there was again only 1 nva unit but it was in other place visible to me so it must have spawned that turn.

It sounds like the second NVA unit that attacked you actually spawned that turn. Enemies can spawn and move on the same turn, and they do so just after you take your turn. It all sounds like everything working correctly!
I am still not fully convinced, if as you say it was another unit that spawned that turn, then next turn total NVA units should be 2. The one that first attacked me wounding my infantry and the new one that was spotted more than 10 hexes away. This happened on the left edge of the map, maybe on reaching the side as the units cannot move further they are able to take another action as they have not spent their movement points or on reaching the side they somehow reset a variable that lets them take another action... Will keep an eye to see if I find something similar.
Every Single Soldier
Vietnam ’65 developer
Vietnam ’65 developer

Post by Every Single Soldier »

There is a three day weather forecast on the Intel map :shock:
Every Single Soldier
Vietnam ’65 developer
Vietnam ’65 developer

Post by Every Single Soldier »

ERISS wrote:Will keep an eye to see if I find something similar.
Difficult for us to recreate, would really appreciate any similar finding with as much detail as possible. :)
rf900

Post by rf900 »

Confirmed, there is something fishy going on, similar thing happened.

There was this NVA unit on the left side, one hex off. I attacked it with my unit, I got injured, my unit occupied the enemy space. Enemy moved to the left hex (border) and then he attacked me during that same turn (my turn) killing my wounded unit. Seems like enemy units in the border get some "free" automatic action.

Return to “Vietnam '65”