CEaW has gone on strike.

Tech support for Commander Europe at War. Requires forum registration.

Moderators: firepowerjohan, Happycat, rkr1958, Slitherine Core

GogTheMild
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

CEaW has gone on strike.

Post by GogTheMild » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:08 pm

Out of nowhere my game has stopped working. It started exhibiting the symptoms I later found described by rkr here: viewtopic.php?f=33&t=13304 . This applied to all versions: 1.12, 2.0, 2.1, 2.2, 3.0. After a bit of faffing around I reset the pc to a few days earlier when I knew CEaW was working fine. No joy. In desperation I removed everything and reloaded from disk. Vanilla wouldn't load, but 2.0 would get to the start menu and then hang. (I have screenshots of the various DOS pages.) So I restored to a previous date again and still I get this when I try to start 3.00 (or 2.2):

I assume that this means that a file has gone walkabout? But it isn't in the recycle bin. And this wouldn't explain why I can't reload from disk. There have been no changes to my pc, nothing recently loaded, other Slitherine games load and play fine.

Any help would be much appreciated - but it needs to be in baby talk; my techno speak is limited. Current opponents please be patient.
We sleep peaceably in our beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on our behalf.

richardsd
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Re: CEaW has gone on strike.

Post by richardsd » Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:53 pm

yes please help, I have just lost my first 3.0 game (by would you believe 1 step!) so I am desperate for more experience and this is one of those :-)

GogTheMild

Post by GogTheMild » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:06 pm

Your last turn that I can't get at must have been quite something then. I thought that you would be appreciating the break :lol: .
We sleep peaceably in our beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on our behalf.

pk867
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by pk867 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:45 pm

Hi Gog,

Did you download the release version Like I suggested?

GogTheMild

Post by GogTheMild » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:58 pm

Not sure where you suggested Paul. Apologies - I have spend much of the afternoon scouring the site looking for something which might cure it. If you could point me at the thread I will dutifully do whatever it says - in so far as my non-techy brain can work it out.

I have just re-downloaded 3.00 from the Matrix site (over 2 hours!) to discover that it now doesn't recognise my serial number! Maybe I have used it too many times?

Edit: Ok, so in spite of having a big Matrix Games logo across the box I needed to download the Slitherine version. Only 3 minutes :) . Live and learn. Did I comment on my lack of techiness?

GogTheMild

Post by GogTheMild » Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:29 am

Yes! Reload 1.12 off the disk, but say "No" to adding 2.00. Download 3.00 from Slitherine, not Matrix. Delete "settings.txt" file from "*:\My Documents\CEaW" but not from anywhere else and it works. Duncan - I will be coming for you. Expect a rubbish turn due to lack of sleep :wink: .

richardsd

Post by richardsd » Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:58 am

we had noticed the invasion of Russia and Persia :-)

pk867
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by pk867 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:23 am

Hi Gog,
I am glad you figured it out. :) Now you two have a good time thrashing each other !

Paul

Peter Stauffenberg
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by Peter Stauffenberg » Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:14 am

It's important to know that GS v3.0 is a completely stand alone mod can be installed directly on top of the vanilla game.

There is no need to go via GS v1.0, GS v2.0 etc.

GogTheMild

Post by GogTheMild » Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:31 pm

Stauffenberg wrote:It's important to know that GS v3.0 is a completely stand alone mod can be installed directly on top of the vanilla game. There is no need to go via GS v1.0, GS v2.0 etc.
True. But it is, to put it mildly, confusing that the Slitherine 3.0 upgrade section is headed "Already have PC CEAW v2.10 or greater?" which gives a different impression. I took this to mean - not unreasonably I think - that I could only add v3.00 to 2.1 or higher.

Return to “Commander - Europe at War : Tech Support”